Replaced old MacBook pro keyboard with newer keyboard, FN key mapping is wrong

mjimji
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My Macbook Pro (purchased in July of 2006)'s keyboard was damaged (the left/right arrow keys were dead, my "E" key had broken, some of the backlight LEDs were burnt out, etc.) so I purchased a replacement keyboard for about $30 from some dealer in Singapore. Unfortunately, the keyboard is slightly newer than the version that my computer came with... I guess that at some point Apple removed the Apple logo from the command keys, re-arranged the pictures on the FN keys, and got rid of num lock. Snow Leopard, however, thinks I'm still using my old keyboard, which has made certain things, like adjusting the volume, kind of confusing. Worse still, there's no light-up num-lock indicator on this keyboard, so when I accidentally engage it and the keyboard stops working correctly as a result, I have no visual indicator of what I've done.

Is there any way to change how OS X maps these keys?

On a related note, Apple also changed the way the newer keyboards clip to the case, so the left side of my keyboard doesn't quite sit flush against the bottom of its compartment... this is a little bit annoying. Anyone have any idea where I can get the older-style keyboard? Or, better yet, find a replacement keyboard/trackpad/upper case module that will be compatible with my Macbook pro.

Thanks,

Michael

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mji View Post

Is there any way to change how OS X maps these keys?

An app called ControllerMate will let you remap them. It can be tricky to get the hang of but it's very powerful software.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mji View Post

Anyone have any idea where I can get the older-style keyboard? Or, better yet, find a replacement keyboard/trackpad/upper case module that will be compatible with my Macbook pro.

You get parts dealers on eBay, some have websites. An Apple reseller or repair shop might be able to get you one but they'll charge more.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Search for part number 922-7183. Even entering the number alone into eBay yields almost purely MBP keyboards.