Third-party iPad clamshell keyboard case revealed in FCC filing

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

But the iPad does most everything better than a laptop.

How about writing a document on the other side of town from work that your colleague back in the office will expect in DOC or DOCX format?
  • Reply 62 of 84
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

the iPad actually types pretty well, you'd be surprised. Not as fast as a real keyboard, but quite nicely nonetheless. Not that you would know.

Apple has offered bluetooth keyboards for sale for years, long before the iPad was around. Get a grip.

Duh, maybe it is time to read the title - "Third-party ipad clamshell keyboard". Get a grip!
  • Reply 63 of 84
    I think there is a more important story here that is being overlooked.

If my memory serves me correct, this is the first non-Apple product I have ever seen with a 30-pin dock.

Many products have a 30-pin connector, but I don't recall seeing a 3rd party product with the actual 30-pin dock before.

I wonder if this is officially licensed from Apple?

It also appears to be for charging only.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I think there is a more important story here that is being overlooked.

If my memory serves me correct, this is the first non-Apple product I have ever seen with a 30-pin dock.

Many products have a 30-pin connector, but I don't recall seeing a 3rd party product with the actual 30-pin dock before.

I wonder if this is officially licensed from Apple?

It also appears to be for charging only.

At least someone else picked on that: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...6&postcount=45
  • Reply 65 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

Not to mention by the time you buy the 64gb iPad, then add on the keyboard accesories and all that.. your almost at the cost of a macbook anyways..

Exactly, but you know my guts are telling me the next product they are working on, is a portable 15" monitor to connect to the jumblemumble iPad - keyshell devices. Ahd don't forget the foldable desk to install everything properly.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I think I would rather have one of the Apple keyboard docks instead of this.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Your statements implies that ipad is used a lot more for creation than was previously thought.

Prove it.

The common perception is its generally for web browsing, email, and some games. I know I sure as heck wouldn't write books, create ads, do major excel worksheet, data bases etc etc etc etc on an ipad.

Thats not to trash it, just saying thats not what it is primarily for or used for.

Hearing this from you, I can draw only one single conclusion - you sill don't own an iPad and you havn' t yet expirienced it's genuine possibilities. And btw Numbers on the iPad just rocks as does Keynote and Pages. If you like the iWorks suit on a Mac, there is no way that you would't love these applications on the iPad.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

And you'd be wrong, but don't let that stop you from endlessly repeating it.

Oh, Chopper, back to troll for a bit? Not that we missed you.
  • Reply 70 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This entire "consumption" vs. "creation" dichotomy is a false representation both of the capabilities and uses of an iPad and the uses of a PC...

ARGH! This is my point: NOBODY said it was a dichotomy! I'm actually agreeing with you on the central issue - I think the iPad does BOTH creation and consumption.

However, your original comment was about a "false dichotomy" in reference to somebody else's post. But their post never suggested a dichotomy, since they merely said the iPad does consumption "more than" creation. Hence, not implying any mutual exclusivity regarding the iPad as a consumption or creation device.

Essentially, when it all boils down to it, I was calling you out on using big words when you shouldn't have.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

It has basically been common knowledge that the iPad is more for content consumption then creation though.

You're regurgitating anti-Apple propaganda. It's well known by more than a few that we can create content just fine. Gave an excellent Keynote presentation to my graduate class that garnered an A. Created solely on the iPad.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    Quote:

Essentially, when it all boils down to it, I was calling you out on using big words when you shouldn't have.

I'm using the word correctly. His post, in the language he uses, creates the (false) dichotomy of consumption vs. creation. I don't see why you think someone has to explicitly say, "there is this dichotomy..." for their language to do just that.
  • Reply 73 of 84
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

ARGH! This is my point: NOBODY said it was a dichotomy! I'm actually agreeing with you on the central issue - I think the iPad does BOTH creation and consumption.

However, your original comment was about a "false dichotomy" in reference to somebody else's post. But their post never suggested a dichotomy, since they merely said the iPad does consumption "more than" creation. Hence, not implying any mutual exclusivity regarding the iPad as a consumption or creation device.

Meh, give it up, he doesn't realize 'more than' is not a dichotomy. could give him the dictionary link I suppose.

I know you are correct, you know you correct. Then there is the contest of parsing what 'content creation' is - like email... arrrrggghh.

Back to the topic, sort of , personally, would like iOS software in a mac air form factor(for content creation... ). Spin the screen and fold over to make touch screen only (for content consumption... ).
  • Reply 74 of 84
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The dichotomy posited is consumption vs. creation, otherwise, why discuss it as a point. One must consume or create, not both. My point is that the two are not mutually exclusive even in a single activity.

I also disagree that it's "common knowledge". It may be commonly said, or commonly thought, or commonly repeated, but 'knowledge' grants it a status I don't think the assertion merits. It's an entirely mistaken notion that consumption is necessarily the primary activity on an iPad. And, as I pointed out, meaningless as any sort of distinguishing characteristic of the device. So, why go about saying it, especially when most people spend considerable amounts of time on PCs consuming, and often very little creating?

Let me pop in here.

1. iPad, along with an iPhone was created to get apps to people. Downloading an app is, by definition, consumption. No one is creating app store apps on an iPhone (i guess you can jot down some code in notepad, but that's about it).

2. Here are official app store categories: Games - consumption, Entertainment - consumption, Utilities: Either, Social Networking - Either, Music - Consumption, Productivity - either, Lifestyle - ?, Reference - consumption, Travel - consumption, Sports - consumption, Navigation - consumption, Healthcare and fitness - consumption, News - consumption, Photography - Either, Finance - consumption, Business - Either, Education - consumption, Books - consumption, Medical - Consumption.

13/20 consumption

6/20 both consumption and creation

1/20 undefined

19/20 apps categories imply consumption, only 6 imply creation.

Aside from iPad's iWork and Painting apps there really is not much that I saw that could really prompt people to create something bigger then a shopping list of items.

3. You are wrong when you put a false dichotomy of "One must consume or create, not both." Because during social networking you are both consuming info and creating info by chatting with your friends. One activity two outcomes. There are better examples I can come up with if you want like learning or reading, but would be too long for this post.

4. From observation of people on the train ride to work the most content creation I see on iDevices is text messages, the rest is evenly split between reading, gaming and listening to music.

(I don't work in tech so I most people at work use PCs and outside of work my friends largely use their iPads/Phones for recreation as well. A few tried to create docs on iPad, including me, but after a while found it easier to just use a regular laptop).

Thanks a bunch.
  • Reply 75 of 84
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member

Nice, but that is pretty limited. I wonder if that is a newer change to their licensing or if it?s cost prohibitive for most applications.
  • Reply 76 of 84
    Quote:

Why can't apple just make a product and let people choose whether they want to buy it or not? Why does it drive so many people crazy that their products don't offer every single feature on earth? If you want a netbook, buy a netbook. Then you can be content with your USB, camera, etc. If you want what the iPad has to offer, then buy the iPad.

DaHarder - I'm sure you're perfectly able to draw a reasonable conclusion such as this, but instead chose to be an ignorant troll. Shame on you.

I find your attitude exceedingly annoying. Your use of the word "troll" is not justifiable. Shame on your.

I like to read the posts here, and I like encountering opinions of all sorts, whether they do or do not agree with mine. I think that everyone has a right to their opinion. It annoys the h@ll out of me when I encounter so many posts like yours. Why can't you tolerate people who have opinions that differ from yours?
  • Reply 77 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Let me pop in here.

1. iPad, along with an iPhone was created to get apps to people. Downloading an app is, by definition, consumption.

2. Here are official app store categories:

3. ... Because during social networking you are both consuming info and creating info by chatting with your friends. One activity two outcomes.

4. From observation of people on the train ride to work the most content creation I see on iDevices is text messages, the rest is evenly split between reading, gaming and listening to music.

Well, this post is quite a bit different from the original comment. I would point out, however,

1. People install applications on PCs, so by that criteria there is just as much consumption going on there.

2. The app category analysis is flawed since you will find "creative" apps in almost every category, or at least apps that involve both types of activity.

3. I agree completely with the part I quoted.

4. Not exactly a thorough survey nor necessarily a typical period of people's days. But, again, this sort of activity is not atypical of what many or even most people would be doing on PCs if they had them with them.

The point is that this whole, "The iPad is for consumption," thing is just so much nonsense. There are plenty of apps currently available, and more coming out every day that are for creating, not consuming, and there is nothing at all about the iPad, or tablets in general, that makes them primarily consumption devices. It's entirely up to the owner and his or her interests and inclinations, just as it is with PCs.
  • Reply 78 of 84
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Yea... Now my iPad can be a real netbook! (sans the USB ports, media card reader, web camera, full-fledged applications, et al... that is)

Wow. Top marks to you for throwing off the thread into troll-land from the very first post. *golf clap*
  • Reply 79 of 84
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I hope you still find an empty (meaning gadget free) spot at your place to have a nap from time to time. I hear sleeping on a pile of netbooks, mobile phones and laptops is not very healthy for your back.

He keeps the vast majority of that stuff in his home office, which is a semi-detached building which forms only a small portion of the compound. I assure you that the master suite is not cluttered. The upstairs maid would never allow that.
  • Reply 80 of 84
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I still have mine for my Palm IIIxe. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of similar thing crop up for the iPad.

As for the keyboard, I don't see it as trying to make the iPad a netbook (it isn't one, never will be, never can be), but mainly for those people who don't want to purchase and carry a second fully independent device to do more typing involved things (like an e-mail or a blog or an AI comment) from time to time. If you already have a laptop, then this probably isn't for you.

Question, will keyboards like this one work with other BT devices that support a BT keyboard, or did they lock it to just the iPad? (aka: iPhone, iPod touch, Android mobiles, Computers, etc...)

Steve would never allow anything that ugly to connect to his devices.