Corporate IT departments relax rules to allow Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

"50 attorneys equipped with iPads, and plans to issue them as an alternative to laptops next year"

Really begs the question....did they ever really need a computer? Attorneys have to do a lot of documentation. I can see an iPad as another device but not a alternative.

Having a little background on this topic.... pssst... don't look at the desk of the LAWYER but take a gander at the work being done by the paralegals and administrative assistants. A lawyer that needed a computer? Yea not impossible but chances are they go very much underutilized.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    Quote:

People are so cocksure of the iPad and its future. It will be a sucsess however the iPad will have less time before its "Android" starts out selling it.

Android?!?! What are you talking about... last I heard Google was backing CHROME for tablet devices... Then again the way some companies change lanes at the drop of a dime its really anyones guess what Google has planned for tablet devices it could very well be back on the Android track... or Chrome or heck maybe something entirely new!. Wouldn't THAT be exciting.

It must be extremely exhilarating trying to support all those Google subsidized devices with WHO knows WHAT hardware... The fact is, you're never really sure WHAT they'll be doing next!

Nothing like a big ole heap of never ending uncertainty to keep those neurons firing. iOS developers aren't having nearly as much fun... Even with the sometimes random behavior the App Store operates by it pales when you compare it to having the entire OS pulled out from under you or 30 some-odd devices made by 15 or so companies all with completely different and sometimes random hardware.

Oh and I hear you guys got FLASH!!! Congratz are certainly in order! I'm certain Android bloggers will start writing favorable things about it... Eventually...
  • Reply 43 of 77
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

People are so cocksure of the iPad and its future. It will be a sucsess however the iPad will have less time before its "Android" starts out selling it.

One of the biggest reasons (not the only) the iPad is successful is that we are finally at a point where you can have a powerful enough device, that can be the size of the iPad, and last for 10 hours because technology is finally able to support it. Using Star Trek as a perfect example, these type of devices were invisioned log ago by many, not just Apple. Microsoft tried to push the technology for years, but every piece of their technology then was not ready.....battery life, small powerful cpu's that used very little power, wifi and wireless were either very slow or not around...all the early Microsoft tablets were hampered by technology.

The point is if Apple can make these devices now because the technology is finally ready, so can many others. Sure others will fail, but the Droid X or EVO are very good examples of how these others will make the iPad, just one of many, many capable tablet devices in the near future. Once a technology is mature, the price point begins to dominate the marketshare and success. Think DVD players. I remember when Sony was the player to get, at some point you did not care what label was on the DVD player and the lowest priced player that met your needs got your money.

iOS has much better security, better compatibility with Active Sync and better corporate management capabilities. Droids are nice phones but if you have a medium to high security environment don't expect to use it in your organization
  • Reply 44 of 77
    Quote:

"50 attorneys equipped with iPads, and plans to issue them as an alternative to laptops next year"

Really begs the question....did they ever really need a computer? Attorneys have to do a lot of documentation. I can see an iPad as another device but not a alternative.

Several developers are converting Ohio case law onto iPads and the Ohio Judiciary is looking at deploying iPads across the courts for judges to use. Combined with eBook features like bookmarking, highlighting, word search and fast access to docs, the judges I've talked to in the pilot are beside themselves - this is going to aid them significantly. Several have already been testing the WritePad app for their note-taking as well. Most of the judiciary do not have laptops at the bench becasue it takes too long to access data on them, according to my sources. The speed of access on the iPad makes it practical and a much better solution than a laptop ever was.

So just because they don't tote a laptop doesn't mean they don't need a device or platform - it just means that the extant ones weren't practical or simply didn't work well enough to justify having them.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report noted that more than 500 of the more than 11,000 applications currently available for the iPad

There are far more than 11,000 apps available for the iPad.

The report noted that "More than 500 of the 11,000-plus applications built specifically for the iPad ".
  • Reply 46 of 77
    Quote:

One of the biggest reasons (not the only) the iPad is successful is that we are finally at a point where you can have a powerful enough device, that can be the size of the iPad, and last for 10 hours because technology is finally able to support it. Using Star Trek as a perfect example, these type of devices were invisioned log ago by many, not just Apple. Microsoft tried to push the technology for years, but every piece of their technology then was not ready.....battery life, small powerful cpu's that used very little power, wifi and wireless were either very slow or not around...all the early Microsoft tablets were hampered by technology.

The point is if Apple can make these devices now because the technology is finally ready, so can many others. Sure others will fail, but the Droid X or EVO are very good examples of how these others will make the iPad, just one of many, many capable tablet devices in the near future. Once a technology is mature, the price point begins to dominate the marketshare and success. Think DVD players. I remember when Sony was the player to get, at some point you did not care what label was on the DVD player and the lowest priced player that met your needs got your money.

bettieblue, you are missing the critical lesson learned by Microsoft - if you provide the infrastructure necessary you can drive a large amount of uptake and market dominance - look at Redmond's use in enterprise computing - it's all about the infrastructure they provide. And Apple has learned that lesson as well - see the iPod. It's a necessary combination of device and supporting infrastructure - this is what is driving Apple's success and while other devices will come out, you are looking at the same race to the bottom pricing-wise that Apple has ignored successfully in the desktop/laptop markets.

Unless HP can be successful leveraging WebOS as a tablet driver AND provide the rest of the supporting infrastructure to compete with iOS, it will gain a bit of market and then flatten out. Same thing with Win7. Google is already going schizophrenic between Android and ChromeOS, because they don't care which is used so long as they own the delivery system for ad/search revenue. Google is only going to drive this as long as nothing better comes along to drive their business model. Once that happens both Android and ChromeOS will be either retired from active support, or spun off. So just having a device in the market segment isn't going to address the immediate expectation created for consumers that "everything just works" and the company is pro-actively supporting the platform. Apple is a "platform" company, not just a device company. I'm surprised that you don't get that.
  • Reply 47 of 77
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

There are far more than 11,000 apps available for the iPad.

The report noted that "More than 500 of the 11,000-plus applications built specifically for the iPad ".

Last count I read several weeks ago was there are over 20,000 iPad Specific Apps In The App Store. Plus there are a ton of Universal Apps up there too now that have iPad specific layouts and features.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    Add one more Fortune 500 company that just jumped on board with iPad, and Macs at the same time.

Just this morning we received formal approval for Macs to begin building a standard. We also got formally requested to buy iPads to build standards and work to see how they will be used, especially because over half our ~30,000 employees are out in the field.

Until now we've been typical where Macs have been spotted only in areas like graphics or communications. Now we are going to formalize it, especially with things like flex work and possibly bring your own computer programs around the corner.

Still standardization of software and security issues to work through but they are not road blocks at this point.

Yup, iPads are a huge fad. I may have jumped on board like a fanboy but I knew those that spoke out so negatively were the ones that looked stupid.

Granted there is more work to do - these products may not be for everyone. I'm sure we'll give Microsoft and (gulp) Android a shot but they are now very late to the mobility game. Too late if I have my way
  • Reply 49 of 77
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

It needs a full OSX.

No flash. Internet is crippled.

No OLED, front-face camera, HDMI, SD Card slot, multitasking.

You can't put it in your pocket.

You can't make calls on it.

It just a big iPod touch.

iPad is a failure, barely sell a million.

It will be the next Newton.

Apple is doomed?

..etc etc.

First off the Newton was a bit of a succcess! It was killed in part to save the company!

Second just because some of us really want an SD slot in the device and more RAM does not mean we think Apple or the iPad is doomed. On the contrary it means we see a lot of potential in the device and see these additions as magnifying the utility of the device.

IPad is like being a bass boat owner and seeing the perfect car with zero towing capability. You might even buy that car but you end up forced to find other ways to get your boat to water.

Dave
  • Reply 50 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

First off the Newton was a bit of a succcess! It was killed in part to save the company!

QFT!

Little story... A friend who was an adamant Apple hater (mocked me whenever he could)... Anyway, this was in the Palm golden years (iirc) and yet he was not impressed with the Palm devices so he totally floored me when he called to let me know he was sporting a ... not sure what model (emate maybe?) anyway, he LOVED it and this was just after Steve took the axe to the whole project.. I told him he might wanna return it since it was a dead end product but he wouldn't think of it and used it for many years until he couldn't get certain apps that we found himself wanting... To this day he sings that devices praises... Which I find most humorous given all the crap he gave me over the years.

So yea, the Newton got saddled with a really bad rap (tho initially deserved) due to the handwriting recognition not being fully baked when it was first released... Over time the HW was fixed but Apple couldn't live down the initial bad press. and it remained a running joke for quite some time.

Just goes to show you only have one chance to make a good 1st impression.
  • Reply 51 of 77
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdlink View Post

There's a brief reference in today's WSJ:

http://bit.ly/9Fbs2q

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed. Especially since it's from WSJ, I can send this to our project leader as ammunition why we need to move in this direction with our own software.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously it drives me nuts as one is often better off with a clean install. At least as a user involved in automation engineering i often find "corporate builds" to be very broken.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gnomehole View Post

Add one more Fortune 500 company that just jumped on board with iPad, and Macs at the same time.

Nice to hear.

Quote:

Just this morning we received formal approval for Macs to begin building a standard. We also got formally requested to buy iPads to build standards and work to see how they will be used, especially because over half our ~30,000 employees are out in the field.

That is even better to hear. I do hope the iPad is a success. However are we fooling ourselves with this standard build business. In other words are all your employees cut with the same cookie cutter?

Quote:

Until now we've been typical where Macs have been spotted only in areas like graphics or communications. Now we are going to formalize it, especially with things like flex work and possibly bring your own computer programs around the corner.

Still standardization of software and security issues to work through but they are not road blocks at this point.

This idea of standardized software drives me nuts because i end up with a computer filled with software i never use. Worst yet is when an IT guy comes around wondering about all the software I do use and have installed. Often a piece of software is needed for a single controller in the plant which might be used only every other year. Of course i need it installed is the usual response.

Quote:

Yup, iPads are a huge fad. I may have jumped on board like a fanboy but I knew those that spoke out so negatively were the ones that looked stupid.

Or simply haven't spent five minutes with the iPad. That is all it took for me to have my imagination run wild.

However you have to be pretty closed minded not to realize that the device has some significant short comings. RAM is a big issue that i expect to be resolved real soon now. Like it or not when iOS 4 comes to iPad the current machine is going to be a little tight on memory. The engineer in me would really love an iPad with a built in USB port too.

Why USB? Well pretty simple really, if supplied with the right drivers to support USB to RS232 it would open up the device to a whole world of uses for people involved in plant engineering. Given of course that the right siftware is written. So why iPad here, well for the same reason everybody else wants it those fast startup times and extreme portability. The long battery life is important too.

This would contrast nicely with the fat corpirate laptop of today which takes forever to boot up, can't be hand held well and is loaded with a bunch of corporate crapware.

Corporate crapware = virus checkers, malware blockers, remote management software and other crap making for a slow and unstable platform. It is unfortunate but even with its puny 32 bit processor iPad is a quick way to get work done compared to a corporate laptop.

[quote]

Granted there is more work to do - these products may not be for everyone.

[/qoute]

Exactly! But the could be far more appealing to a wider audience with a few tweaks. By the way folks that is not to say the audience isn't pretty wide now, it is just that not everybody is satisfied with iPads current capability.

Quote:

I'm sure we'll give Microsoft and (gulp) Android a shot but they are now very late to the mobility game. Too late if I have my way

From what i can see niether of these are or will be players. Windows isn't ment to run on touch screens fir one. Android seems to be Googles own personal advertising platform and has a long way to go to properly support a tablet. I'm still thinking WebOS has a bigger chance than Android. It is highly likely though that another Linux platform will emerge to compete with iPad and maybe be successful.

Dave
  • Reply 53 of 77
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Any idea what OS they use on their computers ...?

If it's not Windows it can't be on the network. Period.
  • Reply 54 of 77
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmmk View Post

"relatively inexpensive" ? I can go get a mini laptop that actually does Flash, has a keyboard, a USB port and a webcam for half. And it's already supported by IT departments.

It's not compact, it's not quick to type on, it's overpriced for what it is.

Then why would you get a mini laptop that is not compact, not quick to type on and is overpriced?
  • Reply 55 of 77
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rockridder View Post

The only reason, and I mean only reason any IT department would allow an IPAD on the network would be because some gadget happy executives mandated it.

Exactly. Many IT Dept's are loath to admit Apple has anything to offer... and in most companies, you need an Executive to spearhead innovation (not IT).
  • Reply 56 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

iOS has much better security, better compatibility with Active Sync and better corporate management capabilities. Droids are nice phones but if you have a medium to high security environment don't expect to use it in your organization

Android 2.2 has the same exact feature set as iPhone 4.0 when it comes to ActiveSync (policies, remote wipe etc).

For the best ActiveSync support, Windows Phone 7 will be the best choice.
  • Reply 57 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rockridder View Post

The only reason, and I mean only reason any IT department would allow an IPAD on the network would be because some gadget happy executives mandated it.

The same gadget-happy execs who carry MBPs, have iMacs at home, and carry iPhones as well as their Blackberrys, no doubt. I know a few of them. Do YOU?
  • Reply 58 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

bettieblue, you are missing the critical lesson learned by Microsoft - if you provide the infrastructure necessary you can drive a large amount of uptake and market dominance - look at Redmond's use in enterprise computing - it's all about the infrastructure they provide. And Apple has learned that lesson as well - see the iPod. It's a necessary combination of device and supporting infrastructure - this is what is driving Apple's success and while other devices will come out, you are looking at the same race to the bottom pricing-wise that Apple has ignored successfully in the desktop/laptop markets.

Unless HP can be successful leveraging WebOS as a tablet driver AND provide the rest of the supporting infrastructure to compete with iOS, it will gain a bit of market and then flatten out. Same thing with Win7. Google is already going schizophrenic between Android and ChromeOS, because they don't care which is used so long as they own the delivery system for ad/search revenue. Google is only going to drive this as long as nothing better comes along to drive their business model. Once that happens both Android and ChromeOS will be either retired from active support, or spun off. So just having a device in the market segment isn't going to address the immediate expectation created for consumers that "everything just works" and the company is pro-actively supporting the platform. Apple is a "platform" company, not just a device company. I'm surprised that you don't get that.

You quote the iPod, sure there is nothing that competes with that infrastructure when it comes to MP3 players but that is yesterday.

Android is getting there fast and in some areas faster. Google is going to release their music/app store in October? From the video I saw you will manage your account, its content and your devices from the cloud or web browser, no iTune required. Also Windows Phone 7, October?, will use have a new app store, basically Zune store with apps. The Zune also does not need a USB to computer connection today. From what I have read Windows Phone 7 will only sync with cloud data and not to a computer, ActiveSync style. Both are examples of how the other guys have woken up and now are closing in on Apple. As Andy said on Macbreak Weekly, "the iPhone enjoyed 3 years of lead time, the iPad has maybe 10 months".
  • Reply 59 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gnomehole View Post

Granted there is more work to do - these products may not be for everyone. I'm sure we'll give Microsoft and (gulp) Android a shot but they are now very late to the mobility game. Too late if I have my way

"I'm sure we'll give Microsoft and (gulp) Android a shot but they are now very late to the mobility game. Too late if I have my way "

Are you serious? iPad has been out 6 months and you have written off anything else? I dont buy the fortune 500 stuff. Any IT staff that moves on iPad's now, as in for production use is not doing their corporation a service at all. Why move so fast? The product has not been out even a year. There is only one player with many to come.

A serious IT staff would flush out the real use cases for a tablet, and not some group wanting the latest toys. The IT staff would work through compatibility issues, and security issues of all choices. The would do a cost analsys and determine the real cost of the total solution, devices, support, software that maybe needed on existing solutions to support the new devices etc was justified.

Tablets are probably really good for some groups at any company. However a Windows tablet that can be locked down, or joined to a AD domain, wiped if lost, forced to have a password policy etc, might be a better choice for a dominant Windows company. At a small media company was very lax IT, the iPad is probably better.
  • Reply 60 of 77
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    So, a bunch of lawyers can use iPads to do the job they used to do on laptops, how?

Is their job surfing the NYT and watching Netflix and perusing personal photos? If so then being a lawyer sounds all right.