Watching HD iTunes content on HDTV without Apple TV?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
What is the best way to do this?

For instance, if I download a few HD episodes of a television show off of iTunes, how can I watch that on my HDTV and take full advantage of the HD quality of the file itself. I have a DVI cord that plugs into my HDTV, but I was wondering if I should opt for an HDMI instead so that the content can output in a high resolution. Or will the content output in a high enough resolution on my TV using a DVI plug?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    You should use a HDMI adapter to get the signal to your television; however, you'll have to buy a HDMI adapter that handles audio an video. Wireless HDMI is also an option.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    For both DVI and HDMI your Mac will see the your HDTV as an external monitor. The Display System Preference will give you the ability to select any resolution that your HDTV and Mac can support.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    While DVI will work for video, audio will require a second set of cables. That's why I suggested HDMI for movie watching, since HDMI will handle both.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    I use fiber to an external sound system for my audio. Maybe I am wrong about the newer HDTVs, but TVs have traditionally been very poor with their audio support and so I do not use the HDMI audio connections.

Besides, wasn't audio out via Magic Port just recently added? So unless you have a newer Mac you will still need a separate audio cable.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Wait, so in terms of the quality of the HD picture, there is no difference between using HDMI and a VGA cable?

Because.... when I plug in my MBP to my HDTV, and switch to the 'PC' source on my TV so I can see the MBP screen on my TV, I notice that it says: 1920x1080. So, that's HD then.

Also, as for audio, I use an optical plug in for my MBP and use the MBP as a receiver basically. The sound goes through speakers, the video I want to watch goes to the second screen AKA the HDTV I'm using.

So, there's nothing I should do differently, then?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The.Tourist View Post

Wait, so in terms of the quality of the HD picture, there is no difference between using HDMI and a VGA cable?

Because.... when I plug in my MBP to my HDTV, and switch to the 'PC' source on my TV so I can see the MBP screen on my TV, I notice that it says: 1920x1080. So, that's HD then.

Also, as for audio, I use an optical plug in for my MBP and use the MBP as a receiver basically. The sound goes through speakers, the video I want to watch goes to the second screen AKA the HDTV I'm using.

So, there's nothing I should do differently, then?

VGA signals are analog. So you risk pixel interference. DVI and HDMI are both digital, and therefore superior. But yes, the output resolution is the same. You're still getting (analog) HD with a VGA cable.