Verizon will stream live FiOS TV over home Wi-Fi to Apple's iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
An upcoming iPad app from Verizon will enable subscribers of its FiOS service to stream live TV over their home Wi-Fi networks.

Verizon's announcement on Wednesday unveiled several new video applications for its TV and video services, as reported by NewTeeVee. The upcoming iPad app, which is due out early next year, will utilize what Verizon CIO Shaygan Kheradpir called "cloud TV." Usage will initially be limited to within FiOS subscribers' own homes.

According to Verizon, the technical aspects for the app already in place, and the last hurdle is the company's ongoing talks with content partners to work out the legality of streaming to the device. Verizon claimed it should already have streaming rights, since the iPad is "just another screen in the home."

Kheradpir showed the nearly finished app streaming a live CNN video. Time Warner, the parent company of CNN, has been working together with Verizon to develop the app. While several other content providers are also working on their own iPad apps, Verizon's efforts stand out because it hopes to offer streaming content rather than remote control features.

The iPad wasn't the only device featured at Wednesday's press conference. Verizon also demoed FlexView, a video on demand app due later this year, that will work on Android phones, the Blackberry Storm, and Windows Mobile 6.5. An iOS version will follow at a later date. Videos purchased or rented through FlexView would be stored in the cloud and accessible by multiple devices.

Apple was rumored to have been working on a competing streaming video and TV service for several years, but recent reports point to disagreements on licensing terms as the cause of repeated delays.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Knock me over with a feather. Verizon has ignored Macs since forever, and does not support them at its WiFi access points. You need Windows in order to connect.

Well golleeee-gosh, they've figured out how to do it. Shucks - I just didn't believe they had it in 'em.

Will they support Macs on their FiOS now, or just iPads?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Still need slingbox to leave the house tho
  • Reply 3 of 14
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    If you opened a port up, you'd probably be able to connect to the service just as if you were on wifi, probably.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An upcoming iPad app from Verizon will enable subscribers of its FiOS service to stream live TV over their home Wi-Fi networks.

Wow! That is so great! Verizon is GREAT!

Most people prefer the more intimate experience of the iPad over some megalith hanging on the wall, way over there. It is much more immersive.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Your move, Comcast.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Looks like we can now confirm the arrival of a CDMA iPhone next year.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Knock me over with a feather. Verizon has ignored Macs since forever, and does not support them at its WiFi access points. You need Windows in order to connect.

Well golleeee-gosh, they've figured out how to do it. Shucks - I just didn't believe they had it in 'em.

Not sure what you mean. My FiOS works perfectly with my several Macs. Admittedly, I replaced the ActionTec AP with a Netgear AP, but I still have the ActionTec daisy-chained onto it, to provide the MoCA access to the DVR.

My Macs also worked perfectly fine with the ActionTec alone, before I replaced/augmented it with the WNDR3700. FiOS, after all, is just an access method, nothing prohibits you from using Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.

Perhaps you are referring to their DVR software?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    Now if only Verizon offered FiOS service to northern San Diego County ... I swear as soon as they do I will be the first to sign up.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zok2000 View Post

Not sure what you mean. My FiOS works perfectly with my several Macs. Admittedly, I replaced the ActionTec AP with a Netgear AP, but I still have the ActionTec daisy-chained onto it, to provide the MoCA access to the DVR.

My Macs also worked perfectly fine with the ActionTec alone, before I replaced/augmented it with the WNDR3700. FiOS, after all, is just an access method, nothing prohibits you from using Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.

Perhaps you are referring to their DVR software?

I think what plo is referring to is the Verizon WIFI hotspots around town that are free to access for Fios subscribers. Unfortunately, you cannot access these via iOS or OS X. device.

Hopefully this will change soon!

Love my Fios
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An upcoming iPad app from Verizon will enable subscribers of its FiOS service to stream live TV over their home Wi-Fi networks. Usage will initially be limited to within FiOS subscribers' own homes.

I really hate to be negative again, but someone has to be the voice of reason here.

No one is happier than me to see Apple and Verizon collaborate on anything together. But....Why in the world would I want to watch FIOS in my house on an iPad when I have a big flatscreen hanging on the wall?? Isn't the whole point of FIOS to have hi def programming to show off the aforementioned big flatscreen TV? If I'm watching TV on an iPad I must be on the road. Where this service doesn't work naturally.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Wow! That is so great! Verizon is GREAT!

Most people prefer the more intimate experience of the iPad over some megalith hanging on the wall, way over there. It is much more immersive.

HUH??? Most people would rather watch TV on a ten inch mega glossy screen than on a huge flatscreen? And I thought the world was ramping up to have 3-D in the living room. But no. According to the forum here, it's the 2-D ten inch iPad that rules the living room.

(Bangs head on the wall.) Okay, I guess Steve Jobs steers the home theater industry too.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Not sure what modem you got, but the Actiontek I have for my FiOS in greater Boston area has worked perfectly for 4+ years on all 9 of the Mac's in my house along with the 2 Windows boxes, 1 linux box, 2 SPARCS, and 1 SGI IRIX box.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

That's a bizarre viewpoint - even for you. Given the choice between watching a movie or TV show on my 54" TV or my iPad, I'll choose the TV every time. The iPad's great for when I'm traveling and don't have access to the TV, but it's not going to replace a TV.

Now, to answer someone else's question, there IS a time when this might be useful. Say I have 2 TVs. Wife is watching one and I'm watching another. Daughter wants to watch something else. She can use the iPad for that.

Although that happens pretty rarely in my house, there might be some heavy TV watchers who would use it.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member

Sniff sniff... PHEW!!! What IS that smell?!?!?!

Oh yea, it's the management at Netflix, Hulu, et-al collectively shitting their pants.

Between this and the HBO announcement can the other movie channels AND the other major cable networks be far behind. Holy CRAP is this what it looks like when the cable industry FINALLY gets it or is that just wishful thinking on my part? \