Hello, I'm a jailbreaker: Actor Justin Long demos hacked iPhone

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

yes you can????? go on so... update the ECU with something you downloaded from somewhere else.

Install a diff from a mini into a ferrari with ease. reprogram the airbag sensors. go on , please, do it. and tell me how you did it here. i'd love to hear how you cross-graded an ECU Firmware.

and dont compare gas to software, thats dumb. the closest comparison might be that an iphone charges off the same electricity as your nokia/motorola/brand X

honestly !!!!

mines bigger anyway !

What exactly they hell do you think you are trying to say? Are any of those things legal? if they are, then yes, you are free to do so. Would they work from a technical level? maybe not. Doesn't mean you are forbidden to do it, unless by law. You seem to be confused. By saying you could do something, I didn't mean it was ease or even technically workable. I meant that assuming it wasn't an illegal activity, you are free to do it, yuo have the right to do it, even if the manufacturer says not to. If it was a legal activity, then the most they could do would be to void you warranty. Do you not get that? It isn't really that complicated, for most anyway. As I said, if you do it, there might be consequences, like a non-functional car, but that was your choice. If I soak my phone under water for a couple hour, it would void my warranty and the consequence is that it probably won't work afterwards. But, it is totally within my rights to do so.

The gas analogy was to try to keep things simple. I guess you missed that. It was an example of a restriction that a manufacturer might put in place that would simple to circumvent, be within the law to do so but might void your warranty. What's dumb is that someone didn't understand that.
  • Reply 102 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Jailbreakers jailbreak for the fun and the challenge of it. The fact that Apple doesn't allow so many stuff makes it even more exciting for people to jailbreak..

What would a hacker do if all of a sudden all computers become open and security non-existent? What would they do if there's nothing to hack anymore? They'd all be working at McDonalds or some other career...

People especially Jailbreakers should thank Apple for being so restrictive.

What would they do? Buy an Android platform phone.

Then get really quite in 2 years when the OS doesn't update their phone and the Gen 2 iPhone is still plugging away.

Jailbreak or don't -- Apple is still getting your money. They just don't have to be responsible for what happens even though you are still using their phone. The Desktop configuration paradigm doesn't need to follow us onto the phone -- but it's fine for some that it does. But not for Grandma.

The complaint is kind of silly -- sure there are a few things I'd like to have on the iPhone. But for the vast majority of people, they don't want to hassle. Other than a few odd cases, Apple's restrictions make sense -- and NOT having a universal non-native run-time like Flash that sucks the battery life, makes sense OVER TIME. Right now, it affects the User, but over time, the User won't be having a sub-par experience so that Adobe can rule the world. Apple wants to rule their platform and they get ZERO benefit from Flash.

You jailbreak your phone, you run flash -- and guess what? No Battery life. Gee, who'd a thunk it?

I develop in Flash -- and it's a Pain in the @ss sometimes because you are running on a "development environment" that is trying to make things more complicated (versus AS2) without too much real world benefits, and then that sits on their plugin on top of some browser that communicates to a server. Actionscript to Javascript through a web-security model through a Proxy to your Server running ASP or something.

Even though I really like Flash for some things -- it's kind of ridiculous to ADD all those layers and THEN put it on a Phone. I should be developing at a lower level rather than 5 layers of abstraction. It becomes a Rube Goldberg machine where you scratch a cat that hits a candle that burns through a string, and THAT shows you an animated icon on your browser page. Fun, huh?

If Flash had a Windows emulator on top -- what about that? Please, Gawd, please no more layers of abstraction!
  • Reply 103 of 110
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Why, yes, yes you can. It might void your warranty, but that isn't the point. At all. Remotely. ...

Well, I don't think it's a particularly good analogy, but, you really can't do just anything you want with your car. (Which is one of the reasons why it's not really a good analogy.) Most states, in the US at least, require it to pass some sort of inspection, and some mods you could make would cause it to fail and not be allowed on the road. So, even beyond warranty considerations, you can't just do what you like with your car and expect to be able to use it.
  • Reply 104 of 110
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, I don't think it's a particularly good analogy, but, you really can't do just anything you want with your car. (Which is one of the reasons why it's not really a good analogy.) Most states, in the US at least, require it to pass some sort of inspection, and some mods you could make would cause it to fail and not be allowed on the road. So, even beyond warranty considerations, you can't just do what you like with your car and expect to be able to use it.

You mean modification that would not be legal? yeah, i covered that. In your specific examples, you would still be legally allowed to make those mods, but the consequences would be that you couldn't legally operate it on the road. But you wouldn't be barred from actually doing the mods. The consequence would be you have a nice expensive lawn ornament if it can't then pass government regulations and laws.

You also couldn't drive it into a federal building and blow it up. Nor could you take your phone and throw it at someone's head. You are not allowed to take your baseball bat and crush someone's skull. But those are example of illegal activities.

Now, back to legal activities. If you are legally allowed to do it, then the manufacturer really has no say, other than voiding warranty.
  • Reply 105 of 110
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Jimmy and Jason ... I could not care less.
  • Reply 106 of 110
    satcomersatcomer Posts: 130member
    The majority of Jail Breakers want free Apps that available where they don't have to pay the App store prices. They want that new Add shown on TV for free.

The best thing I have heard is the people who Jail Break are freetards that think all software should be free. They are the same people who get their Windows software fell off the back of a truck. They all need PhotoShop and that new cool game too, for FREE.
  • Reply 107 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Flash is kept off the iOS, if you can say kept off when Adobe hasn't produced a working version for the iOS that Apple has approved to date, due to the excessive battery usage of Flash.

The terms of use for the iOS SDK specifically prohibit anybody from using the SDK to produce any application that can download and run interpreted code -- unless one of the iOS's documented built-in APIs (such as its Javascript engine) is used to interpret that code.

ActionScript, which forms the basis for every Flash document, large and small, would need to be interpreted, and the iOS doesn't supply any appropriate API to perform the interpretation. Hence Adobe is prohibited from using the iOS SDK to produce a working Flash player. Even if they wanted to, even if they knew that they could do it without incurring any performance or battery life penalty, they would be prohibited from doing so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And your facts are wrong. Apple isn't keeping Flash videos off the iPhone. Adobe has never released a version of Flash that runs - even on jailbroken iPhones. Direct your bitterness at Adobe.

A corporation as large and publicly visible as Adobe would never be so irresponsible as to release software that can only run on a jailbroken phone -- they know better than to produce and market software whose only possible usefulness would be to induce its customers to violate another company's EULA.
  • Reply 108 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The gas analogy was to try to keep things simple. I guess you missed that. It was an example of a restriction that a manufacturer might put in place that would simple to circumvent, be within the law to do so but might void your warranty.

Actually, any warranty that tried to void itself based purely on using off-brand gasoline would probably be ruled illegal and unenforceable. That's called bundling, and there is a law in the USA that sets down the minimum standards that all consumer warranties have to meet. One such standard is that the manufacturer cannot void a warranty purely on the basis of having installed parts manufactured by a 3rd party, or service performed by a 3rd party.

Rather, the warranty can be voided because the 3rd party part that was chosen wasn't up to specifications, and its use resulted in even more damage. Or, the warranty can be voided because a 3rd party service provider did the wrong thing, which resulted in even more damage.
  • Reply 109 of 110
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Maybe...but isn't it sad that ot have functionality he had to jailbreak his phone?

On the other hand maybe he has the rest of his app icons hidden to keep what he has on his phone private?

Not really, not for this feature. Universal video out is pretty much pointless for 99.9% of users.

the 0.1% already know how to jailbreak. Problem solved.
  • Reply 110 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I love comments like this. I own my car. Can I do what I want with it?

Frankly, YES!!! Some of what you do may be illegal and might certainly have other consequences.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

And just because it carries no criminal consequence, doesn't imply carte blanche. My car came with a warranty, but if I intentionally crash it, I doubt the manufacturer will replace the drivetrain for free.

Where to begin. A warranty covers manufacturer defect, a driver/owner defect is certainly not covered under warranty (don't we all wish it were), hope you have insurance. Oh, and intentionally crashing your car is probably illegal as well. This analogy just doesn't work.

You seem to miss the point here probably intentionally but when you own a product you can do whatever you want with that product. The original post simply stated "you own it you can do what every you want to with it since it's not illegal but there may be other consequences such as voiding the warranty"