Apple seeds third Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta with one known issue

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday seeded with developers the third beta of Mac OS X 10.6.5, its latest security and maintenance update for Snow Leopard, with just one known issue.

People familiar with the latest build, reportedly known as 10H531, said the lone issue is associated with VMware. Having it installed can cause USB devices to not work when the Mac is awoken from sleep mode.

Those same people said Apple has asked developers to focus on a few key areas for the latest beta, including iCal, Mail, USB Devices, QuickTime, Time Machine and 3D graphics. The delta update is said to be a 557MB download.

The latest beta comes just a week after the last build was supplied to developers. And the previous, first build arrived only six days before that.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 was released in mid-June, packing fixes for trackpads on Apple's notebook computers, and also addressing issues with Adobe's Creative Suite 3. It also included Safari 5, Apple's latest Web browser.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    that's good, let's hope for less beachballspinning.

Now please make that iTunes a 64bit app...
  • Reply 2 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

that's good, let's hope for less beachballspinning.

Now please make that iTunes a 64bit app...

iTunes is not part of Mac OS X. I expect a 64-bit/Cocoa iTunes X to come next week, but that?s for a different thread.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iTunes is not part of Mac OS X. I expect a 64-bit/Cocoa iTunes X to come next week, but that?s for a different thread.

Just out of curiosity but why would you expect that to happen?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Just out of curiosity but why would you expect that to happen?

Apple has been trying to remove Carbon from all their apps. The more complex the app the harder this is. iTunes will be Cocoa and therefore will be 64-bit. Based on the amount of time that has passed and the remaining apps that have yet to be converted I think this year is the year we?ll see that change.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:

Apple has been trying to remove Carbon from all their apps. The more complex the app the harder this is. iTunes will be Cocoa and therefore will be 64-bit. Based on the amount of time that has passed and the remaining apps that have yet to be converted I think this year is the year we?ll see that change.

OK, but then why haven't they made other apps (like grapher or chess) Cocoa. Not to mention that Cocoa-ising iTunes is going to be problematic for Windows users. Sorry, I don't see that idea as evidence especially since it has been rumored for awhile and never delivered for several update cycles.

Not that I don't want to see it myself, but nothing I have read suggests that Apple is even doing this.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Not to mention that Cocoa-ising iTunes is going to be problematic for Windows users.

• Reply 7 of 22
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I'm wondering if this version is the pre-cursor to Xcode 4.0. Xcode 4.0 would definitely benefit from OS bug fixes et al.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

OK, but then why haven't they made other apps (like grapher or chess) Cocoa. Not to mention that Cocoa-ising iTunes is going to be problematic for Windows users. Sorry, I don't see that idea as evidence especially since it has been rumored for awhile and never delivered for several update cycles.

Not that I don't want to see it myself, but nothing I have read suggests that Apple is even doing this.

1) Chess is 64-bit on my build of SL.

2) If all SL apps aren?t converted to Cocoa by now that means that they have no plans to convert their other apps?

3) If iTunes hasn?t been converted to Cocoa by now that means they have no intention of ever doing it?

4) I can assure that Apple will be moving iTunes away from Carbon. I don?t know when, nor have prognosticated a definite time, merely what I know to be true from deduction and what I think is most likely based given other trends. You can disagree with me on the when, but it?s silly to suggest that Apple has no plans for this because you have seen nothing to suggest it?s true.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    The question I have is how might this relate to the September 1st "event"?

While rumors are taking about an iTV that is based on iOS would Apple update anything else (like AppleTV) that would be OS X, or maybe start integration of the two at a casual level?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Why do we keep reporting on these developer seeds of 10.6.x upgrades. I mean, if there was some awesome feature coming, I would understand. But Apple is doing a ton more than just OS X. I think these updates to developers should be page 2 news from here on.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post

Why do we keep reporting on these developer seeds of 10.6.x upgrades

Pageviews.

It does seem a little silly since only Mac developers have access to these beta seeds, but apparently AI thinks of these releases to merit putting on the front page.

Don't like it? You don't have to read these posts and you certainly don't have to comment on them.

• Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Thursday seeded with developers the third beta of Mac OS 10.6.5

Will the final release also be released with developers?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Pageviews.

It does seem a little silly since only Mac developers have access to these beta seeds, but apparently AI thinks of these releases to merit putting on the front page.

Don't like it? You don't have to read these posts and you certainly don't have to comment on them.

Just like all of the other sites such as 9to5mac, Macrumors, etc...
  • Reply 14 of 22
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

1) Chess is 64-bit on my build of SL.

2) If all SL apps aren?t converted to Cocoa by now that means that they have no plans to convert their other apps?

3) If iTunes hasn?t been converted to Cocoa by now that means they have no intention of ever doing it?

4) I can assure that Apple will be moving iTunes away from Carbon. I don?t know when, nor have prognosticated a definite time, merely what I know to be true from deduction and what I think is most likely based given other trends. You can disagree with me on the when, but it?s silly to suggest that Apple has no plans for this because you have seen nothing to suggest it?s true.

Actually, that's more like inductive logic. It would be equally valid to suggest what the OP originally positing.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Actually, that's more like inductive logic. It would be equally valid to suggest what the OP originally positing.

Seriously? Because iTunes is still Carbon (as are all the other large Apple apps that predate the change) that we should never expect them to change it? That doesn't make any sense to me. I think they are rewriting it in Cocoa along with all the other apps they wish to keep.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    10.6.4 didn't fix my girlfriend's 2009 MacBook Pro trackpad issues (unresponsiveness of the trackpad for about 30 seconds after waking from sleep).
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

10.6.4 didn't fix my girlfriend's 2009 MacBook Pro trackpad issues (unresponsiveness of the trackpad for about 30 seconds after waking from sleep).

Is it still under warranty? If so, I'd call up Apple or go into an Apple Store to get it fixed. If not, I'd post your issue on MacOSXHints.com and see what the responders have to say. I'd go into some basic troubleshooting steps but this isn't the thread for that knowing you're posts I assume you've at least ran through the SW fixes.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    "Awoken"? In English, the word is "awakened."
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

"Awoken"? In English, the word is "awakened."

Awoken is the past participle of awake. You can look it up. You can also look up plenty of people asking questions that are inline with your statement and being told that both are acceptable if used correctly.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Meanwhile, in Ironyland:

Quote:

For example, although Mac OS X has been shipping for almost 10 years now, Adobe just adopted it fully (Cocoa) two weeks ago when they shipped CS5. Adobe was the last major third party developer to fully adopt Mac OS X.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

So with all the Carbon-based apps they still ship, I guess Apple hasn't yet adopted OS X.