Apple looking to improve video quality with advanced sensors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple could improve the quality enhancement features in its video editing software by interpreting a whole range of data acquired from sensors, including the location and temperature where the video was shot.

A new patent application revealed this week, entitled "Video Acquisition with Processing Based on Ancillary Data," describes advanced techniques of processing video and improving picture quality. It describes plugging a camera or mobile device into a computer, which would then read "ancillary data" recorded by something such as an iPhone.

That data could be processed and used to help improve the image quality of the final product. Using the data, the computer could filter and/or blend the images, or use a whole range of other tools, to give even amateur videographers the best picture quality possible.

Features such as image stabilization have long been a feature of Apple's video editing tools, including Final Cut Pro and iMovie '09. But the newly described method would use sensors in a mobile device, like an iPhone, to improve picture quality even further.

The system could detect motion or a change in lighting conditions, and accordingly blend frames from the video to lessen the effect. But it could also employ less traditional methods, such as location and temperature, that could have an effect on picture quality.

"The image sensor and/or other components are subject to temperature outside of predetermined thermal specifications, which can cause some fixed pattern noise in the detected images," the application reads. "Such fixed pattern noise can show up as red and blue pixels at fixed locations that vary between sensors and can be exacerbated in low light and high heat."

The application states that charged-couple device (CCD) sensors provide a relatively high image quality, but are more expensive than complementary metal-oxide semiconductor sensors (CMOS). CMOS sensors also require less power, but produce a lower quality image than CCD sensors, particularly in low lighting.

"The described techniques and systems can be used to enable CMOS sensors to be used in place of relatively expensive CCD sensors, such as to achieve comparable quality from a CMOS sensor as from a CCD sensor," the application reads. "In particular, processing can be performed using software, hardware, or a combination of the two to filter out noise, which is increasingly present as light levels decrease; increase dynamic range; improve the overall image quality and/or color fidelity; and/or perform other image processing."

Revealed by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office this week, the patent application was filed by Apple on May 3 of this year. The invention is credited to Alexei V. Ouzilevski, Fernando Urbina, Brett Bilbrey and Jay Zipnick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Revealed by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office this week, the patent application was filed by Apple on May 3 of this year. The invention is credited to Alexei V. Ouzilevski, Fernando Urbina, Brett Bilbrey and Jay Zipnick.

This is Old News.

The more interesting patent that Steve filed recently wansn't even reported here at AI.

Steve filed a patent that would allow him to brick any of his iPhones that he has detected has ever once been tampered with, including Jailbreaking. So the Jailbreakers will just have a lump of useless chrome and glass in their hands.

That is the greatest thing I ever heard.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/new-...n-iphones/8020

I don't know why AI chose not to report this good news. They usually report every patent application that Steve submits.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Certainly, knowing temperature improves video editing. Supposedly it even has positive impact on bugs of editing software and entire platform.

How about prespiration sensor for the person that makes video?

I smell somewhat different purpose of this.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

This is Old News.

The more interesting patent that Steve filed recently wansn't even reported here at AI.

Steve filed a patent that would allow him to brick any of his iPhones that he has detected has ever once been tampered with, including Jailbreaking. So the Jailbreakers will just have a lump of useless chrome and glass in their hands.

I don't know why AI chose not to report this good news. They usually report every patent application that Steve submits.

yes, just noticed that too.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/0...eking-patent-0

haven't read the patent over but this type of thing chills me just as much or more than what google is doing....
  • Reply 4 of 26
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple could improve the quality enhancement features in its video editing software by interpreting a whole range of data acquired from sensors, including the location and temperature where the video was shot.

_maybe_ I can see how temperature can be used to clean up video, but that's a stretch as the encoding tends to clobber noise into a smudge. How much noise to clean up probably should be a judgement call. I don't know how location can help at all.

Recording motion data for additional processing later might be a good idea.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

haven't read the patent over but this type of thing chills me just as much or more than what google is doing....

The EFF did a real hit job here.

This patent has nothing to do with jailbreaking, but rather theft.

Do you really think that they need to recognize the user's face to determine whether the phone was jailbroken or not? Apple can already tell whether your phone is jailbroken. A simple call home method (the kind Windows has been using since XP) would work equally well too.

And in fact, you know, there already is a phone and technology that can brick itself if you jailbreak it. Its called Motorola's eFuse, and is loaded on the Droid X (yeah, its an 'open' Android phone).

It currently does not brick the phone, but it has the capability (Moto hasn't enabled it) and already prevents you from loading different ROMs.

How come the EFF isn't up in arms against Dr. Sanjay Jha (Motorola CEO) about this?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Not that I disagree with you, but talk about a sensationalist article the EFF has written there.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    FYI, AI actually broke the story on Apple's security-related patent application last week -- we didn't miss it at all. The part about detecting a jailbreak was actually just one small facet of a comprehensive document that we covered here:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ual_users.html

"The handset could also recognize an unauthorized user if they do certain uncharacteristic activities with the phone. Specifically named are hacking, jailbreaking, unlocking, or removing a SIM card."
  • Reply 8 of 26
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nhughes View Post

FYI, AI actually broke the story on Apple's security-related patent application last week -- we didn't miss it at all. The part about detecting a jailbreak was actually just one small facet of a comprehensive document that we covered here:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ual_users.html

"The handset could also recognize an unauthorized user if they do certain uncharacteristic activities with the phone. Specifically named are hacking, jailbreaking, unlocking, or removing a SIM card."

So I am an unauthorized user of I remove my SIM card now?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

maybe, first they want to see your keylogs, voice, where you are, what you have been doing, and then compare it and determine if you are you. this is nothing like the efuse. this is invasion of privacy and plain old 'spying' but in the name of 'protecting' you.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

This is Old News.

Your fears are moot I would assume after the change in the law.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

It was reported here a week ago.

-> Future iPhones, iPads could recognize, adjust for individual users
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

maybe, first they want to see your keylogs, voice, where you are, what you have been doing, and then compare it and determine if you are you. this is nothing like the efuse. this is invasion of privacy and plain old 'spying' but in the name of 'protecting' you.

This is a patent, not a law. Just because it can be done does not mean they would have the legal authority to do something like this. However, if this capability is what makes iPhones attractive to government bodies, then we could foresee more iPhone sales to the government (with us paying for them, of course).
  • Reply 13 of 26
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

I smell somewhat different purpose of this.

Without details of what you "smell" .... your post takes on the same "aroma" .... don't be afraid to share.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Of course Apple would develop and patent something like this. Sure, the patent system is all kinds of whack, but be that as it is, it means playing the game to protect yourself, so patent whatever you can.

Now, what they patented allows them to do all kinds of things to enable absolute lock down and control over the iPhone. This is huuuuugely different from actually implementing any such features and the EFF was way out of line, as is anyone else attacking Apple for this.

Did it ever occur to the EFF that Apple may offer a secure version of the iPhone? Specifically for people who need absolute security (like the CIA, NSA, etc...)? What the patent covers is something that would allow the CIA to do all kinds of things to secure any iPhones given to their agents. Heck, this kind of stuff is exactly what caused all the controversy with Obama using his Blackberry.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Of course Apple would develop and patent something like this. Sure, the patent system is all kinds of whack, but be that as it is, it means playing the game to protect yourself, so patent whatever you can.

Now, what they patented allows them to do all kinds of things to enable absolute lock down and control over the iPhone. This is huuuuugely different from actually implementing any such features and the EFF was way out of line, as is anyone else attacking Apple for this.

Did it ever occur to the EFF that Apple may offer a secure version of the iPhone? Specifically for people who need absolute security (like the CIA, NSA, etc...)? What the patent covers is something that would allow the CIA to do all kinds of things to secure any iPhones given to their agents. Heck, this kind of stuff is exactly what caused all the controversy with Obama using his Blackberry.

'way out of line, as is anyone else attacking apple'. people should be free to voice concerns, comrade.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

'way out of line, as is anyone else attacking apple'. people should be free to voice concerns, comrade.

What he said is: "the EFF was way out of line, as is anyone else attacking Apple for this". .... big difference!

Great job of creative cropping to support your opinion .... even when it doesn't.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Yes if you put some other SIM card.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Yes if you put some other SIM card.

Wait, what's the point of taking out a SIM card if putting in a different SIM card is a sin?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Wait, what's the point of taking out a SIM card if putting in a different SIM card is a sin?

I may want to put it in another phone when my phone's battery ran out. Just a case!
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

What he said is: "the EFF was way out of line, as is anyone else attacking Apple for this". .... big difference!

Great job of creative cropping to support your opinion .... even when it doesn't.

i don't think it matters. it not only rebukes eff but assumes that EVERYONES argument is 'out of line' so long as it takes the 'negative' towards apples patent.

"the EFF was way out of line, as is anyone else attacking Apple for this."

people should be free to voice concerns, comrade.

people aren't 'way out of line' for voicing concerns and have every right to do so. if you don't like it that they are directed at Apple...well...tough stuff.