Acer exec says Apple's 'closed' iPad will drop to 20% market share

Comments

• Reply 141 of 235
    "first to market" usually prevails, especially when surrounded with such unprecedented hype. I think he may be talking to his own shareholders. It sounds more like a 'rallying cry'. The rest of the industry has been playing a game of "catch up" and not playing it very well.
  • Reply 142 of 235
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    The "malicious" intent behind enabling voice guidance on European Android phones before the dictators at Google allowed it.

Google tripped the kill switch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

what the hell are you talking about???

• Reply 143 of 235
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Well, perhaps we will relive the classic Mac vs. PC fight of 20 years ago. We all know what happened then. Will history repeat itself? Different this time?

No. Yes.
  • Reply 144 of 235
    [QUOTE=hill60;1700708]/ahem, who disabled voice guidance from Google maps on European Android phones when it was enabled prematurely by hackers?

Currently Motorola is issuing cease and desist orders over the leaked release of the Froyo update for the Droids.

Meanwhile Google gathers information about Android users and makes money selling it to advertisers.

It's time some of you Droidtards took off the rose coloured glasses and stopped drinking the Google Kool Aid.

uh oh. they found out i was looking into buying a new car stereo eh? those b@st@rds!

this 'droidtard' has used the built in access point on froyo to save his a$$ 3 times now...no additional fees either.
  • Reply 145 of 235
    Wow, I can't wait for my free and open Acer tablet when next I 'open' my box of breakfast cereal! Perhaps they could call the product 'WindowPops' and make it out of edible components!
  • Reply 146 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

They are the second-largest computer company in the world. Their unit shipments dwarf those of Apple.

But all we care about is Apple, so it is easy to miss what is going on in the world around us.

The question wasn't "Who is Acer on the world stage?" It was in the vein of, "Who is Acer in the tablet race?" The answer: nobody.
  • Reply 147 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

WebOS is just a cheap ripoff of Apple. And they don't have as much software either. It is always better to go with Apple.

Haven't seen the webOS and sure don't have any interest in actually buying one. I'm just interested in seeing what HP comes up with. They've got their "fans."
  • Reply 148 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

HP. the king of making millions of different designs and names (most are awful) and of adding bloatware to everything....

I've never operated an HP PC in my life but that doesn't surprise me. HP has become the Samsung of the PC industry.
  • Reply 149 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Low quality hardware? What world are you living in? The Evo, Incredible, Droid X and Droid 2 can match the iPhone and in many cases beat it hardware wise. My Evo running 2.2 is far faster then the iPhone and that can not be debated.

Your Evo running 2.2 is "far faster?" What does that mean? 2x...? 3x...? 10x...?

Which iPhone?

What does "faster" even mean? For browsing? Gaming? Snappier?

I've used a friend's Evo. I thought it was pretty cool. It didn't seem any faster or more responsive than my 3GS. There was nothing about it, save tethering, that seemed very different. Camera has more pixels than my 3GS, but the pictures didn't seem significantly better quality. It is a sharp phone, though. The Evo is the first Android phone that I thought was decent.

But your claims sound like Fandroid talk.
  • Reply 150 of 235
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roontoon View Post

Just walk int ANY apple store and you will notice that it is FULL of people. That is what they want PERIOD.

I think the free wi-fi, and free internet access has more to do with the number of people in the stores. Go look at the Apple section of a reseller, they are empty the majority of the time.
  • Reply 151 of 235
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

I'm very interested in what HP comes up with the webOS. I've always liked Palm's stuff. HP is actually a pretty strong PC brand. I'll always choose their printer over anyone else's although I'm sure an Epson or Canon or Lexmark or whatever will do a competent job.

but it takes a lot more than a printer to offer consumers an "ecosystem." if HP is serious, they will have a lot of work to do. an HP on-line media store (they can buy ... somone), HP "cloud" services (they can buy Yahoo), other integrated Web OS hardware (they can buy Vudu), and retail stores for customer service (they can buy ... Blockbuster?). and then they can make it all "just work" together.

even with all their money, it is not as easy at it sounds.
  • Reply 152 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I think the free wi-fi, and free internet access has more to do with the number of people in the stores. Go look at the Apple section of a reseller, they are empty the majority of the time.

I guess there is really a reason that Microsoft is copying the business model. You of course are welcome to your delusion. Pitiful reasoning considering the profits Apple is making. Pure delusion.

d
  • Reply 153 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

In the same category (things about Android people don't realise), there are two facts that don't seem to occur to anyone.

1) Android *needs* a fragmented platform to survive at all because the manufacturers need to differentiate their hardware to compete. "

This is Apple vs PC all over again. A Dell will soon emerge, and the only thing the Android manufacturers will be able to compete on is price.

Quote:

2) Android is a cheaper copy of iOS, so a lot of Android sales, are "me too" sales and don't necessarily reflect the consumer choosing anything but a lower priced product.

If anyone needs the history lesson, the combo that won the desktop was 1 ) cheap commodity hardware, 2) Windows 3.1, and 3) DOOM.

Dishonorable mention goes to Windows 95 and IE...

As others have pointed out, many Android sales have been on the high-end. But it's going to be interesting when "cheap and good enough" devices start filling the shelves in Best Buy and Wal-Mart.
  • Reply 154 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Low quality hardware? What world are you living in? The Evo, Incredible, Droid X and Droid 2 can match the iPhone and in many cases beat it hardware wise. My Evo running 2.2 is far faster then the iPhone and that can not be debated.

First. According to reviews droid 2 is not on the same league as evo, droid x or incredible.

Second. Your evo is subsidized and in reality costs around $700. So a tablet at $250 would be cheap and endup as low quality.

Finally. The iPad owns 100% of the market share so apple fanboys can brag all they want. Anyone who disagrees has to wait till an android or win7 competitor hits the market before putting their 2 cents.
  • Reply 155 of 235
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    1. I'd love to have a Linux based tablet computer for the same reasons that I have both Msc and Linix machines at home. That would be to leverage the strengths of each platform.

2. Android is NOT an open system from the user standpoint. Never has been and never will be.

It

3. There is nothing to indicate that Android is a viable tablet OS. Proof is in the pudding and frankly Android will have significant competition. To truely be competitive against Apple one needs to have infrastructure and vision. There is potential for a big plauer to find the right leader to realize a competitive environment but right now there isn't a serious player.

4. As far as a serious play goes, right now I think WebOS has more potential. Not because of technical superiorty but do to and organization with a vision.

5. All these guys claiming that they will beat up on iPad need to realize that Apple will have rev two out before they even debut. In otherwords they have no idea what they will be competeing with.

6. Speaking of competeing I have this feeling that no one in the industry understands the importance of FaceTime. This in and of itself will sell lots of iOS devices. Which highlights another important consideration, it isn't simply a matter of having software but having the right software. Apple balances that really well offering key pieces of supported functionality. This is extremely important for many consummers.

7. Even now you can't look at iPad as a single device. That will be even less of a case if a 5-7 inch device arrives.

8. On top of the 5-7 inch device Apple could be playing with other devices in the market. The rumored iOS based iTV for one. But i could also see a iTV tablet, that is a tablet optimized for HDTV woth an over the air reciever. In otherwirds Apples first TV might be a very portable device instead of a wall hanging panel. Wall hanging panels are a possibility too, just that entry into the small screen areba would be a snap for Apple.

9. Some have also indicated that Apple could deliver a gaming platform. It is possible but i think they would simply tweak the smaller machines to better support gaming.

Those are a bunch of points but I think the important thing here is that it really isn't the hardware they have to compete with. The most obvious thing being that the current hardware won't be around when the are actually in the market. Even at that Apple is offering up much more than hardware.

Dave
  • Reply 156 of 235
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

Enterprises who want to develop apps for their own use are supported by Apple:

http://developer.apple.com/programs/iphone/enterprise/

Did you even bother googling before making your pronouncement?

Clearly, they don't work in the Enterprise landscape. Practically all development is closed source and proprietary for IP leverage.

It doesn't matter if they leverage Java, C/C++/ObjC/ObjC++/C#/Python/Ruby/PHP, etc. Their money is in developing in-house only call-center suites, test harnesses, massively redundant database deployments, etc.

They love the $250 Enterprise iPhone development license for in-house only apps that they can leverage for their personnel.
  • Reply 157 of 235
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Who cares. For all that volume, they make, sadly, an annual profit of of ~US$350 million across the whole company.

I'll venture a guess that the iPad alone makes a much larger profit than that (If we assume, say, 5 million iPads will be sold this year, at an average price of $600, with a profit margin of 20% - Apple's average - that's $600 million in net income).

The SendMe answered the original poster's question of "who is Acer", succinctly, and to the point. Did he include all possible relevant information about Acer? No, but why change the topic of the answer.
  • Reply 158 of 235
    Why all the fuss? Have you ever heard Apple wishing about being number one in market share?

They talk about love, humanity and ofcourse money sitting in banks. Android win is inevitable but that is not because it's better. It's in philosophy.

There's this comprehensive article on this matter here
  • Reply 159 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

but it takes a lot more than a printer to offer consumers an "ecosystem." if HP is serious, they will have a lot of work to do. an HP on-line media store (they can buy ... somone), HP "cloud" services (they can buy Yahoo), other integrated Web OS hardware (they can buy Vudu), and retail stores for customer service (they can buy ... Blockbuster?). and then they can make it all "just work" together.

even with all their money, it is not as easy at it sounds.

I totally understand that. I have no intention of buying an HP webOS-based phone or tablet. I'm just interested in what HP can come up with and how they plan to fight the iOS/Android onslaught. It doesn't seem they're interested in the Android at all at this point in time. They're betting on the webOS and Windows Phone 7 and I find that strategy interesting from a business standpoint.
  • Reply 160 of 235
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I was playing around with a HTC Legend the other day, I opened the calculator App and when you turn the phone on it's side it changes to scientific...

...remarkable.

And that's a bad? Because it's utilizing the extra space that it gets in landscape mode? Oh. And BTW, my iPod Touch running iOS 4 does exactly the same.

On my Vibrant, when I switch to landscape mode, it uses the extra width to display more text, which is perfect since that's the reason why I turned it sideways in the first place. On the iPhone, it increases the font size. ...Remarkable.