Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

What is an iProd ???

embedded future mobile iProduct
  • Reply 22 of 66
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

What is an iProd ???

Perhaps a misspelling of the long rumored iPron?
  • Reply 23 of 66
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

it's possible that those place holders are related to an Apple TV reincarnation -- rumored to be dubbed iTV -- that will reportedly jettison its existing Mac OS X-based software platform for one built around iOS 4.0 and capable of running applications found on the App Store.

Umm, how would you run touch-based apps on a TV?
  • Reply 24 of 66
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    The music media event should be exciting. I'm pulling for the new iPad and AppleTV form factors with iOS on them.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    my guess would be that the iProd(uct) 2,1 will be either the iPad gen2 or another form factor (we did have rumors of an in-between 6" iPad just recently). That being said, I can't see Apple releasing another iPad model before next January, mainly because the iPad is selling so well, why create a new product to take away sales of a product that most lay-people think is it for now. I don't think this mention is an Apple TV revamp, mainly (for reasons already stated on this forum) they would give a different nomenclature, not 2,1. So the "Unknown- Add device descriptor info for this device" reference could be a new iTV.

This is getting exciting, however...everyone thought the iPad was going to be announce last year in September and it didn't happen. Apple is smart to release brand-new products in the early year, it gives the market an acceptance period; 11 months of hype before the holidays.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I could see using an app on your iPhone/iPad as a remote to run the iTV. I have an iPhone app for my Sony Blu-ray player that works great with nothing more than up, down, left, right, and tap gestures.

I don't think it would take a lot of hand-eye coordination to use an iPhone/iPad app if you can see some kind of cursor on your TV screen that follows what you're doing on the iPhone/iPad.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

With a Magic Trackpad.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

I could see using an app on your iPhone/iPad as a remote to run the iTV. I have an iPhone app for my Sony Blu-ray player that works great with nothing more than up, down, left, right, and tap gestures.

I don't think it would take a lot of hand-eye coordination to use an iPhone/iPad app if you can see some kind of cursor on your TV screen that follows what you're doing on the iPhone/iPad.

Which device you going to look at while playing a dynamic iOS game, the iPhone or the TV? Same question goes for the people that say the magic trackpad could be used as the controller.

This doesn't make much sense to me.

Thompson
  • Reply 29 of 66
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt109 View Post

A) The new device is a cheap iPod Touch-like device suitable as a remote, a game controller and a Facetime dialer. It will run iOS and all of its functions (apps) will be runnable on existing Touch, iPhone and iPad devices. It will sell for 99 bucks.

I don't see this one. The $99 price point is interesting and a good way for Apple to start showing up in consumer living rooms, but I see two things that make me think not:

1. The universal remote (I'm assuming that's what your inferring) just has too many wanna be's already out there. Yes, and an Apple one would be quite smart, but it would look like so many other universal remotes in blister packs at WalMart that I don't think Apple will go there, even with some serious distinction from other products.

2. This doesn't seem to fit the trend I see with iSomething devices. When I consider the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad, I see devices that combine things or functions. In a sense, they take numerous complex functions and combine them into a single unit with a disctinctive and useable interface. I don't see Apple departing from this trend. And, I'm not sure I see a $99 stand alone product from Apple anytime soon.

Some other posters have hit on one thing of interest and that is the touch interface. The device itself could have a touch interface, but mirroring the interface onto a large display (TV) sparks an interest in me. That could be something to really get some traction. Especially since many consumers are now familiar with touch interfaces.

Again, Apple is a master at user interfaces. I'm still resistant to a single inexpensive device, but the possibility of offering a device with numerous functions laid out in easily accessible application icon, or other scrollable touch interface sounds very interesting.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

not every owner of the Apple TV or rumored iTV owns an iPod touch, iPad or iPhone. trackpad is more likely, or just a better remote. I've read the rumors of a Wii-style remote, but that requires all those sensors and ugly wires that SJ hates!
  • Reply 31 of 66
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

What's the point?

People know that Apple is working on next-generation designs for these product lines. These designations reveal nothing beyond the fact that Apple is working on stuff that hasn't been released. They don't deny the fact that they're working on new things. From a development perspective, it is easier to assign the bland numbering scheme.

Frankly, I think you're looking too deeply into this.

Unlike people scouring Apple's job postings to develop theories about upcoming products.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Which device you going to look at while playing a dynamic iOS game, the iPhone or the TV? Same question goes for the people that say the magic trackpad could be used as the controller.

Thompson

You have a good point about the "dynamic games" but the kind of a setup described would work for pretty much everything else.

A secondary controller would divide one's attention, but no more or less than a mouse, trackpad, or keyboard does when you are sitting at a computer. Again, the only real failure here would be for x-box type games, since a touch-based controller, that also divides your attention would be kid of a double-whammy.

Apple could easily do everything everyone is hoping/assuming they will with the next Apple TV and it will work fine for the majority of uses. The fact that the device (might) have apps, would more likely mean apps for Hulu, or Google, or stuff like that. There is still a value in having that kind of setup even if if would be awkward to play games.

Remember as well, that there's nothing that a Wii remote can do, that iPhone 4 can't also do hardware wise.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

I don't see this one. The $99 price point is interesting and a good way for Apple to start showing up in consumer living rooms, but I see two things that make me think not:

1. The universal remote (I'm assuming that's what your inferring) just has too many wanna be's already out there. Yes, and an Apple one would be quite smart, but it would look like so many other universal remotes in blister packs at WalMart that I don't think Apple will go there, even with some serious distinction from other products.

2. This doesn't seem to fit the trend I see with iSomething devices. When I consider the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad, I see devices that combine things or functions. In a sense, they take numerous complex functions and combine them into a single unit with a disctinctive and useable interface. I don't see Apple departing from this trend. And, I'm not sure I see a $99 stand alone product from Apple anytime soon.

1. He never implied the remote would be universal at all, just that it would be a custom remote that gives you iPhone like control over your Apple TV without having to buy an iPhone.

2. While the iPhone merges two fundamentally different devices (a phone and an iPod), the iPod Touch doesn't. What it does is allow for the convergence of tasks (email, internet, games, apps, music, video, etc.). An iOS powered Apple TV would allow for similar convergence on your tv screen.

The rumored $99 price tag for Apple TV should not be a surprise at all. Steve Jobs has personally said that expensive set top boxes do not sell, so it would have to be cheap. Furthermore, how much would an iPod touch stripped of two of its most expensive components (screen and battery) really cost? Especially if they minimize the available storage space on it.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:

Apple's own remote app already does that. Very intuitive and fluid. No-look remote.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    oskiooskio Posts: 60member
    Unknown device is Apple's answer to Andriod....they are going to release their iOS4.1 for other manufactures......yeah, what am I thinking....that's not going to happen.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Unlike people scouring Apple's job postings to develop theories about upcoming products.

That's right! Apple is going to bring a line of fart apps to market.

• Reply 37 of 66
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Thompson

The television screen of course - how many people look at a wii handset when controlling wii sports etc?
  • Reply 38 of 66
    I'd buy that in a iPod Nanosecond... ;-)
  • Reply 39 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Portable device for stunning Trolls and other Apple haters with an electric shock.

I'd buy that in a iPod Nanosecond... ;-)

-- Sorry for double post
  • Reply 40 of 66
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

my guess would be that the iProd(uct) 2,1 will be either the iPad gen2 or another form factor (we did have rumors of an in-between 6" iPad just recently).

For me that is a direct reference to the next generation iPad. That is due to ship some time next year. It should surprise no one that, that is the case.

[quote]

That being said, I can't see Apple releasing another iPad model before next January, mainly because the iPad is selling so well, why create a new product to take away sales of a product that most lay-people think is it for now.

[\\quote]

First off this isn't a church, we aren't members of a cingregation thus not lay people.

In any event why this silly a$$ reasoning that introducing one product by default must take away sales from another????? This reasoning simply is not rational. It is like a TV manufacture saying it won't produce a 21 inch TV becayse it will take sakes away from its 42 inch model. Different markets and different needs imply products.

Further a 2.1 product implys a revision to a current oroduct. I hope you realize that it is very important for Apple to get past its rev one device as fast as possible. For iPad to realize its potential and compete with coming competition it needs more robust hardware.

As to an entirely new device, that i hope is coming. As it would be in effect a smalker iPad i don't see it impacting the iPad at all. After all the Touch exist and nobody claims it impacts iPad sale. People buy to fit their needs.

Quote:

I don't think this mention is an Apple TV revamp, mainly (for reasons already stated on this forum) they would give a different nomenclature, not 2,1. So the "Unknown- Add device descriptor info for this device" reference could be a new iTV.

This is getting exciting, however...everyone thought the iPad was going to be announce last year in September and it didn't happen.

Yes but these days I try to not let it get to me. Excitement is good but getting hung up on Apple isn't.

Quote:

Apple is smart to release brand-new products in the early year, it gives the market an acceptance period; 11 months of hype before the holidays.

Except when they grossly underestimate demand. IPad and iPhone demand is such that the time of the year for the debut makes little difference. The sad reality is that the Christmas shopping season will be upon us in a couple of months and the indications are that Apple will not be able to cover demand. That is very bad.

In the end the time of debuting a product doesn't mean much. It is all about meeting customer expectations with product on the shelf.

Dave