Apple's latest iPad ad is heavy on apps, adjectives

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    That's how you demonstrate your product, with real life application.

Unlike some ads that turns an eye into a robotic eye...
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post

I haven't seen the ad, but usually iTunes has a place to highlight apps shown in advertisements. I can't access either here at the office, so I can't say for sure.

It's called Star Walk. Great app!
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gizmo33 View Post

It's called Star Walk. Great app!

Is the other app My Blackboard ?
  • Reply 24 of 48
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Why is astrological replaced with magical?

JK I guess they had to stick that somewhere. Honestly iPad is beating all the expectations I had of how many people would buy it. On the other hand some prominent people that bought them (Kevin Rose being one) have stated that the device is not as appealing to them as it was when they bought it.

I think gen2 would be the real gauge of weather iPad is a success or not, after people have been able to compare and decide, and after novelty has worn off some. That said I think gen2 would also be a lot better then gen1.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Out of respect for our nay-sayer brethren, I feel compelled to point out that this commercial does not include necessary disclaimers such as:

1. No USB port.

2. No HDMI.

3. No camera.

4. No Flash support

Clearly, if people knew of these limitations up front, they would not be fooled into buying these crippled devices. On behalf of the nay-sayers, I propose a class action law suit for misleading advertising! Who's with me?
  • Reply 26 of 48
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Out of respect for our nay-sayer brethren, I feel compelled to point out that this commercial does not include necessary disclaimers such as:

1. No USB port.

2. No HDMI.

3. No camera.

4. No Flash support

Clearly, if people knew of these limitations up front, they would not be fooled into buying these crippled devices. On behalf of the nay-sayers, I propose a class action law suit for misleading advertising! Who's with me?

Don't forget it overheats in extreme temperatures or in direct sunlight. Even humans don't do that.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:

1. No USB port.

2. No HDMI.

3. No camera.

4. No Flash support

I'm assuming you are just poking around for reaction. What you consider a "crippled" device is simply a device. With these features (possibly) in future releases... although I have heard that you can connect a USB flash drive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qDrDC-HD-M) using the Camera Connection Kit and iFile to access it.

Engadget has an old story about connecting a USB keyboard and/or headset (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/25/i...board-support/)...

But like I said, I get the distinct impression you were just trolling for reaction.

And, I would like official USB support, too.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

They forgot one word: stallion ...when referring to the battery stamina

I am hoping though my iPad battery life will continue to be quite good after a year or two. Too early to tell at this stage.

Not trying to be critical here but why turn a positive into a negative? Imagine how silly it would be for me to say: Wow, today is such a wonderful day .... I only hope that 2 years from now will be a good day too. I mean, it's no big deal but I just think, for me at least, it's better to see and focus on the positive than to even consider the negatives.

Now if, in two years time, the battery is not all you think it should be ... then , by all means ... criticize away...... just my 2 cents
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Don't forget it overheats in extreme temperatures or in direct sunlight. Even humans don't do that.

I don't know about that ..... back in the day, I've been known to heat up in the back seat of my old chevy ..... ( Dick A , here's your straight line, don't screw it up) ....
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by H2P View Post

I'm assuming you are just poking around for reaction. What you consider a "crippled" device is simply a device. With these features (possibly) in future releases... although I have heard that you can connect a USB flash drive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qDrDC-HD-M) using the Camera Connection Kit and iFile to access it.

Engadget has an old story about connecting a USB keyboard and/or headset (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/25/i...board-support/)...

But like I said, I get the distinct impression you were just trolling for reaction.

And, I would like official USB support, too.

Actually, I think his post was just a shot at the Apple haters. He has a subtle brand of humor ..... but still humorous, all the same.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Not trying to be critical here but why turn a positive into a negative? Imagine how silly it would be for me to say: Wow, today is such a wonderful day .... I only hope that 2 years from now will be a good day too. I mean, it's no big deal but I just think, for me at least, it's better to see and focus on the positive than to even consider the negatives.

Now if, in two years time, the battery is not all you think it should be ... then , by all means ... criticize away...... just my 2 cents

Batteries are known to degrade over time. So his comment makes sense. Your wonderful day analogy has no correlation because the weather is good some days and bad on others. But there is nothing wrong with being an optimist.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Actually, I think his post was just a shot at the Apple haters. He has a subtle brand of humor ..... but still humorous, all the same.

Bingo, and for the sake of multi-cultural interpretation: Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner! Ding, ding, ding, ding! Correctomundo! Got it right on the nose! Boom!

I'd better throw in a few of these for good measure.

Some of us have a long standing tradition of poking fun at the Apple bashers. They are always full of what is wrong with the latest Apple product and why it will fail. The iPad's success makes them look kind of stupid. I like to help make them look stupid by poking fun at them. It is all in good fun. No worries.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Batteries are known to degrade over time. So his comment makes sense. Your wonderful day analogy has no correlation because the weather is good some days and bad on others. But there is nothing wrong with being an optimist.

According to Al Gore .... weather degrades over time, as well.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:

Bingo, and for the sake of multi-cultural interpretation: Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner! Ding, ding, ding, ding! Correctomundo! Got it right on the nose! Boom!

I'd better throw in a few of these for good measure.

Wow, all these prizes ..... I'm gonna need a bigger "grab bag" ! or not.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:

1. No USB port.

2. No HDMI.

3. No camera.

4. No Flash support

Bill Gates and his hardware partners released tablets 9years ago with those features you mention and again the iPad sold more units then any other company combine together for the past 9 years. Even tablet running windows 7 can't match the fraction what Apple sold. Even Microsot have to ask iPad users to come to their head office to answer some question and in return you get a gift.

USB, I hardly use it on my Macbook, and all the time I used email to transfer files.

No camera, I think camera on tablet is not practical, webcam yes. My opinion I don't need a camera because my iPhone already has a camera. Just imagine holding a 10" tablet to try to take a photo, compare to the iPhone.

Most site is supporting HTML 5, and it's more efficient than flash and doesn't kill your battery

life. HDMI is pointless because the iPad screen doesn't support full HD.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    I was completely on-board with the entire ad until they resorted to that tired 'Magical' nonsense.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    It's a good ad. Apple did a nice job. The term "magical" is fine with me. To the totally non-techie types like my wife and kids who are 10 and 6, it is indeed "magical" to them when they mess with one at an Apple Store. All of us want one bad, but I'm holding out for version 2 next year.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Magical is appropriate - how else does an underpowered, large iPod Touch out- muscle a netbook with "real" apps, a full bloated OS, USB ports, and 2 hours of battery life? Magic, that's how.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Magical is appropriate - how else does an underpowered, large iPod Touch out- muscle a netbook with "real" apps, a full bloated OS, USB ports, and 2 hours of battery life? Magic, that's how.

While I enjoy my iPad for some applications your comments about netbooks is somewhat misleading. Your average netbook by Asus can run Windows XP or Windows 7 Starter without any problems. Most also come with a 6 cell battery that can last 10 hours with moderate use. So the iPad battery life for something not running a full OS isn't all that special.

The iPad actually lacks alot. For most of us even on this forum we find it hard to justify pulling out our iPad when our MBP is right there in sleep mode and can do everything.

The iPad is one of those products thats seems great when you first start using it and then over time you find it meets our needs less and less. Hopefully it will mature as a product and narrow the gap from what it is to what it truly can be.

As an example there is no reason the iPad can't have a USB port and an HDMI out port. There is also no reason why a multi function tablet isn't powerful enough to stream flash content.

Remember many members of this forum said this product was going to narrow the gap or for that matter Slate computing was going to take over notebooks and it isn't even remotely close to doing either.

I would also love to see the iPad get alot more attention when it comes to higher end games. The reality is the iPad could be the best hand held gaming system ever built and I just don't see alot going into higher end games for some reason.

I am thinking just like the iPhone the iPad 4 could be a very different product then the one I have today. Or at least I hope so.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

While I enjoy my iPad for some applications your comments about netbooks is somewhat misleading. Your average netbook by Asus can run Windows XP or Windows 7 Starter without any problems. Most also come with a 6 cell battery that can last 10 hours with moderate use. So the iPad battery life for something not running a full OS isn't all that special.

The iPad actually lacks alot. For most of us even on this forum we find it hard to justify pulling out our iPad when our MBP is right there in sleep mode and can do everything.

The iPad is one of those products thats seems great when you first start using it and then over time you find it meets our needs less and less. Hopefully it will mature as a product and narrow the gap from what it is to what it truly can be.

As an example there is no reason the iPad can't have a USB port and an HDMI out port. There is also no reason why a multi function tablet isn't powerful enough to stream flash content.

Remember many members of this forum said this product was going to narrow the gap or for that matter Slate computing was going to take over notebooks and it isn't even remotely close to doing either.

I would also love to see the iPad get alot more attention when it comes to higher end games. The reality is the iPad could be the best hand held gaming system ever built and I just don't see alot going into higher end games for some reason.

I am thinking just like the iPhone the iPad 4 could be a very different product then the one I have today. Or at least I hope so.

My comment is facetious at best - I wouldn't call the iPad magical, but I prefer it to any of the netbooks I've been unfortunate enough to play with.

I use my iPad every single day. I carry it to school, I lie in bed with it and watch movies and play games, and I read USA Today every morning on it when I'm downing my breakfast protein shake.

As for Flash, I installed Flash on my iPhone and iPad just so I could watch Joe Cartoon - runs pretty good, too.

I think Version 1 of the iPad is awesome - look forward to 2,3,4,5.....

The iPad lacks a lot of the features found on my iMac, Macbook Pro etc... of course, it was designed to be different than those devices - and I knew that when I bought it.