Millennial: Apple's iPhone displays 55% of smartphone ads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

And if there's only an ad-supported version of the app?

Problem still solved? No?

Knee-jerk much?

Don't buy the app. You can live without it!
  • Reply 22 of 42
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Millennial Media, the largest independent mobile adverting network, has released figures for July showing Apple leads mobile devices in general with its iOS platform and smartphones in particular with iPhone.

No surprise. Apple customers generally spend lots of money on things that they just kinda want. Steve has created a monster demographic for just about anyone who wants that sort of customer (and everyone wants that sort of customer), and now he scoops up the advertising revenue for the big spenders he has aggregated.

I love Steve. I plan to buy stuff from every company that buys iAds.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I can block Google's ads. Is there an ad blocker for in-app ads on the iPhone?

iAds are the finest quality - both the ads and the products. They enhance the User Experience. No way will Steve allow malcontents to block them. Every iPhone user needs to get the same good User Experience as every other iPhone user, and ad blocking would ruin it all.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Who ever told you that everything in life was free?

It is crazy how everyone thinks everything should be 100% free. Keep up the good work, JR.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

iAds are the finest quality - both the ads and the products. They enhance the User Experience. No way will Steve allow malcontents to block them. Every iPhone user needs to get the same good User Experience as every other iPhone user, and ad blocking would ruin it all.

You're really going to keep doing this, huh? Oh well, whatever floats your (borderline mentally ill) boat.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Lets try to see this info through a different light:

Almost every android application is ad-supported. That's because its a pain to sell applications on the Android MarketPlace (or whatever Android's store is called).

Check this link out: http://royal.pingdom.com/2010/08/16/...-losing-money/

A quote from the article above:

Quote:

You can only pay for apps in 13 out of the 46 or so countries where Android phones are available. For those of you who like stats, 13 in 46 works out to less than 30%. Contrast this with Apple?s App Store, which supports paid apps in 90 countries. This is a huge advantage iPhone developers currently have over Android developers.

That means most of what you can get out of Android is free and ad supported.

On the other hand, we have the app store. Which MOST content is paid, and just a few ad-supported. (I don't have numbers to back me up on this, its my own anecdotal experience)

And still, iOS has 55% of the ads. What does this tell you?
  • Reply 27 of 42
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I suppose the folks who dislike ads on their phone so much don't ever listen to commercial radio, or television, or have a phone book in their house or drive bas billboard (and other outdoor advertising such as on the side of a bus). What would television look like and how many channels would thre be if EVERY program was pay-per-view?

I try my best to either avoid all of those, or strip the ads out before I use them. We're subjected to a barrage of advertising everywhere we go, and it's already far too much. The last thing we need are ads on our phones, it's unacceptable.

edit: I just discovered there is an iAd blocker. Looks like I'll just jailbreak, and move along.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

I love Steve. I plan to buy stuff from every company that buys iAds.

Wow!!!!

I'm in tears over here....
  • Reply 29 of 42
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I don't mind the ads. After all, clicking on them is optional, right?
  • Reply 30 of 42
    rybryb Posts: 56member
    Quote:

I'm so happy that you've got it all figured out. All the fools on these boards can look to you when they're not sure how they should think or live.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:

edit: I just discovered there is an iAd blocker. Looks like I'll just jailbreak, and move along.

That's the selfish, mediocre approach that hinders the development of an app store of any kind.

If you are so bothered by ads, instead, get paid applications that don't have ads.

Those that are free, and have ads, are supported by ads. By circumventing their ability to make money with ads you are pushing the market to only provide paid apps, is that what you really want?
  • Reply 32 of 42
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Not sure why people look at this as good news. Guess what people don't like ads.

Extreme, answer me this honestly, how much "stuff" have you bought in the last 5 years, where your buying decision was not influenced, directly or indirectly, by ads you came across in some form of media or another?

IMHO, ads are kind of like a lawyer, in that, we all hate them .... until we need them .... and then they're our "best friend".
  • Reply 33 of 42
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Isn't that font used in the title of the pie chart graphic that annoying default Winblows OS font?
  • Reply 34 of 42
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jz1492 View Post

... How far are we from having the Best iAds of the Year event? People in love with ads?

Happens on TV.

Every year. They're the CLIO awards: http://www.clioawards.com/

Some day the Webby awards might be as big...
  • Reply 35 of 42
    I like it that way, it would stink to have a paid subscription to view anything worthwhile. Ads keep developers happy and apps low cost.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nsbm View Post

As a developer I find statements like this frustrating. Unless you are willing to pay for all your apps, how else do you expect developers to make a living? They have to monetize their apps either by selling them or by using display ads.

Look like IPhone user is more rich (demographically in tune with what ever you try to sell?) and worth to be targetted by Marketing?
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emsilva View Post

That's the selfish, mediocre approach that hinders the development of an app store of any kind.

If you are so bothered by ads, instead, get paid applications that don't have ads.

Those that are free, and have ads, are supported by ads. By circumventing their ability to make money with ads you are pushing the market to only provide paid apps, is that what you really want?

No to both. We already see too many ads, and we already pay too much for what we get with mobile computing. Developers should find ways to get their money from the billions that Apple and the telecos are making instead of being just another gouge on the consumer.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

No to both. We already see too many ads, and we already pay too much for what we get with mobile computing. Developers should find ways to get their money from the billions that Apple and the telecos are making instead of being just another gouge on the consumer.

What's it like to be living in "fantasy land" ? ....... Somebody else who wants everything for nothing .... not very realistic by a long shot ...
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

What's it like to be living in "fantasy land" ? ....... Somebody else who wants everything for nothing .... not very realistic by a long shot ...

Who wants something for nothing? I'm already paying a lot.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

I never purport to speak for "people" or the "end user", regardless of what the perceived popular view of anything is. I always assess a thing on its merits, not on people's popular perception of it.

Accordingly, when I see an unobtrusive advert header at the bottom or top of a desktop or mobile screen, my first inclination is not to get rid of it - I read it first, then decide what to do, whether to read further or dispose of it.

This way I've actually found stuff I've been looking for and have had little luck with using search engines (Newsflash: advertisers use trending to serve you ads that might interest you, based on your prior preferences, location etc).

I personally think that the "two legs bad, four legs good" knee-jerk attitude against advertising is infantile and self-defeating. It's a clever way to offset 3rd party development costs, and keep everyone happy.

As (mobile) hardware becomes more and more of a commodity, its price will continue to plummet (we've seen this happen in the PC/Desktop market already), and ads will increasingly become the way to add value to units. In anticipation of this future scenario, Apple has accepted this reality and taken steps to invest in it on behalf of its shareholders, its developers AND its end-users. The acquisition of Quattro and its conversion to iAds is not a mere "hobbyist" venture.

we all love it so much. we are tired of technology that doesn't behave like tv and give us ads every 10 seconds. i am not alone in imagining the day that we can be hard at work on a document and be forced to stop working and watch an advert. oh the joy!