Apple's annual iPod event with iTV unveiling rumored for Sept. 7

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Though it is widely expected that Apple will hold a media-centric event in September, a new report claims sources within the company have confirmed the date: Sept. 7.

Bloomberg added to its report on Apple's alleged plans for a 99 cent TV show rental service, and cited an anonymous source in stating the Sept. 7 event date.

"Episodes will be available to Apple's rental service within 24 hours of their air dates and will be commercial-free, one of the people said," author Peter Burrows wrote. "Apple plans to hold a San Francisco Event Sept. 7, two weeks ahead of the start of the new prime-time TV season, to unveil the service and an updated line of entertainment products, two people said."

The report also added that the new Apple TV, called "iTV" in some rumors, will be a "new direction" for the company. Apple previously attempted to start a subscription TV plan, but networks reportedly rejected the company's pitch. A subscription plan could cut into the high retransmission rates that networks receive from cable operators, the report said.

The information was added to an initial report filed Tuesday by Bloomberg, in which the publication said that Apple was in "advanced talks" with News Corp., owner of the Fox network, to offer 99 cent TV show rentals ahead of an anticipated Apple TV update. Apple is also said to be in negotiations with CBS and ABC for a service that would allow users to rent shows through iTunes for 48 hours.

The report also said that Apple, at its planned Sept. 7 event, will introduce a new iPod touch with a higher-resolution screen, as well as a cloud-centric Apple TV with less internal storage starting at $99.

Previous reports have also shed light on Apple's alleged Apple TV refresh, which one rumor claimed will be called iTV. It has been suggested the new hardware will run Apple's iOS operating system and will allow access to software on the App Store.

Digg Founder Kevin Rose said Apple's iAds will allow content producers to directly monetize and distribute their content, and the new "iTV" will turn the iPad into a remote control as the "preferred input device." He also suggested that the iPad could be used to edit videos, control games, and see alternate camera angles with an "interactive television experience."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Hello and thank you.

First of all, I'd like to share with you some amazing, magical numbers.

We're number one in everything except to those things where we are number two or three! Isn't that just insane? Yeah, thanks, I also thought you'd like to know that.

Now, we know you've been hearing about this new product we are supposedly working on.

And, you know, it's about TV. And no one got TV thus far, all attempts failed so far, we even dubbed ours as an "hobby". So it's a problem no one solved.

But I think we have come up with the solution.

Many rumours have come up with what the device is like and what it does. What you don't know is how magical it is. How revolutionary. This will leapfrog everything on the market for years.

It's magical. Simply is. You gotta buy it to believe it!
  • Reply 2 of 24
    LuisDias, I bet your pretty close. and I bet ill buy one too. i hate my cable company and really like my phone company.... so im willing to give my phone company a try at TV. I am really hoping they make it work.... Need college football though and noone really talks about how to get live events through iTV or google TV
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I guess this means they have solved the legal issues with the iTV name... or maybe it'll be called something else
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhawkins7 View Post

LuisDias, I bet your pretty close. and I bet ill buy one too. i hate my cable company and really like my phone company.... so im willing to give my phone company a try at TV. I am really hoping they make it work.... Need college football though and noone really talks about how to get live events through iTV or google TV

Exactly my problem. I hate my cable company too. iTV would be great. But I need my live sports.

But again, this is all rumors. No one really knows what's coming out.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    I'll be very surprised indeed if Apple has managed to convince the content providers to get over their old-school International market thinking. If it comes to fruition at all, it will be USA exclusive for a period, with International services rolling out slowly after that with a very limited selection of programmes, probably days or weeks after US transmission.

I would love to be proved wrong.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Hello and thank you.

First of all, I'd like to share with you some amazing, magical numbers.

We're number one in everything except to those things where we are number two or three! Isn't that just insane? Yeah, thanks, I also thought you'd like to know that.

Now, we know you've been hearing about this new product we are supposedly working on.

And, you know, it's about TV. And no one got TV thus far, all attempts failed so far, we even dubbed ours as an "hobby". So it's a problem no one solved.

But I think we have come up with the solution.

Many rumours have come up with what the device is like and what it does. What you don't know is how magical it is. How revolutionary. This will leapfrog everything on the market for years.

It's magical. Simply is. You gotta buy it to believe it!

Wow! You're channeling Senator Pelosi. "We've got to pass this huge unmitigated mess of a bill, before we find out what's in it!".
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Apple was in "advanced talks" with News Corp., owner of the Fox network ...

Can we get an iTV with all News Corp content blocked?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbro1999 View Post

Exactly my problem. I hate my cable company too. iTV would be great. But I need my live sports.

Ditto on the live sports aspect of it. Would be nice if MLB, NFL, etc would offer up a full access package for non-cable or dish folks. Yeah, I know they do now, but my home town Minnesota teams get blocked out here in Fargo. And that isn't full access.

I don't have cable now and probably won't ever, and live off OTA. I really wish that the networks would figure out that the next wave isn't based on their 1960's "Mad Men" era business model. A subsription model, for a couple of bucks per channel per month, is exactly what is needed right now. And over the net is where it should be, so I can watch it anywhere, any time. I'd sign up for five or six channels right now! Who needs the rest of the 35 to 40 channels of crap that are on the basic lineup?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Can we kill the shuffle now, please?

my prediction;

?Shuffle killed

?Nano thinner. 8gb dropped, 16gb only

?Classic thinner, 160/250gb capacity (250gb at price of current 160gb)

?New Touch with front facing camera.

? iOS 4.1 on iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad.

?No new iPad

?iTV/Apple TV with iOS/redesigned BackRow
  • Reply 10 of 24
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benptooey View Post

I'll be very surprised indeed if Apple has managed to convince the content providers to get over their old-school International market thinking. If it comes to fruition at all, it will be USA exclusive for a period, with International services rolling out slowly after that with a very limited selection of programmes, probably days or weeks after US transmission.

I would love to be proved wrong.

Go to internationnal Itunes stores and you will see everthing is all in place, the only difference is the price. Once US TV networks go to 99 cents, all international TV networks will follow in order to compete. I already bought some 99 cents TV shows in Canada, BBC "Robin Hood" season 1 was "on special" at 99 cents per episodes.

I live in Canada and Itunes Canada just put up a french movies section 3 weeks ago. Something is happening on all fronts I can tell you that.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbro1999 View Post

ESPN apps anyone? And hook up an OTA HD antenna to your TV set and at least you still have local TV channels which could carry live sports. Like I said before, a iTV pro with ATSC tuner and PVR would be great.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Digg Founder Kevin Rose said Apple's iAds will allow content producers to directly monetize and distribute their content, and the new "iTV" will turn the iPad into a remote control as the "preferred input device." He also suggested that the iPad could be used to edit videos, control games, and see alternate camera angles with an "interactive television experience."

I remember alternative angles as being a big selling point for DVD's. However in the past 10 years I think I remember one movie (worth watching) that had that feature.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoonyfork View Post

Can we get an iTV with all News Corp content blocked?

Don't worry it sounds like the setup will allow you to continue through life with blinders on. If you don't see it, it can't be real or happening right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

ESPN apps anyone? And hook up an OTA HD antenna to your TV set and at least you still have local TV channels which could carry live sports. Like I said before, a iTV pro with ATSC tuner and PVR would be great.

Only I'm a big NHL fan and ESPN continues to play games with them. Going in to this model you can't rely on them alone. Competing networks such as Fox Sports, Versus, etc. needs to have an equal opportunity to compete. I'm following you though for the most part...
  • Reply 13 of 24
    I'm really sceptical of these rumours about iTV. First of all, iTV is the old name for AppleTV so I don't understand why Apple would suddenly change their mind, not least because of the well established UK TV network of the same name.

But also, Steve Jobs said just a few months ago:

"The problem with innovation in the TV industry is the go to market strategy. The TV industry has a subsidized model that gives everyone a set top box for free. So no one wants to buy a box. Ask TiVo, ask Roku, ask us... ask Google in a few months.

So all you can do is ADD a box to the TV. You just end up with a table full of remotes, a cluster of boxes... and that's what we have today. The only way that's going to change is if you tear up the set top box, give it a new UI, and get it in front of consumers in a way they're going to want it. The TV is going to lose in our eyes until there is a better go to market strategy... otherwise you're just making another TiVo. [you can't just partner with providers because] providers are local... it's a Tower of Babel problem..."
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Yeah it would be great. But your looking at 3 different types of things instead of just one cable box which makes it complicated. Maybe not for us tech guys, but there is no way I could talk my girlfriend into that.

And I like my hockey... ESPN doesn't carry it and my local team you can't get though the air.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    I'll buy this if this can successfully replace my CableTV. I barely watch TV (about 5 hours a week) and I only watch Discovery, National Geographic, PBS, Food Network, Space. I'd also like to have my Local News and Weather, but I can pull that off from Over-The-Air antenna for free.

Since this will be based on TV apps, I'd like my local TV station to make a streaming app.

If there are going to be subscriptions to Networks(there should be), and less than $40/month, then good bye CableTV.

Can't wait till first day of school -_-"
  • Reply 16 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Can we kill the shuffle now, please?

my prediction;

?Shuffle killed

I love the Shuffle and I?m hoping for a new one. I want one that also contains Nike+ within so I don?t have to run with my iPhone attached to my arm (which I can?t do until I find a suitable iPhone 4 armband). I loved the idea of the Shuffle with a 1? display as it would allow for more intricate controls, (which is unlike the original concept for the Shuffle but would be a step to getting me the Nike+ option that so desire.

If anything gets killed I think it?s the Classic, but that all depends on current sales as there it doesn?t cost any additional engineering to maintain that product.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Apple previously attempted to start a subscription TV plan, but networks reportedly rejected the company's pitch. A subscription plan could cut into the high retransmission rates that networks receive from cable operators, the report said.

So a monthly rate subscription service from Apple would cut into possible syndie deals. But Hulu and Netflix who basically offer the same thing doesn't. I'm not understanding that logic.

Also how does 48 hour rentals not do the same thing. Or are they talking that any ep can only be rented during the first 48 after initial airing. After that, you have to buy it etc.

I can understand the networks not wanting to do a monthly amount if they had any plans to give shows credit for these rentals in terms of budget make back. But I doubt they do. They will likely just continue to work from the all holy and trusted (but totally broken) Nielsen ratings in that regards and all other sources just go into the common fund as always. But regardless, even if someone was willing to count the funds, I don't see how this is any more of a threat to syndie than hulu, netflix or even just the itunes/amazon buy options or dvd/blu-ray box sets.

That said, I love the idea of a system that would basically replace cable as a second service. I'm already getting cable and internet over the same cable. Why not make them the same thing. Why not set up a system where I can subscribe by channel to just the ones I want. Or to small packages. How about a 'broadcast package' that has the big boys. Then I can add on USA, Bravo, AMC, Syfy, etc that I actually watch, top it off with HBO and Showtime. Forget the rest of the stuff. I don't need 8 channels of QVC or 20 of ESPN. I don't watch MTV other than the awards shows sometimes but that's usually at a bar just like my sports. If the revised AppleTV content system pushed something like that, I'm in. Even if I have to fork up $100 or so for the box. If the box let me stream output from my ipad to my tv for games and such that wouldn't be bad either.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

I'm really sceptical of these rumours about iTV. First of all, iTV is the old name for AppleTV so I don't understand why Apple would suddenly change their mind, not least because of the well established UK TV network of the same name.

But also, Steve Jobs said just a few months ago:

"The problem with innovation in the TV industry is the go to market strategy. The TV industry has a subsidized model that gives everyone a set top box for free. So no one wants to buy a box. Ask TiVo, ask Roku, ask us... ask Google in a few months.

So all you can do is ADD a box to the TV. You just end up with a table full of remotes, a cluster of boxes... and that's what we have today. The only way that's going to change is if you tear up the set top box, give it a new UI, and get it in front of consumers in a way they're going to want it. The TV is going to lose in our eyes until there is a better go to market strategy... otherwise you're just making another TiVo. [you can't just partner with providers because] providers are local... it's a Tower of Babel problem..."

They clearly wanted iTV from the start. Maybe they feel they've worked out the trademark issues related to the name now.

Jobs says a lot of things, and often appears to go back on his words (video iPod, books, etc.). What you should take out of that statement is that expensive set top boxes that don't replace what the cable company gives you for free do not work. It's a different story if a $99 box lets you get rid of the cable box (and the bill) through itunes, hulu, netflix, and a multitude of apps to follow. iOS supports external hardware, so it's likely that even if it's not incorporated, you could add things like a tv tuner to get your local over the air stations. Add in games, music, email, internet and using iDevices as remotes (in addition to whatever remote is included) and you have a very attractive offering.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I would be so pissed if this stays a rumor and GoogleTV beats apple to this.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I would be so pissed if this stays a rumor and GoogleTV beats apple to this.

Me too, I think Apple missed the most opportune window for coming out with an ARM/iOS-based TV a year ago. If they don?t deliver now I don?t think they?ll have any chance to regain the living room until the next major shift.