Third-party iPad clamshell keyboard case revealed in FCC filing

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new third-party iPad peripheral coming soon to the U.S. will turn Apple's touchscreen tablet into more of a traditional laptop form factor, with a clamshell case that provides tactile input via an attached Bluetooth keyboard.

Because keyboards accessories must connect to the iPad wirelessly, the Bluetooth device required approval from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission, which is how the forthcoming accessory was exposed. Created by Shenzhen Paoluy Silicone Technology Co., Ltd., the product dubbed "BL-BKB76" passed through the FCC last Friday and will likely be available for sale in the U.S. soon.

The clamshell design allows the iPad to be used in a laptop-style configuration, with the screen propped up and a flat keyboard to type on. Such a product would also allow the screen to be protected when stored.

The product is also set for debut in the U.K., where it is dubbed "KeyCase iPad Folio with Integrated Bluetooth Keyboard" and carries a price of £59.95, or $92.72 U.S.

The product's manual says keyboard has a reported standby time of 100 days, and offers a "theoretical" uninterrupted working time of 90 hours, though the U.K. retailer pegs the usage time as 45 hours. The battery, which must be charged separately from the iPad, takes between 4 and 4-and-a-half hours to charge, and can be charged with a standard Apple USB iPod connector cable.

Other advertised features include a "durable leather style exterior," a magnetic fastener that keeps the case closed, and auto-sleep mode when idle for 10 minutes.

A clamshell Bluetooth keyboard concept was shown off soon after the iPad was released and gained considerable attention, but that product was simply a hypothetical rendering and never became a reality.

Though it does not ship with a keyboard, opting instead to let users rely on the virtual touchscreen, the iPad is compatible with nearly any Bluetooth keyboard, including Apple's own hardware. Apple also sells a keyboard dock made specifically for the iPad.

Even with its lack of standard keyboard, the iPad has been viewed as a threat to the low-cost, low-power netbook market. Major netbook makers have reduced shipments for the remainder of 2010, after sales of those products have slowed since the release of the iPad. Meanwhile, Apple's touchscreen tablet sold 3.27 million units in its first three months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Yea... Now my iPad can be a real netbook! (sans the USB ports, media card reader, web camera, full-fledged applications, et al... that is)
  • Reply 2 of 84
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Pretty cool idea. Is a bit bulky, but hey if you really want to knock out those iWork documents on your iPad this could be the case for you. It has basically been common knowledge that the iPad is more for content consumption then creation though, and I don't really think that this would change it. If you want a laptop get a laptop I guess is what I am trying to say.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Yea... Now my iPad can be a real netbook! (sans the USB ports, media card reader, web camera, full-fledged applications, et al... that is)

Why can't apple just make a product and let people choose whether they want to buy it or not? Why does it drive so many people crazy that their products don't offer every single feature on earth? If you want a netbook, buy a netbook. Then you can be content with your USB, camera, etc. If you want what the iPad has to offer, then buy the iPad.

DaHarder - I'm sure you're perfectly able to draw a reasonable conclusion such as this, but instead chose to be an ignorant troll. Shame on you.
  • Reply 4 of 84
    Looks like they sorta missed the boat on this one... if they had only let the iPad slide forward to cover the keyboard when touch-only was needed, they would have a nearly perfect solution for hands-free use. Expect their competitor to offer this option in 3...2...1...
  • Reply 5 of 84
    Well this turms the IPAD into a netbook. But wait, If I wanted a netbook or Laptop thats what I would have bought to begin with.

Its a nice accessory for those that want a physical keyboard and don't mind the additional weight.
  • Reply 6 of 84
    Fugly.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

... It has basically been common knowledge that the iPad is more for content consumption then creation though ...

This is both a false dichotomy and an inaccurate characterization.
  • Reply 8 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

DaHarder - I'm sure you're perfectly able to draw a reasonable conclusion such as this, but instead chose to be an ignorant troll. Shame on you.

Don't be too hard on him, it's just who he is.
  • Reply 9 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkAdrian View Post

Fugly.

I agree. They could have given it a slightly more Apple-ish look!? (E.g., aluminum, chiclet keys....)
  • Reply 10 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This is both a false dichotomy and an inaccurate characterization.

Actually, it's not a false dichotomy, nor a dichotomy at all. The perception is that the iPad is "more for" consumption than creation. It is not that the iPad is "exclusively for" consumption. A dichotomy requires mutual exclusivity.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Why did you buy iPad if you wanted a real netbook?
  • Reply 12 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agree. They could have given it a slightly more Apple-ish look!? (E.g., aluminum, chiclet keys....)

Acutally I think he keyboard shown doesn't come with the case. You have to pick a BT keyboard you want to use. Which kind of seems like a pain.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Why did you iPad if you wanted a real netbook?

I think the point he was trying to make was everyone here likes to bash netbooks calling them cheap crap and this pretty much makes the iPad look like nothing more then a netbook. I mean hell look at the footprint on that thing.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Actually, it's not a false dichotomy, nor a dichotomy at all. The perception is that the iPad is "more for" consumption than creation. It is not that the iPad is "exclusively for" consumption. A dichotomy requires mutual exclusivity.

Yes, it does, in part, and your statement a) promotes the idea that one is either consuming or creating, that an activity is one or the other, and b) ignores the fact that there is plenty of creative activity going on on iPads. Using consumption vs. creation as a classification system, and looking at actual user activity, one can claim that a PC (including Macs) is more for consumption than creation, making it rather pointless as some sort of distinguishing feature.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Pretty cool idea. Is a bit bulky, but hey if you really want to knock out those iWork documents on your iPad this could be the case for you. It has basically been common knowledge that the iPad is more for content consumption then creation though, and I don't really think that this would change it. If you want a laptop get a laptop I guess is what I am trying to say.

Personally, when at a place where I can sit down and knock out a few emails or edit a few html documents I often find myself wishing for an external keyboard for my iPad. I like this idea.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Why did you iPad if you wanted a real netbook?

Um, it's sarcasm?
  • Reply 17 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, it does, in part, and your statement a) promotes the idea that one is either consuming or creating, that an activity is one or the other, and b) ignores the fact that there is plenty of creative activity going on on iPads. Using consumption vs. creation as a classification system, and looking at actual user activity, one can claim that a PC (including Macs) is more for consumption than creation, making it rather pointless as some sort of distinguishing feature.

KaBlamo

Somebody passed to Logic 110
  • Reply 18 of 84
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The clamshell design allows the iPad to be used in a laptop-style configuration, with the screen propped up and a flat keyboard to type on.

So now those netbook fanatics have no excuse whatsoever. This is the last coffin nail in the netbook category.

Buh Bye, Acer!
  • Reply 19 of 84
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:

If you want a laptop get a laptop I guess is what I am trying to say.

But the iPad does most everything better than a laptop.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    its not as elegant as one thinks

remember palm pilot, they had a fold up tiny BT keyboard for data entry

thats all one needs to be light and compact

something a student can use without the bulk