LG exec proclaims upcoming LG tablet "better than the iPad"

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
In an interview, an LG vice president announced that its Optimus-branded LG tablet will best the iPad by allowing content creation.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Chang Ma, vice president of marketing for LG Electronics' mobile-devices unit, acknowledged Apple's iPad as "a great device," but claimed that the South Korean company's first tablet, which is due out by the fourth quarter, will be better than it.

Ma, who says he doesn't do much work on the iPad, believes that high-end productivity features and benefits will make the forthcoming LG device "surprisingly productive." The tablet will focus on allowing users to create documents, programs and videos.

LG also announced plans to launch 10 more smartphones by the end of the year in addition to the Android-based tablet device. LG's place as "the world's third-largest handset maker by unit shipments" is in jeopardy, with market share declining as LG continues to lose ground to the smartphone market. In the second quarter, the company saw a 31% decline in sales, posted its deepest quarterly loss in 8 years, and held a smartphone market share of just 1.2%.

In an aggressive push, LG has significantly increased spending on marketing and research and development of mobile devices. According to Ma, the mobile devices unit won't be profitable until early next year, although he remains hopeful for a strong fourth quarter.

LG Display, an affiliate of LG Electronics, provides displays for the iPad, but has been unable to keep up with demand for the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 195
    Well what else can he say?
  • Reply 2 of 195
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member
    It is interesting how gadgets are better than Apple gadgets when they are announced but never or hardly ever when they actually get released.
  • Reply 3 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ma, who says he doesn't do much work on the iPad, believes that high-end productivity features and benefits will make the forthcoming LG device "surprisingly productive."

*sigh*

When will people get it. Tablets aren't designed for productivity. They are designed for leisurely use. Anybody who is serious about getting work done will pick up a laptop. Not a netbook, or a smartphone, or a tablet--a full featured and powerful laptop.
  • Reply 4 of 195
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Talk is cheap and the information highway is littered with various iKiller road kill. Don't get blinded by the headlights Mr. Ma.
  • Reply 5 of 195
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    What he meant is that they will have a tablet in 3 years that will be better then iPad 1st gen.
  • Reply 6 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

*sigh*

When will people get it. Tablets aren't designed for productivity. They are designed for leisurely use. Anybody who is serious about getting work done will pick up a laptop. Not a netbook, or a smartphone, or a tablet--a full featured and powerful laptop.

What a straw man argument!

Apple made iworks for ipad that is 100% fingerable from the ground up. I got my ipad(16 gig wifi+3g) and I purchased pages a few days ago.

Damn! Freaking awesome.

Apple has set the bar and you are too blinded by your own arrogant assertions to see that.

I won't be surprised if Apple isn't making a fully fingerable version of OSX for an ipad pro model.

So unless LG has the media ecosystem along with the fit and finish of Apple's offerings LG can kiss my........................
  • Reply 7 of 195
    I hope they come through on there bold statement, I mean I enjoy my apple products but it's always nice to have good competition! even though I'm not sure if Mr. Jobs would compete with said product as he likes it his way, which IMO has worked so far for him.
  • Reply 8 of 195
    None of these hardware OEM folks seem to get that without compelling software apps, it's just another web browsing device. That's fine, but it's still the proverbial case of bringing a knife to a gun fight.
  • Reply 9 of 195
    Quote:

*sigh*

When will people get it. Tablets aren't designed for productivity. They are designed for leisurely use. Anybody who is serious about getting work done will pick up a laptop.

Agreed. All the regulars in this forum who say that the iPad is the future of computing haven't noticed that Apple lists a computer among the system requirements for the iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 195
    forisforis Posts: 25member
    Apple has been creating success in plain view since the iPod, yet companies like LG still don't get it. It's the whole ecosystem, stupid.

What Mr LG is touting is a laptop without a keyboard, ie the MS failed vision of the tablet. (Makes mental note, time to buy more Apple stock.)
  • Reply 11 of 195
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    It looks like another executive is suffering from the Steve Balmer Syndrome ...
  • Reply 12 of 195
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

*sigh* When will people get it. Generalizations based on your own myopic view of the world are useless to anyone but yourself.

I'm plenty productive with my iPad. It allows me to work and be productive in ways that a laptop simply does not.

The world is not full of nails. There are screws, staples, bolts and all kinds of other needs out there. Drop the proverbial hammer and try out a screwdriver or some other tools. You might even like it

A tablet may not be "serious" for you, but that's more an issue with you and your needs than with tablets.
  • Reply 13 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In an interview, an LG vice president announced that its Optimus-branded LG tablet will best the iPad by allowing content creation.

Perhaps it will catch on fire like their refrigerators. That would take the heat off of Apple's exploding iPods in Japan!
  • Reply 14 of 195
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

*sigh*

I disagree. It depends what you define as work. My partner's job is to review documents/PDFs and annotate them. For him an iPad is ideal for this purpose however he finds it frustrating that basic file management is significantly more difficult and requires alot of strategic planning to get files from one app to another. I finally understand why people keep saying apple should buy dropbox. Allowing certain applications to access and save to a shared database of documents/files would be a welcome addition to the os and need not introduce the complexity of a full featured finder.
  • Reply 15 of 195
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Famous last words, Chang.
  • Reply 16 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

who say that the iPad is the future of computing haven't noticed that Apple lists a computer among the system requirements for the iPad.

It does today. But it doesn't always have to require a computer. Unlike most of their competitors before them, Apple has an annoying habit if updating their devices with new functionality over time. If Apple follows through on iWork.com, mobileme.com and itunes.com why would a casual user need computer again?

They don't. My father certainly doesn't. He surfs the web, reads and creates email, edits documents... for him the iPad is his computer. My mom has an iMac that he occasionally syncs to just to back it up, but other than that he has no dependency on her iMac. And other than the work she does in Aperture, she wouldn't need a full blown desktop either.

So don't be so smug in your assumptions. Why do all the trolls (rational or not) fail to realize that the iPad is a smashing success and just the tip of the proverbial iceburg? I have no doubt within five years there will be more iOS devices than Windows or Macs. They make far more sense for more people than general purpose computers. It will be interesting if Apple can keep up the pace.

We live in interesting times indeed (esp. for Microsoft, Intel and all the other "traditionalists")
  • Reply 17 of 195
    Does LG produce anything at all that seriously competes with Apple? If yes, I'd love to know (with facts). If no, how do they plan to start now?
  • Reply 18 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

What a straw man argument!

Apple made iworks for ipad that is 100% fingerable from the ground up. I got my ipad(16 gig wifi+3g) and I purchased pages a few days ago.

Damn! Freaking awesome.

Apple has set the bar and you are too blinded by your own arrogant assertions to see that.

I won't be surprised if Apple isn't making a fully fingerable version of OSX for an ipad pro model.

So unless LG has the media ecosystem along with the fit and finish of Apple's offerings LG can kiss my........................

The point I was making is this: If you have to make a presentation in an hour, will you pick up your iPad or your Macbook Pro to do it? The computer is still far more powerful and the keyboard and mouse still beat multitouch.

The majority of people who are serious about getting something done aren't going to do it on an iPad or a tablet.

Also...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I won't be surprised if Apple isn't making a fully fingerable version of OSX

They did. It's called iOS.
  • Reply 19 of 195
    I predict a fairly nice piece of hardware with a half baked release of android that takes a year or two of releases to reach the current usability of the ipad.
  • Reply 20 of 195
    When you think that a company who manufactures lawn mowers, auto transmissions, beer-bottling machines, refrigerators, bug sprays, stoves, escalators, fire hoses, monitors, computers, display screens, TVs, vacuum cleaners, coffee mugs, shopping carts, dog leashes, printing presses, 8mm handguns, Daisy BB rifles, straw brooms, and kitchen gadgets, then you have to wonder just how Mr. LG figures his iPad killer will stack up as a device that everyone will want to buy. Who knows what kind of quality will go into it. Apple designs and manufactures a few great products of great quality, not a lot of unrelated products of dubious quality. And yes, I do know that Apple buys parts from LG but these at least have to meet Apple's specs for quality.