Alleged next-gen iPod touch front panel compared with iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
An LCD and digitizer alleged to be from Apple's upcoming fourth-generation iPod touch shows a display that is smaller and different in color than the iPhone 4 front panel.

The website smartphonemedic.com got their hands on a purported part from Apple's forthcoming iPod touch refresh. Like on the iPhone 4, the LCD, glass and digitizer on the part are all fused together as one solid component that cannot be disassembled.

A side-by-side comparison with the front panel for a third-generation iPod touch shows that the presumed new device is slightly longer and slimmer than its predecessor. Laid next to the iPhone 4 front panel, the supposed iPod touch component is slightly smaller.

The site also noted that the LCD panel on the iPhone 4 is darker than the display found on the alleged fourth-generation iPod touch front panel. It said the fourth-generation screen has a "red or grayish tint to it."

The site also noted that the connections included on the LCD and digitizer are "a little different" than found on the iPhone 4. The purported iPod touch panel is also missing brackets found on the side of the iPhone 4 assembly.

As with numerous previous leaked parts (1, 2), the front panel includes a space likely to be used for a forward-facing camera. This would mean that the next-generation iPod touch will allow FaceTime video chat over Wi-Fi.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    "Like on the iPhone 4, the LCD, glass and digitizer on the part are all fused together as one solid component that cannot be disassembled."

So if the screen gets shattered, there goes Benjamin.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    riderrider Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

"Like on the iPhone 4, the LCD, glass and digitizer on the part are all fused together as one solid component that cannot be disassembled."

So if the screen gets shattered, there goes Benjamin.

Yep ... I broke my scree on Monday, just a small drop . I guess I just happen to hit the right spot, luckily its still under warranty and got it replaced at the apple store for free . Now i will have to carry this beauty in a ugly cover .
  • Reply 3 of 26
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    I think AI got played.

The iPod touch touchscreens have always been the same size as the iPhone part.

Highly unlikely that they would pick different parts. After all, much of the cost reduction for both units comes because they share parts in volume. The touchscreen panel is the priciest part of the device, making separate parts even less likely if Apple is trying to hold down COGS.

This is a page 2 rumor, nothing more.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Just speculation from my part, but maybe they want to sell iPod touch with a smaller price, hence they'll use a standar LCD screen (i.e. not Retina Display). Besides, iPod touch is sold in great quantities, they may have already get a price reduction from that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I think AI got played.

Highly unlikely that they would pick different parts. After all, much of the cost reduction for both units comes because they share parts in volume. The touchscreen panel is the priciest part of the device, making separate parts even less likely if Apple is trying to hold down COGS.

This is a page 2 rumor, nothing more.

• Reply 5 of 26
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Arse - you are talking out of it.

The iPod and iPhone screens may have been the same size, but they weren't the same part.

http://gizmodo.com/299774/tested-iph...d-touch-screen
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Nah, you're quoting Gizmodo from 2007.

Production run variations from the first-generation products, nothing more.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ungenio View Post

Just speculation from my part, but maybe they want to sell iPod touch with a smaller price, hence they'll use a standar LCD screen (i.e. not Retina Display). Besides, iPod touch is sold in great quantities, they may have already get a price reduction from that.

That would be a change from their standard procedure of having the same display in the iPod touch as the iPhone.

Apple sells two iPod touches for every three iPhones. If they had been so focused on cutting costs, they would have used a low-spec'ed part from the onset, but it appears that Apple does not want to do that.

The iPod touch always has the same CPU, memory, GPU, and display as the iPhone from the same release cycle.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

That would be a change from their standard procedure of having the same display in the iPod touch as the iPhone.

Apple sells two iPod touches for every three iPhones. If they had been so focused on cutting costs, they would have used a low-spec'ed part from the onset, but it appears that Apple does not want to do that.

The iPod touch always has the same CPU, memory, GPU, and display as the iPhone from the same release cycle.

Except that Apple has a policy of using a previous generation iPhone/touch as their entry level unit. With the iPhone 3GS still in volume production for the next year it wouldn't be at all surprising for entry level touches to continue with the 2nd generation look and components. The production volume of older units is high enough for Apple to get maximum discounts. It's likely the high end touch will have a new look and new capabilities including the retina display.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

It's likely the high end touch will have a new look and new capabilities including the retina display.

Well, that's my point.

Whatever CPU/memory/GPU/display is in the iPhone 4 will probably be in the iPod touch 4 because that's what they have done the previous three times. They'll keep producing a low-capacity version of the 3rd generation iPod touch as the entry level device.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Except that Apple has a policy of using a previous generation iPhone/touch as their entry level unit. With the iPhone 3GS still in volume production for the next year it wouldn't be at all surprising for entry level touches to continue with the 2nd generation look and components. The production volume of older units is high enough for Apple to get maximum discounts. It's likely the high end touch will have a new look and new capabilities including the retina display.

Makes sense...

They have to do something to save money on the touch. the selling price is so much lower than what they get for an iPhone. the price difference seems substantially greater than the obvious hardware differences. (cellular radio, gps, camera...)
  • Reply 11 of 26
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vvpay4buy View Post

www.Pay4Buy.com supply discounted Apple ID/iTunes Account 50%save

We supply discounted Apple ID/iTunes Account,for download apple music,movie,software,app.We ensure that each account can be used right here,and Responsible for after-sales service.Give all customers full range of satisfactory service,save your money and time.24/7 satisfy livehelp

iTunes account

UNLIMIT ACCOUNT 100 Value=$66.99

12Hours Account 100 Value=$38.99

24Hours Account 100 Value=$47.99

delivery in 15 minutes

accept Paypal creditcard

www.Pay4Buy.com

www.Pay4Buy.com

www.Pay4Buy.com

www.Pay4Buy.com

www.Pay4Buy.com

www.Pay4Buy.com

WTF is this? SPAM? C'mon AI, get this shit off your boards....
  • Reply 12 of 26
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rider View Post

Yep ... I broke my scree on Monday, just a small drop . I guess I just happen to hit the right spot, luckily its still under warranty and got it replaced at the apple store for free . Now i will have to carry this beauty in a ugly cover .

Did they replace the screen only, or give you a new i4? If it was a new phone, was the antenna a different color than the old one (a la a recent comment that they may be coating the antenna now on new ones)?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Makes sense...

They have to do something to save money on the touch. the selling price is so much lower than what they get for an iPhone. the price difference seems substantially greater than the obvious hardware differences. (cellular radio, gps, camera...)

The iPhone has a much higher gross margin than the iPod touch. As a matter of fact, the iPhone has a higher GM than every other Apple product line. It's their cash cow.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Still waiting to see the rest of the case. If they made the display thinner, I'm guessing that the whole iPod is gonna get slimmed down as well. If that is the case I am willing to bet it would be squarish like the iPhone, because they would need that extra space to stick camera (s) into. Very excited for this september.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Pixel Qi
  • Reply 16 of 26
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Still waiting to see the rest of the case. If they made the display thinner, I'm guessing that the whole iPod is gonna get slimmed down as well. If that is the case I am willing to bet it would be squarish like the iPhone, because they would need that extra space to stick camera (s) into.

Nah, the display thickness doesn't necessarily indicate the overall dimensions.

I'm not convinced that it would be best for Apple to slim down the iPod touch anymore. The third generation iPod touch is 0.8 millimeter slimmer than the iPhone 4. It might be cheaper for them to manufacture with the same dimensions, and give the iPod touch 4 some extra battery power.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    The size of the display is similar to the the iPhone 4, just look at the back of both parts. iP4 screen part is thicker, it seems. The glass or framework is smaller on this new iPod touch part. Can anybody elaborate why the reddish tone for this display?
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Could this part belong to the iPod Nano with a touch screen?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I just have this idea that Apple wants to shrink the size of the Touch either as an additional model or as a replacement for the current model. Currently volumes are so high that there is very little economic advantage to using the same hardware on the Touch and iPhone. In fact Touch would be at a disadvantage if it went the all glass route.

Besides they need room for a mid range iPod/iPad Touch like device. Even if such a device doesn't debut next month they still need to prep for it.

Dave
  • Reply 20 of 26
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

Nah, the display thickness doesn't necessarily indicate the overall dimensions.

I'm not convinced that it would be best for Apple to slim down the iPod touch anymore. The third generation iPod touch is 0.8 millimeter slimmer than the iPhone 4. It might be cheaper for them to manufacture with the same dimensions, and give the iPod touch 4 some extra battery power.

But didn't the article say that the new display is LONGER then current dimentions. So it couldn't be the same dimensions. If is longer, it might be to stick more stuff in, and if you wanna stick more stuff in, why not make it square like the iPhone?