Microsoft heavily promotes Bing search through iPhone apps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ya know...

I don't enjoy being fucked over by anyone...

Given the choice, though, I'd rather be fucked over by Microsoft than Google...

... at least I get a kiss for my efforts (instead if a sermon)!

I can't imagine why Steve lets either one of those companies on his phones. They are both so evil.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

I can't imagine why Steve lets either one of those companies on his phones. They are both so evil.

So what search engine do you use?
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JuanGuapo View Post

i went back to using Yahoo after the whole Buzz debacle, was glad to see that I can finally enable it in Safari as a default. Google does a great job at search--second to none--but I do not trust them, far less than I do Micro$oft, Yahoo, or anything else. Bing is nice, too.

Frankly, I feel safer with Ballmer sweating all over my data than Schmidt wiping his backside with it.

Buzz was easy to disable...I did so on day 1.

If you don't have a Google account...I'm not sure how much private data Google can really get out of you that Yahoo and Bing doesn't.

Or read this, about how Google was the only search engine to resist the government subpoena of its search data:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/20/te.../20google.html
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Count the number of times Bing appears in this story. Reminds me of the time Stephen Colbert was paid by Microsoft everytime he would say "Bing" on the air.

AI does not get anything from Microsoft. The way it works is that they use Google Ads.

So they run a story that mentions Bing a lot of times, and the forum posters mention Bing a lot of times, and everyone gets a lot of Bing ads from Google. Just watch. You're going to see them on your screen.

Then we can click on the Bing ads, and Microsoft pays Google. Google then pays AI. So AI gets there money from Google and not Microsoft.

Clicking on the banner ads here is a very good thing for the loyal readers to do. That is how AI gets paid - Google is their customer, and we need to support them. That way AI can continue to bring us better and better stuff, and we all are there product to sell to Google.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

So what search engine do you use?

http://www.exalead.com/search/
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

I think you underestimate greatly google's potential to do evil should they continue to dominate the search/cloudinfo marketplace. In any case, it's not either or, google or MS. I don't want one search co dominating the information highway. I am not touting Bing as much as I am touting competition?which is very scant at this point.

As for MobileMe, I am as cheap as they come but suddenly, google has made me painfully aware of the price of free. $70/year (family pack, amazon price) looks like a screaming great deal to me now.

Edit: google in fact reminds me of MS circa 1990s. No thanks.

I'm having trouble comparing Google to 1990s MS. If you mean that they are both immensely successful during their prime years, than I agree.

The price of free being...that you get ads? What makes you think that Apple doesn't have the same kind of access to your personal data? The fact that they don't use it in a very robotic way to get relevant ads doesn't really change much.

Essentially MobileMe is the same as buying the $50/year version Google Apps, although the two services are targeting a different customer.

Here's the thing with digital data - it's the same as writing a letter. If you write it down, digital or on a piece of paper, there's always a chance that someone will find it in the future. If you want something to be private, don't write it down - or don't create it on your hard drive. Simple as that. Google or anyone else doesn't have access to anything you don't want them to.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

The price of free being...that you get ads? What makes you think that Apple doesn't have the same kind of access to your personal data? The fact that they don't use it in a very robotic way to get relevant ads doesn't really change much.

Essentially MobileMe is the same as buying the $50/year version Google Apps, although the two services are targeting a different customer.

Here's the thing with digital data - it's the same as writing a letter. If you write it down, digital or on a piece of paper, there's always a chance that someone will find it in the future. If you want something to be private, don't write it down - or don't create it on your hard drive. Simple as that. Google or anyone else doesn't have access to anything you don't want them to.

Perhaps I am not making myself clear. Any corporation that gets to control too much of anything is a very bad thing in my book. Google is such a corporation right now. Too much internet and information mind share and physical data. Google this, and gmail that. Search does not equal google and gmail does not equal email in my book but there are plenty of people that think it does. Now add recent google developments (wifi theft, NSA contracts, verizon "policy" statement) and you have a company that to me is a threat to my idea of free markets and a neutral Internet. The kicker is that they don't make dime unless they sell your information in one form or another. Not. A. Dime. So I'm short on google and you can do what you like but I say with respect that I think you're missing the forrest for the trees.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Perhaps I am not making myself clear. Any corporation that gets to control too much of anything is a very bad thing in my book. Google is such a corporation right now.

Translation:

Capitalism is only good when either corporations aren't too successful or they have an apple-shaped logo.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Translation:

Capitalism is only good when either corporations aren't too successful or they have an apple-shaped logo.

Even you would have to admit that Google is PURE EVIL while Steve loves every single one of his customers.