Apple sends out invitations for Sept. 1 'special event'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

(serious) can you? How? I can only see edit on my posts

edit then advanced then remove all text in both subject and post. Then save changes.
  • Reply 62 of 103
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Only moderators can delete posts. His double-post has been sorted.

My bad. Thanks for setting me straight.
  • Reply 63 of 103
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 236member
    Remember last year when there was almost nothing new? Okay, there were cheap video cameras in the Nano. Most of the talk was about what Apple would kill...the Shuffle and the Classic topped everyone's list.

What about this year? I would still like to see the Shuffle go.
  • Reply 64 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I like the way the Reuters report on this says "may update iPods"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Apple-...&asset=&ccode=

You don't need to be all that smart, or even all that awake to know they definately will update the iPods.

No, that's speculation! I bet Apple is going to start selling acoustic guitars.
  • Reply 65 of 103
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

And why is that, some people like the shuffle as is or with more storage capacity 6-8GB wouldn't be bad with more battery life.
  • Reply 66 of 103
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

I hope there's mention of the iPad mini or at least the new iPad iOS release date.

I wouldn't hold your breathe
  • Reply 67 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I hope they release a more expensive version of the new Apple TV with a decent amount of storage as well as the $99 one, for those of us that already have loads of movies within iTunes and don't want to leave their computers on for the unit to stream from constantly.

You must not have been paying attention to the tech news. The new AppleTV/iTV will be more about streaming media instead of storing on board....
  • Reply 68 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cowhide View Post

Today Google announced you can call people using gmail addresses.

The ipad will employ email as a way to use Facetime.

I m sure it is just a coincidence

Uhm....What? The iPad employing emails as a way to use Facetime? Did you mount a camera on your iPad or something? The current iPad can NOT do facetime..
  • Reply 69 of 103
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Am I the only one that wishes he could turn off multitasking on his iPhone?

It runs slower, the battery life is about 3/4 what it used to be.

And applications behave slightly different upon startup.

And now, I have to go in an kill apps all the time (especially GPS apps).

For the once or twice I've run Pandora while using a GPS app (talk about killing battery life!), I could easily get by without the multitasking. I'd rather have my battery life back and not have to recharge my phone in the middle of the day.

No, you are not the only one. User selected apps to multi-task is my solution. But the fanboys won't permit it
  • Reply 70 of 103
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Well, I guess it depends on whether they're selling enough to make it worthwhile keeping. Let's face it .... for some people it may be all the Apple product they can afford. I'd rather see them own that than nothing Apple, wouldn't you?
  • Reply 71 of 103
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

And why is that, some people like the shuffle as is or with more storage capacity 6-8GB wouldn't be bad with more battery life.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Well, I guess it depends on whether they're selling enough to make it worthwhile keeping. Let's face it .... for some people it may be all the Apple product they can afford. I'd rather see them own that than nothing Apple, wouldn't you?

Or maybe some like the iPod Shuffle as it is. Just load your Tunes and go. Small enough to be out of the way for active people.

• Reply 72 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

I wonder what are the chances that the Back to School deal will cover the new iPod Touch. The opposite circumstance is that Apple immediately discontinues the 32GB third gen iPod Touch that is the minimum I want with the Back to School deal. I'm not sure if I should wait to find out either way.

That will not happen. Apple has released new iPods at the end of the Back to School promo before and the offer will only apply to previous generations. I will give you the title to my house if that changes this year. The deal will stay exactly the same and the only changes you'll see will come at the very end of next May or early June when it all starts again. Sorry to burst your bubble.
  • Reply 73 of 103
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I like the way the Reuters report on this says "may update iPods"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Apple-...&asset=&ccode=

You don't need to be all that smart, or even all that awake to know they definately will update the iPods.

There's never a guarantee.

Evidence suggests that they will. I would bet a lot of money that they will.

But they might not.
  • Reply 74 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

There's never a guarantee.

Evidence suggests that they will. I would bet a lot of money that they will.

But they might not.

True, but if they did not update their iPod line, the market would brutalize the stock as it would be a typically expected update.

To put it bluntly, they would have failed to meet shareholder expectations (i.e., introducing new product to remain competitive).

There is a chance that Apple will not introduce new iPods, but it's pretty much a given. The image in the invitation alludes to a music-related event. It's not like Apple issued a plain-text e-mail. They deliberately chose an image to accompany the message.

That in itself sends a strong implication.
  • Reply 75 of 103
    Quote:

128?? :d

As to the speculation of a 128 gb ipod touch, as iPod capacities grow I find I am less tolerant of having to wait for it to sync the media. I'd rather hold off on 128gb until usb3 arrives.

I will just laugh if the new iPods boast usb3. That would be cool yet would be a not so subtle hint that I need to upgrade my 3 year old Mac. Fat chance, I'm not worried.
  • Reply 76 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Am I the only one that wishes he could turn off multitasking on his iPhone?

No you are not.

You may add my name to the petition.

I like folders. Multitasking, I don't need at all.

One better implementation (IMO) would be for the multitasking (recent apps) bar to only contain apps that are ACTUALLY RUNNING in the background... using CPU/battery.
  • Reply 77 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

but can they top 'free' bbq? lol

http://www.bigandroidbbq.com/

I can think of someone who can:

http://www.3news.co.nz/Man-fined-for...1/Default.aspx
  • Reply 78 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

cmon, if Apple TV is $99. with App Store apps like StreamTome and Air video...who WONT buy it?

Think it will look like an airport express or something you have to look at? It would be very zen to have it be something that already exists, basically, and doesn't even create clutter.

Alternatively, a tiny little thing you can stick to the top of your tv, maybe even power it off the USB port on the back of your tv, would be sweet.
  • Reply 79 of 103
    Quote:

Can't belive no one asked earlier, did gizmodo get an invite?

The way they made their post about it, NO.
  • Reply 80 of 103
    Quote:

Remember last year when there was almost nothing new? Okay, there were cheap video cameras in the Nano. Most of the talk was about what Apple would kill...the Shuffle and the Classic topped everyone's list.

Why? Shuffle is their most affordable Halo effect vector in market.