Abortion solution?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK, i'm in the middle of page 2 of <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000060&p=2"; target="_blank">this</a> thread. I'm almost 18--so I will have to vote on this issue soon, and I don't plan on having to deal with this personally any time soon (unless of course a friend gets pregnant), so I currently am in the middle of forming my opinion on the matter... But I have a hypothetical question for everyone here: WHAT IF it was possibe to transport the fetus outside the body so the girl who wants to get an abortion has an option to not get pregnant, while at the same time keep the baby. It seems as if this would solve a lot of the problems people have with abortion. Noone is killing the unborn child and the woman is no longer pregnant. Is this even possible?

Discuss...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Oh dear god... not again!

::hides behind flame-resistant shield::
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Interesting solution...

But how would the fetus continue to develop? I'm fairly sure it isn't easy if even possible to continue the basic development of an unborn child unless he/she is already fairly close to being born. I'm thinking of the stage where the baby is only a clump of a few hundred or thousand cells. Hrmm.

Anywho, I'm no professional. So, I'd be best to run away now and put on my fireproof trousers...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I don't know if they've ever done it with people, but they do it with animals all the time - it's called embryo transfer.

It is possible to place a fertilized egg at an early stage into a woman who carries it to term - but they usually do that with in vitro fertilization, where test tube babies come from.

The trickier part would be getting the fertilized egg out of the woman, I would think. To get it in, they just squirt it in there, and it does its thing.

Anyway, I always preferred in vivo fertilization myself, but that's just me.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, you know, you could create an entire job market out of this.

calculate the cost of abortions, the cost of the disposal of the bodies, the cost of the protesters, added security etc.

then calcualte out what the average abortion costs. (who knows) but in any case, then you create a market of women who will carry the child to term for money. they eat right etc., and make money in the process. (god this would probably be psychologiclly traumatizing, but were just talking here)

in any case, pro abortion people are happy, anti abortion people are happy, and the world keeps turning.

lol, interesting idea.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    This was on an episode of the new Star Trek.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Yes it's would be an interesting idea, an artificial uterus. That's solve the problem of abortions : just has to transfer the embryo.

But there is ethics problems : the artificial uterus may be use in order to make clones or genitacally enhanced people. Even if the science can do it, (in many, many years ....) there will be terrible ethics problems with this new revolution.