Netflix app updated to support Apple's iPhone, iPod touch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Netflix on Thursday updated its iOS App Store software, bringing compatibility for iPhone and iPod touch users to stream movies and manage their Instant Watch queue.

The new universal application (iTunes link) is now available for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. The free software allows Netflix customers with unlimited memberships to stream content from their Instant Watch queue.

Users can pick up watching where they left off with a movie or TV show on another device, such as their iPad, TV, or computer. The application also allows users to manage their Netflix queue, but only for Instant Watch. There is not currently a way to manage the queue for mailed discs.

As with on the iPad, the streaming service even works over 3G on the iPhone. The software uses adaptive technology that allows instant switching between Wi-Fi and 3G connections.

Version 1.1 of the Netflix application requires iOS 3.1.3 or later.

Netflix originally released its iPad application when the device was first released in April. At the time, the company promised that it was also working on a version for iPhone and iPod touch users -- a promise that was delivered Thursday.

The movie rental company then showed off the new version of its mobile software at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June, garnering cheers from the audience.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    ransonranson Posts: 69member
    My only complaint is you can't manage your mailer queue via the app. When a friend suggests a movie to me, I immediately pop open PhoneFlix and put it in my queue. I guess I'll just keep using that for mobile queue management.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Glad the app is out. lame that it's one of those not optimized for the Retina display. Kind of inexcusable that the interface icons aren't high res since this is shipping two months after the iPhone 4 release. I can understand all of their movie artwork not yet being optimized but the splash screen and interface? Lame.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post

Glad the app is out. lame that it's one of those not optimized for the Retina display. Kind of inexcusable that the interface icons aren't high res since this is shipping two months after the iPhone 4 release. I can understand all of their movie artwork not yet being optimized but the splash screen and interface? Lame.

Seriously?!

Does it really matter? This is an app to watch movies not look at pretty graphics and icon.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Seriously?!

Does it really matter? This is an app to watch movies not look at pretty graphics and icon.

When you stop being satisfied with mediocrity your world will vastly improve.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Can you output to your tv with this app? I've heard you can do that with the iPad version. Anyone actually tried this?

It is lame that you can't manage your dvd queu. I have a free app (Movieflick I think or something like that) that lets you manage both queues so I don't see how it can be that difficult. Not a deal breaker by any stretch though.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by headshrinker View Post

Can you output to your tv with this app? I've heard you can do that with the iPad version. Anyone actually tried this?

It is lame that you can't manage your dvd queu. I have a free app (Movieflick I think or something like that) that lets you manage both queues so I don't see how it can be that difficult. Not a deal breaker by any stretch though.

You can output Netflix streaming on the iPad, I assume the same will be true for the iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post

How much did you pay for the app?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

How much did you pay for the app?

tree fiddy.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranson View Post

My only complaint is you can't manage your mailer queue via the app. When a friend suggests a movie to me, I immediately pop open PhoneFlix and put it in my queue. I guess I'll just keep using that for mobile queue management.

I thought the same thing. Why would Netflix not want to market the app to their mail-only customers as a way to manage their queue on their iPhone and get them hooked on the Watch Instantly feature?
  • Reply 10 of 33
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Can it buffer an entire show/movie (or multiples) to watch while off-network, for instance during a commercial aircraft flight? That's the only time I'm interested in watching movies on an iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    owlboyowlboy Posts: 37member
    I am really happy to find out it works on my first gen iPod touch!
  • Reply 12 of 33
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    totally cool watched part of my first movie, no problem with 3g

ok i still use another app to deal with my que

BUT why now, they had this for a long time (by rumor)

i think its strategic, that apple will be putting out a streaming system next week to compete

why do the movie companies let netflix do a supscription service and not apple, is it to build up a defense to counter apple

apple must be doing something BIG
  • Reply 13 of 33
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

... why do the movie companies let netflix do a supscription service and not apple, is it to build up a defense to counter apple ...

Because, to deflect antitrust scrutiny and criticism from the public generally, the music industry has painted a picture of Apple having taken over their industry with iTunes. The movie/television/cable companies seem to actually believe this fairy tale, and fear that it will happen to them. In short, a bunch of stupid people who don't really understand what's going on.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Just played a movie over 3G, started with a bunch of Skips, but stable after. One big caveate on iPhone4, the app consumed 75% of the battery after 1 hour of playback. Does not look good for the ability to stream multiple movies or even one full lenght movie without a power connection active...
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Thank you Netflix. I tried streaming on WiFi, worked great. Can't wait to see how it handles 3G.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

When you stop being satisfied with mediocrity your world will vastly improve.

And when you direct your attention to only things of import, yours will do the same.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Kind of off topic but related ...

If you are getting Net Flix pop ups and want rid of them I tracked down two places to opt out, I am not sure which so I used both and they did stop.

http://optmd.com/optout.html

http://www.casalemedia.com/optout/
  • Reply 18 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
  • Reply 19 of 33
    I had installed the ipad version some time ago through a hack and could watch streaming movies on my TV. The new version for iphone does not support this function. Total useless I have gone back to the hacked version.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I quit netflix a couple of years ago.

I signed up again today. Got the woot special Roku for $59 and Netflix is now everywhere. $8.99? Really? Cannot beat this.