Apple now shipping Mac Pro desktop preorders

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Customers who ordered Apple's latest Mac Pro desktop with up to 12 processing cores have received notification that their order has shipped.

One U.S. customer on the east coast who contacted AppleInsider said their Mac Pro is scheduled for delivery on Aug 24.

The shipments mean Apple remains on schedule -- preorders for the desktop began on Aug. 9 and were said to ship in 7 to 10 business days. Thursday was 8 days after ordering began.

New orders from Apple are now scheduled to ship in 5 to 7 business days for all models -- the Quad-Core, 8-Core and 12-Core powered desktops.

The upgraded desktop is available in three standard options: a quad-core 2.8GHz Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processor with 3GB of RAM for $2,499; an 8-core machine with two 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Xeon "Westmere" processors and 6GB of RAM for $3,499; or a 12-core system with two 2.66GHz 6-core Intel Xeon "Westmere" processors and 6GB of RAM for $4,999.

Apple unveiled the machines in late July, but they were not yet available for customers to purchase. At the time the company said the hardware would simply be available in August, without providing a specific date.

With the latest Intel Xeon processors and up to 12 processing cores, the latest Mac Pros are up to 50 percent faster than their predecessors. They also exclusively come with ATI powered graphics, with the Radeon HD 5770 graphics processor with 1GB of memory standard, and an upgrade option for the even faster Radeon HD 5870 with 1GB of memory.

Also announced in late July but still unavailable to purchase is the new 27-inch LED Cinema Display. The hardware, which sports a 2,560-by-1,440 pixel resolution and 60 percent more screen real estate than the previous 24-inch model, is set to ship in September for $999.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    I'm surprised that no one has posted on this. There were so many crying for a new Mac Pro--where are you --comments????
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Seriously? People got emails saying they were shipping four days ago.

Today, some of them have already arrived and people have reports and pictures posted.

Way to keep up.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    I see an unbox video on YouTube, so mindbinder is right... wait, that's a video from May for an older 8-core. Ah well.

I just want to know when we'll get a '$5000 is too much for a 12-core Pro machine expandable to 64GB, I could build a Hackintosh with... uh... 6 cores... for way less!'. C'mon people, where are you!?
  • Reply 4 of 60
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Today, some of them have already arrived and people have reports and pictures posted.

links?
  • Reply 5 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

I'm surprised that no one has posted on this. There were so many crying for a new Mac Pro--where are you --comments????

Yep, ordered mine. Including a 30" cinema display. Still think it's a shame Apple is discontinuing all non-gloss displays. Hence all the people ordering the remaining stock of these big screens. Still the best compared to the Dell and what have you not.

As far as the new Mac Pro model goes, I don't think it's anything to write home about. It's just another speed bump, aka evolution. A memory downgrade actually on the single quad core, but who will buy that? The 8 core is hardly any improvement: more expensive and you get a 1TB instead of 640GB but a good video card upgrade. The 12 core might be needed for a niche market. But since Apple doesn't brake down their sales numbers, I don't know where to get any information on that. Anyone knows specific sales numbers for every Mac model?

Cheers,

Phil
  • Reply 6 of 60
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

I see an unbox video on YouTube, so mindbinder is right... wait, that's a video from May for an older 8-core. Ah well.

I just want to know when we'll get a '$5000 is too much for a 12-core Pro machine expandable to 64GB, I could build a Hackintosh with... uh... 6 cores... for way less!'. C'mon people, where are you!?

Kind of strange to be trolling for trolls, isn't it?
  • Reply 7 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

As far as the new Mac Pro model goes, I don't think it's anything to write home about. It's just another speed bump, aka evolution.

It is too bad they didn't do USB 3 / FW 1600 / something exciting beyond what other manufacturers are doing, though given the focus on consumer devices, I guess I'm not shocked. The speed bump side is true, and sadly with AMD offering no real competition to Intel at the moment, that's I guess to be expected. (Ah, lovely P4 with 100MHz bumps... until AMD unleashed Athlon!) It's awful watching speed bumps get smaller and prices climb, but it won't change until somebody can light a fire under Intel's butt again. \
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

Sure, but... every Mac Pro thread has to have that complaint, so it's feeling like an unfulfilled thread-promise so far.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Sure, but... every Mac Pro thread has to have that complaint, so it's feeling like an unfulfilled thread-promise so far.

I find you a sad lonely dude.

NO amount of money can reproduce what apple does

HARD AND SOFT ware wise that is .

apple 12 core works better than any wintel carp ever made .

maybe play some syd tonight to open your brain.

peace

• Reply 10 of 60
    Quote:

Where is the headless Mac so I can have 3.5 " hard drives and real video cards that I can upgrade myself.

Feel better?
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Mine shipped on the 17th and so far it appears stuck in Hong Kong

It is scheduled to deliver on the 23rd. I guess I should have signed up for 2-day shipping. Oh well.

I ordered this:

One 3.33GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

3GB (3x1GB)

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB

1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

One 18x SuperDrive

$3500 with education discount. I figured the 3.33GHz 6-core would be faster than an 8-core 2.4GHz which was around the same price. A few of my friends thought I was crazy for getting this configuration at that price but when we looked at other options like Dell, a similar workstation was around the same price. The Dell came out to like $200 cheaper but I'd take the Mac over a Dell anytime thank you.

Also for all those people saying I could have saved money if I built a Hackintosh, I've done it before and in my experience it's a headache. No support, too many incompatibilities, software upgrades tend to break things, etc. It's just a nightmare I don't want to deal with again.

This machine is replacing my 2006 Mac Pro which served it's purpose and kept it's value over time. I just sold it for $1500 so that will pay for almost 50% of my new Mac Pro. When I sold my Hackintosh I was lucky to get $500 for it. So for all those people complaining about the price and specs of the new Mac Pro lineup, do your research. I found the total cost of ownership to be worth it if you need the power and will keep it for a while.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Where is the headless Mac so I can have 3.5 " hard drives and real video cards that I can upgrade myself.

Feel better?

brucep, not so much - I love my Mac Pro, but thank you bigdaddyp! Feeling much better now!
  • Reply 13 of 60
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

It is too bad they didn't do USB 3 / FW 1600 / something exciting beyond what other manufacturers are doing, though given the focus on consumer devices, I guess I'm not shocked. The speed bump side is true, and sadly with AMD offering no real competition to Intel at the moment, that's I guess to be expected. (Ah, lovely P4 with 100MHz bumps... until AMD unleashed Athlon!) It's awful watching speed bumps get smaller and prices climb, but it won't change until somebody can light a fire under Intel's butt again. \

Yep, I've got a friend with a Closed Captioning business who processes HD video all the time. She was ready for a 12 core with some other nice speed improvements like USB 3 etc. She is disappointed and will not buy the 12 core at that price. She'll either wait or go with the 8 core.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by felipeb View Post

Mine shipped on the 17th and so far it appears stuck in Hong Kong

It is scheduled to deliver on the 23rd. I guess I should have signed up for 2-day shipping. Oh well.

I ordered this:

One 3.33GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

3GB (3x1GB)

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB

1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

One 18x SuperDrive

$3500 with education discount. I figured the 3.33GHz 6-core would be faster than an 8-core 2.4GHz which was around the same price. A few of my friends thought I was crazy for getting this configuration at that price but when we looked at other options like Dell, a similar workstation was around the same price. The Dell came out to like $200 cheaper but I'd take the Mac over a Dell anytime thank you.

Also for all those people saying I could have saved money if I built a Hackintosh, I've done it before and in my experience it's a headache. No support, too many incompatibilities, software upgrades tend to break things, etc. It's just a nightmare I don't want to deal with again.

This machine is replacing my 2006 Mac Pro which served it's purpose and kept it's value over time. I just sold it for $1500 so that will pay for almost 50% of my new Mac Pro. When I sold my Hackintosh I was lucky to get $500 for it. So for all those people complaining about the price and specs of the new Mac Pro lineup, do your research. I found the total cost of ownership to be worth it if you need the power and will keep it for a while.

I priced out one of the dell precision models vs. a mac pro when these were announced. It varies on what processor goes into it. It is possible to get a "precision T3500" with a w3680 6 core processor like the one apple uses on the single socket machine for $2429. I just left hard drives and ram as stock on this as I always do my own upgrades, but it's mainly the hard drive that's far behind apple on this one (320 gb). Graphics cards are workstation options throughout which can simply mean different drivers are used, but it makes it a difficult comparison there. The dell did come with a 3 year warranty standard. This was more out of curiousity as I have no intention of buying a dell. I haven't tried one of those so I don't know how overall build quality compares, but I hate Windows, so it's not going to happen. Regarding resale values, try selling a G5 now. The earlier mac pro is still supported. If this changed its value would decline far more rapidly. I like apple but they could stop cheapening what they offer at their $2500 price point.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    They are saying mine will be here tomorrow by noon. I'm polishing the altar...and no, that's not a euphemism.

BG
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Mac-Pros-are-shipping-gate!
  • Reply 17 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

Pitiful is more like it.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I find you a sad lonely dude.

NO amount of money can reproduce what apple does

HARD AND SOFT ware wise that is .

apple 12 core works better than any wintel carp ever made .

maybe play some syd tonight to open your brain.

peace

You're advising someone to "open their brain" after that stream of unintelligible crap?

No offense, but are you retarded?
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I priced out one of the dell precision models vs. a mac pro when these were announced. It varies on what processor goes into it. It is possible to get a "precision T3500" with a w3680 6 core processor like the one apple uses on the single socket machine for $2429. I just left hard drives and ram as stock on this as I always do my own upgrades, but it's mainly the hard drive that's far behind apple on this one (320 gb). Graphics cards are workstation options throughout which can simply mean different drivers are used, but it makes it a difficult comparison there. The dell did come with a 3 year warranty standard. This was more out of curiousity as I have no intention of buying a dell. I haven't tried one of those so I don't know how overall build quality compares, but I hate Windows, so it's not going to happen. Regarding resale values, try selling a G5 now. The earlier mac pro is still supported. If this changed its value would decline far more rapidly. I like apple but they could stop cheapening what they offer at their $2500 price point.

I just tried building a similar computer at Dell again :
    • Dell Precision T3500, CMT, Standard Power Supply, C2 Motherboard

• Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, No Media, 32-bit, English\t

• Six Core Intel® Xeon® W3680 3.33GHz, 12M L3, 6.4GT/s\t

• 3 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3 Year NBD On-Site Service

• 3GB, 1333MHz, DDR3 SDRAM, ECC (3 DIMMS)

• Mini-Tower Chassis Configuration w/ 1394 Card\t

• 1GB ATI FirePro V5800, Triple MON, 2 DP & 1 DVI

• C1 All SATA or SSD drives, No RAID for 1 Hard Drive

• Integrated Intel chipset SATA 3.0Gb/s controller

• 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s,7200 RPM Hard Drive with 32MB DataBurst Cache?\t

• 16X DVD+/-RW w/ Cyberlink PowerDVD?/Roxio Creator?, No Media\t

• Broadcom NetXtreme 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet controller

Starting Price\t\t$3,550.00

Instant Savings\t\t$315.00

Subtotal\t\t$3,235.00

The above is a close configuration to my Mac Pro.

Let's ignore the operating system and case.

The 6-core 3.33GHz CPU is the same on both computers.

The warranty is better on a Dell because Apple only offers 1 year. Dell doesn't let you downgrade so I couldn't modify it to match my Mac.

The RAM is the same

I had to add the option for a firewire card since my Mac has firewire.

The V5800 is a cousin of the 5870. If you look online, they both are around the same price. Both have 1 GB memory and both have 2 DP and 1 DVI

I had to upgrade the HDD to match the 1 TB drive on my Mac

I had to upgrade the DVD drive to include a burner just like my Mac

I had to add 1 more networking card to match the two Ethernet ports on my Mac

The Dell is cheaper by $200-300. The only difference is a 3 year warranty vs Apple's 1 year. The rest of the specs are very very similar.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by felipeb View Post

I just tried building a similar computer at Dell again :
    • Dell Precision T3500, CMT, Standard Power Supply, C2 Motherboard

• Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, No Media, 32-bit, English\t

• Six Core Intel® Xeon® W3680 3.33GHz, 12M L3, 6.4GT/s\t

• 3 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3 Year NBD On-Site Service

• 3GB, 1333MHz, DDR3 SDRAM, ECC (3 DIMMS)

• Mini-Tower Chassis Configuration w/ 1394 Card\t

• 1GB ATI FirePro V5800, Triple MON, 2 DP & 1 DVI

• C1 All SATA or SSD drives, No RAID for 1 Hard Drive

• Integrated Intel chipset SATA 3.0Gb/s controller

• 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s,7200 RPM Hard Drive with 32MB DataBurst Cache?\t

• 16X DVD+/-RW w/ Cyberlink PowerDVD?/Roxio Creator?, No Media\t

• Broadcom NetXtreme 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet controller

Starting Price\t\t$3,550.00

Instant Savings\t\t$315.00

Subtotal\t\t$3,235.00

The above is a close configuration to my Mac Pro.

Let's ignore the operating system and case.

The 6-core 3.33GHz CPU is the same on both computers.

The warranty is better on a Dell because Apple only offers 1 year. Dell doesn't let you downgrade so I couldn't modify it to match my Mac.

The RAM is the same

I had to add the option for a firewire card since my Mac has firewire.

The V5800 is a cousin of the 5870. If you look online, they both are around the same price. Both have 1 GB memory and both have 2 DP and 1 DVI

I had to upgrade the HDD to match the 1 TB drive on my Mac

I had to upgrade the DVD drive to include a burner just like my Mac

I had to add 1 more networking card to match the two Ethernet ports on my Mac

The Dell is cheaper by $200-300. The only difference is a 3 year warranty vs Apple's 1 year. The rest of the specs are very very similar.

Why are you getting a single chip 6 core mac? You can get an 2 chip 8 total core for $3499, which is cheaper AND will likely be the same speed OR faster.

Is it because Dell doesn't offer dual chip machines? So you choose the "oddest"custom built config from Apple??

One more thing, CALL APPLE ON THE PHONE and ask for a discount that matches the educational discount. They have given me a discount on my last 4 desktops and I have bought and I didn't pretend to be a student.

The single chip 6 core is $3,379 and the 8 core dual chip is $3199. Add Apple care to the 8 core and the dell cost the same - same warranty - but no Mac OS X.