Steve Jobs isn't convinced new Apple TV will be a mainstream hit

Comments

• Reply 161 of 203
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

The first one flopped and it became a "hobby" item for Apple. Now that the refresh is coming out, Apple continues to say this is a "hobby" item. That way they explain the lackluster sales. They call it a hobby because that allows them to say that they didn't put their full weight behind it and that is why it failed.

It failed because they put their full weight behind it and few people were interested.

I wouldn't call over six million units sold a failure.
  • Reply 162 of 203
    If it runs iOS, then it is designed for a touchscreen interface which it lacks. So as other reports it will use iPad, iPod touch and iPhone as remote controllers basically mirroring on their displays what is on your HDTV plugged into the iTV. Instant Set top gaming device. Plus I would assume the netflix, hulu, Acb etc apps could be shown on the HDTV. Or tv showns bought and streamed from iTunes store. This sounds rather flexible and versatile.

But how would you plug this iOS device into iTunes to back it up or upgrade it or manage the apps you buy for it. Hmm. Interested to find out what is in mind.

So what is iTV then? Is it a $99 iPad video display adapter for your iPad to display the iPad content on the HDTV. Or is it a way to bolster sales of $600 loads, since how useful is a set top gaming box without a controller? The game center update due soon would presumably bolted the itv as a gaming device as well.

Splendidly planned little Eco system that builds.
  • Reply 163 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkn33 View Post

I would be interested in buying a product like this and subscribing to TV content... but if there really is no support for 1080p, I will not buy it.

Well there is no 1080 streaming content available, nor the bandwidth to support it, so not much point really.
  • Reply 164 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sportytoes View Post

If it runs iOS, then it is designed for a touchscreen interface which it lacks. So as other reports it will use iPad, iPod touch and iPhone as remote controllers basically mirroring on their displays what is on your HDTV plugged into the iTV. Instant Set top gaming device. Plus I would assume the netflix, hulu, Acb etc apps could be shown on the HDTV. Or tv showns bought and streamed from iTunes store. This sounds rather flexible and versatile.

But how would you plug this iOS device into iTunes to back it up or upgrade it or manage the apps you buy for it. Hmm. Interested to find out what is in mind.

So what is iTV then? Is it a $99 iPad video display adapter for your iPad to display the iPad content on the HDTV. Or is it a way to bolster sales of $600 loads, since how useful is a set top gaming box without a controller? The game center update due soon would presumably bolted the itv as a gaming device as well.

Splendidly planned little Eco system that builds.

Why would the tv mirror the ipad display? that serves no purpose. The iDevice can act as a remote without having to display exactly what is on the screen. I know of no device remote that works in this way, so don't really follow your logic?
  • Reply 165 of 203
    Don't forget the MacBook air SuperDrive for your apple Eco system so you can also play DVD discs on you itv, controlled from your $600 iPad. So I think that rings the apple register for a, roughly $800 tag. Not bad for them. Coarse this only applies to apple virgins as for many it will just be one more incremental purchase in a string of accumulating kit.
  • Reply 166 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Why would the tv mirror the ipad display? that serves no purpose. The iDevice can act as a remote without having to display exactly what is on the screen. I know of no device remote that works in this way, so don't really follow your logic?

IOS has no pointer. If the remote acted as a trackpad for example, how would you know whAt on the screen you would be manipulating. Just a guess here... As usual Apple would likely surprise us with an entirely new and innovative idea.
  • Reply 167 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Actually, I think most people can tell the difference, given a large screen (>40 inches). 480 or 720 just seems a bit blurry, compared to 1080, unless you have a small screen. I agree that to have AppleTV limited to less than 1080 would be a non-starter for me. Does providing 1080p really run the price of the hardware up that much? Is Apple limiting this for some reason other than cost?

Yes. No one streams 1080 content and there isn't the available bandwidth from most service providers even if the content existed. This request is ahead of its time. And for most people with tv screens under 50 inches irrelevant.
  • Reply 168 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sportytoes View Post

IOS has no pointer. If the remote acted as a trackpad for example, how would you know whAt on the screen you would be manipulating. Just a guess here... As usual Apple would likely surprise us with an entirely new and innovative idea.

It doesn't take a lot of imagination for app developers to design an interface with icons/prompts on the ipad screen to make selections on the big screen. And games would be controlled with accelerometer and gyroscope. Think different?
  • Reply 169 of 203
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

While observing Apple for 32 years, I have never seen them offer any product at a loss... just not in their DNA.

DNA, lol.
  • Reply 170 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I still think the new AppleTV is going to look and work a lot like an AirPort Express for TV.

That's interesting. A souped-up plug with Bluetooth remote and an App Store. Very interesting.
  • Reply 171 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The networks don't want to let Apple walk in and take control of the television and video business like they did with music, so it won't be iTunes that makes iTV, it will be the apps.

If hulu and netflix are available, a ton of content will be available immediately, at a very low cost.

And you think all these apps will get made for iTV with zero resistance?
  • Reply 172 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Well, if SJ would add DVR capabilities to the AppleTV/iTV as some of us have been waiting years and years for, perhaps he'd sell a lot more of them.

You don't to record TV when you have iPTV. That's the point.
  • Reply 173 of 203
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And you think all these apps will get made for iTV with zero resistance?

Are you saying Apple (Steve) would block apps from the likes of those recently announced by HBO and FiOS because they are still being CIRCLE JERKED by those stupid Networks? Yea somehow I think Steve will smile like the grinch on Christmas Eve and say "Oh, come right in HBO & FiOS, have a cigar and a glass of brandy, you're apps are exactly what we're looking for." while messaging his assistant to not accept any more calls from NBC, CBS, FOX and the rest of the network numbskulls... "We don't need to speak with them anymore!"

While some say Apple wants to sell iTunes content... and well yes but it's only a means to an end. He's stated on millions of occasions that the iTunes store is as close to a 'loss leader' as Apple has ever come and it's sole purpose is to encourage the sale of iPods (and now iPhone and soon iTVs).

- An iOS App for Free HBO Streaming to all HBO subscribers!

- An iOS App for FiOS Subscribers to get unfettered access to all the channels they subscribe!

In a pinch I think we can agree that next to selling iTunes content to promote iOS sales those apps above come in as a 'close second', and those will be just the beginning...

- Dish or DirecTV has also stated they are woking on something (I think)

and if FiOS is offering this to iOS based devices then you gotta know that Comcast, TW and Cablevision will be kicked in the ass to offer a similar lOS based service.

And Steve will be happy as a clam!

Suddenly it wouldn't be too strange to speculate about major cable channels doing their own iOS streaming apps... and the networks!?!!?!? $%#(%&* the networks! They'll be just short of worthless once this stuff starts happening and wondering what the hell were they were thing short stroking Steve for 2+ years straight.

Just like Steve said to Eric over coffee a few months back...

Quote:

"They're going to see it all eventually so who cares how they get it."

• Reply 174 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Well, if SJ would add DVR capabilities to the AppleTV/iTV as some of us have been waiting years and years for, perhaps he'd sell a lot more of them. As it is, I'm recording my shows on a Windows 7 Media Center that needs rebooting every few days because it's so unstable. I'd punt it out the door in a heartbeat if Apple offered an off-the-shelf DVR solution. But Steve is being stubborn Steve and still won't provide what the customers want.

I Think a DVR capability would be on the number 1 on the many good ideas for good sales points for a revised Apple Tv/iTV (whatever they want to finally call it) Complete that with point and click episode/movie recording done with Apple finesse, And this thing would sell like hot cakes.

But They should still NOT forget about the Mac Desktop... That would be a BIG downfall for Apple. Now that is something I WOULD NOT like to see.
  • Reply 175 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Are you saying Apple (Steve) would block apps from the likes of those recently announced by HBO and FiOS because they are still being CIRCLE JERKED by those stupid Networks? Yea somehow I think Steve will smile like the grinch on Christmas Eve and say "Oh, come right in HBO & FiOS, have a cigar and a glass of brandy, you're apps are exactly what we're looking for." while messaging his assistant to not accept any more calls from NBC, CBS, FOX and the rest of the network numbskulls... "We don't need to speak with them anymore!"

While some say Apple wants to sell iTunes content... and well yes but it's only a means to an end. He's stated on millions of occasions that the iTunes store is as close to a 'loss leader' as Apple has ever come and it's sole purpose is to encourage the sale of iPods (and now iPhone and soon iTVs).

- An iOS App for Free HBO Streaming to all HBO subscribers!

- An iOS App for FiOS Subscribers to get unfettered access to all the channels they subscribe!

In a pinch I think we can agree that next to selling iTunes content to promote iOS sales those apps above come in as a 'close second', and those will be just the beginning...

- Dish or DirecTV has also stated they are woking on something (I think)

and if FiOS is offering this to iOS based devices then you gotta know that Comcast, TW and Cablevision will be kicked in the ass to offer a similar lOS based service.

And Steve will be happy as a clam!

Suddenly it wouldn't be too strange to speculate about major cable channels doing their own iOS streaming apps... and the networks!?!!?!? $%#(%&* the networks! They'll be just short of worthless once this stuff starts happening and wondering what the hell were they were thing short stroking Steve for 2+ years straight.

Just like Steve said to Eric over coffee a few months back...

It's so cute when someone thinks they're being clever with a long, conversational post!
  • Reply 176 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Agreed. Unfortunately, there's just no reasoning with the masses who already "know" that 1080 is more than 720.

There's not much reason to prefer a 32" 1080 set over 720 for TV viewing--you practically have to sit on it o see the difference--yet many people think the price premium is worth it. Try telling that group they wasted their money.

mmm, Yep. the term "HD" (1080p) is misused in lots of modern LCD or Plasma TV monitors.

BUT, there is some, only SOME content that is shot in full 1080p from the studio. So you do miss a bit of resolution there.

Also, I think that there should be a law stating that "the HD label is NEVER to be used in a product that has a resolution lesser than 1080p"

That is misleading advertising, I have seen it in catalogues, and on the net. DONT be mislead...

1080p is future-proofing yourself, so I would say BUY it. Some of the TV's that are on offer do NOT even have the correct resolution for 720p never mind 1080p. (Well that is here in Australia anyway)

Misleading advertising. HATE IT!
  • Reply 177 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smerch View Post

It's so cute when someone thinks they're being clever with a long, conversational post!

There is nothing WRONG with conversation, unless we have all become robots or telepaths.

iRobots, iTelepaths.

• Reply 178 of 203
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

Okay here's my (latest) spin on this whole concept....

1080p I WANT IT TOO!!!

That being said... I've got a question to all those who are screaming the same song.

Q: Who streams 1080p movies over the internet?

- iTunes (nope)

- Netflix (nope)

- Hulu (lol.. nope)

- Hulu+ (still lol nope)

- Amazon (nope)

Anyone I'm forgetting?

SO what content are YOU going to have that IS 1080p?

- Bitorrent ... 'rentals'

- Ripped Blu-ray movies? (still very much illegal in the US ... luckily for me I've formed my own 2/3 acre country that refuses to recognize the DMCA)

Anything else I'm forgetting?

So yea... I really DO want 1080p (likely for the same reasons as you) but given the points I've made above do you see any justification for offering it from Apples point of view?

Not to be evil or anything, but you are overlooking youtube, which can now do both 1080p, and even 4k (about 4 times the 1080p resolution) While not technically movies, just wanted to put it out there that it is possible.
  • Reply 179 of 203
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The relauunch of the AppleTV/iTV signals the start of an open war with Big Cable, and Apple has to play the same kind of hardball they did with Blu-ray.

That is, go for the jugular.

Apple has to leverage over the air HDTV - make it simple, and accessible somehow - to give people a reason to cut the cable bill entirely.

They need to integrate over-the-air completely with web tv offerings. Fast Company has a great update on the latest web television breakouts.

We all know Apple could create a killer web version of TV Guide.

That's the only way that 99-cent reruns will seem like a bargain, and still keep local news and sports in the mix.
  • Reply 180 of 203
    Quote:

Okay here's my (latest) spin on this whole concept....

1080p I WANT IT TOO!!!

I want 1080 too - to watch the HD movies I've created with my camcorder.

It's a pain to edit and then save back to tape in order to watch a decent 1080 picture.

I bought my Apple TV to watch family HD movies and photo albums. For those two reasons alone, I felt it was worth it. I have a PS3 which I guess can do the same, but it doesn't sync as easily to my Macs.