Apple's online store now allows customers to 'Compare Macs'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I wish they would let you configure your Mac at the Apple Retail Store for later collection instead of leaving it as an Internet Store option only. I hate buying via the internet as I'm out all day and have had real problems with delivery companies in the past. I would rather visit my local AppleStore, specifiy what configuration I wanted from the options available and collect it at a later date. Either that or stock all the configutation options in-store for popular products like the MB, MBP and iMac. It can't be that difficult.

Why can't you configure online, print it out, take it to an Apple retailer, order it and pick it up when it comes in ?. ..... Where there's a will, there's a way.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Apple doesn't really offer enough variety on their computers for many buyers to even care... especially when compared to Windows-based offerings.

What are you talking about? Windows machines generally have 3 configurations ... crap ... crappier ... and the always popular .... crappiest.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

No, there are only base 14 models to choose from.

You can customize these 14 models into the "millions" of configurations.

If there were "millions of configurations your can customise" (as posted by nkhm), there would be +++squillions of possible configurations.

What he said was: I actually believe there are over 100 million available configurations across the range ...

What you read was: "millions of configurations your can customise"

See the difference? I'm sure he'll accept your apology.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

What he said was: I actually believe there are over 100 million available configurations across the range ...

No, that is not what he wrote at all (in his first post I responded to). Please follow the thread.

Quote:

What you read was: "millions of configurations your can customise"

I read (and wrote) that because it is exactly what nkhm wrote. That is why I "quoted" it.

Quote:

See the difference? I'm sure he'll accept your apology.

I'll bet he would but nothing I wrote was in error. And I will gladly accept your apology.

I understand you can end up with millions of customized models. But there are not "millions of configurations your can customise".

There are 14 models you can customize into millions of configurations.

Not a big deal to get worked up over.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:

No, that is not what he wrote at all (in his first post I responded to). Please follow the thread.

I read (and wrote) that because it is exactly what nkhm wrote. That is why I "quoted" it.

I'll bet he would but nothing I wrote was in error. And I will gladly accept your apology.

I understand you can end up with millions of customized models. But there are not "millions of configurations your can customise".

You're right and I apologize .... that's what happens when one reads the last half of a thread .... still, I think his meaning was clear, if his post was not .... like you say .... "Not a big deal to get worked up over". Have a good one ...
  • Reply 26 of 30
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:

I think you are being overly pedantic and critical, especially when you write things yourself like, "I understand you can end up with millions of customized models. ... There are 14 models you can customize into millions of configurations." So, are there millions of models or 14 models? Yours are at least as loose as the OP's constructions.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yours are at least as loose as the OP's constructions.

Okay.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Large cheese grader that starts at 2 bazillion dollars.

Did I miss anything?

It doesn't grate on you to use terms like "cheese grader"? Of course it might help if you knew what a cheese grater actual is. Sort of puts all of your comments in perspective, now doesn't it!
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I do not see this as a big deal. The Macs that the store sells are pretty easy to classify and compare. They do not try and emulate the Dell shopping experience with hundreds of nearly identical models.

Lets take a look at we find at Apple.com.

Plastic note book.

Metal notebook.

Thin Metal Notebook.

Note book w/o a screen or battery.

Notebook with a really big screen but no battery.

Large cheese grader that starts at 2 bazillion dollars.

Did I miss anything?

Ok, so I am being a little sarcastic but it's not like there are dozens of models to compare.

It wasn't even an article, this was a shameless advertisement. Pathetic.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Why can't you configure online, print it out, take it to an Apple retailer, order it and pick it up when it comes in ?. ..... Where there's a will, there's a way.

What he describes is how I wish most site to store options worked, if the store has it that day then I should be allowed to just go pick up their current stock.

If you print out a configuration and go to your local AppleStore they would be more than happy to fill that order for you, just make sure they have it in stock before you make the trip.