Apple fixes freezing issue with firmware update for 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pros

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released an EFI firmware update for 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro mid 2010 models that fixes a freezing or stalling problem.

According to Apple, EFI Firmware Update 1.9, which requires Mac OS X 10.6.4, "resolves a rare issue that may cause the system to freeze during startup or intermittently stall during operation." The update, which is a 2.16MB download, also improves external display compatibility.

Issues with stalling and external displays on the mid 2010 Macbook Pros had been acknowledged in Apple Support articles.

The most recent revision to the MacBook Pro line came in April.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    One of the reasons that I usually wait until the bugs are worked out before buying something new. Fortunately this is a simple fix.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

One of the reasons that I usually wait until the bugs are worked out before buying something new. Fortunately this is a simple fix.

Just applied it to my 15" MBP i7. Here's how it went down: Used software update. It downloaded the files and put up a warning about what was going to happen. I restarted. It installed the other updates (didn't notice what) and then the screen went black and the computer made a 2 second beep. Then I got a gray screen and a progress bar as the warning stated for the EFI update. Once that was done the computer finished restarting. The fan immediately came on full blast because apparently during this process the fan did not run and the CPU ran at full power. The bottom of the computer was very very hot. Good thing I don't have a cheap vinyl sofa, it would have melted.

I'll let you know if this fixed the issues. I did not experience the startup freezes, but I was seeing regular beach balls many times a day. They last a few seconds during which nothing works. There is a huge thread here that chronicles the issue. Some people have had their hard drives replaced which fixed the problem for most. I had not gotten around to dragging myself to the Apple store, so maybe this will save me the hassle.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I will never again install an EFI update on an Apple product.

Been hosed 3 times now. G5, Mac Pro and Macbook Pro.

There's always something that goes wrong and kicks the fans on full blast when they don't need to be.

My $.02
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I was having the freeze/stall problem on my 2010 MBP about once a week. After the 10.6.4 update, I haven't had a single one. So I doubt I'll try this update. Anyone else in the same boat?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I have been waiting for this since I bought the 15". Though the stalling was less frequent, once in 2 days for 2 seconds, it doesn't bore well for the expectation that comes with Apple purchase.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

I will never again install an EFI update on an Apple product.

Been hosed 3 times now. G5, Mac Pro and Macbook Pro.

There's always something that goes wrong and kicks the fans on full blast when they don't need to be.

My $.02

I am also going to wait a week before this update. My last Macbook Pro had it's Superdrive destroyed by an EFI (which was cancelled by apple within 24 hours of its release followed by agressive forum trimming to make it seem like it never happened), and about a year after that, another EFI (which was supposed to deal with some display issues) resulted in USB power issues where previously functioning drives and peripherals started popping in an out due to unstable power levels...
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

I am also going to wait a week before this update. My last Macbook Pro had it's Superdrive destroyed by an EFI (which was cancelled by apple within 24 hours of its release followed by agressive forum trimming to make it seem like it never happened), and about a year after that, another EFI (which was supposed to deal with some display issues) resulted in USB power issues where previously functioning drives and peripherals started popping in an out due to unstable power levels...

I think I'll take your advice. I was about to install it until I read down to your post.

I've only experienced the stall during reboots after a couple of Apple software updates
  • Reply 8 of 16
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Thursday released an EFI firmware update for 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro mid 2010 models that fixes a freezing or stalling problem.

According to Apple, EFI Firmware Update 1.9, which requires Mac OS X 10.6.4, "resolves a rare issue that may cause the system to freeze during startup or intermittently stall during operation." The update, which is a 2.16MB download, also improves external display compatibility.

Issues with stalling and external displays on the mid 2010 Macbook Pros had been acknowledged in Apple Support articles.

The most recent revision to the MacBook Pro line came in April.

I had the issue on day two on my brand new MacBook Pro 2010, and again got it last week. Not very funny.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

I had the issue on day two on my brand new MacBook Pro 2010, and again got it last week. Not very funny.

Uh oh. I just bought a brand new one last night to replace my 4 year old one. I ran software update and there were a ton of updates, which I expected on a new machine. I didn't pay attention to what was being applied. Hopefully I won't have this issue.

Fingers crossed.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Finally Apple acknowlege this problem but....

I've had this problem since I got my MacBook Pro with external 24" Mac screen. frequent random freezes that last for 10-20second or even longer, also weird flashing on the monitor. In the last week the external monitor started flashing off then on again like it was resetting quite frequently. So I was really excited to finally see a solution as I've been on to apple care a number of time about this issue. but the genius' didn't seem to know anything about it "have you restarted your computer sir?" yes of course I've restarted my computer!. Anyway the firmware update is not available for my model!!! ie. MacBookPro5,4 aarrrggghhhh!!!

Is it likely there are more firmware updates in the pipeline?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    That's exactly when I got my first stall: during restart after downloading a mess of updates, including a security update, on my then brand-new MacBook Pro
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I have a 15-inch i7 MBP. I previously had problem when connecting to my external monitor, the system sometimes froze with monitor flashing. I also saw slow response when many applications were open.

I ran the EFI update with iWork update at the same time, and the whole process went very smoothly. I don't have a way to verify whether it fixed the freezing issue with my external monitor, but I do feel it's much more responsive with multiple applications are on, especially with VMware Fusion running.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    So far so good . . .

i used the computer last night for several hours after the update - no hangs no beachballs.

Wifey has been using it today and has had no issues.

I'm more happier now.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Another reason to wait: I've copied this last post from the aforementioned link kindly posted by WelshDog:

DO NOT INSTALL THE EFI UPDATE!!!!

...as for me all has gotten worse than ever!! ...had the i7 in service, they changed the HDD, nothing happened. had the beachballing since the beginning, appr.30sec every time - now with the update, hanging is on every 5 minutes when working with acrobat, photoshop, mail, chrome etc. (will say, wenn doing things more like just surfing around, but i guess it will hang also when only surfing.)

What i especially noticed is that the stalls start in one application and then stack up with the finder and few seconds later with every other app. since then i have to wait AT MINIMUM 30sek, then all commands i did and stacked "in queue" are done in a one second roush through.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Uh oh. I just bought a brand new one last night to replace my 4 year old one. I ran software update and there were a ton of updates, which I expected on a new machine. I didn't pay attention to what was being applied. Hopefully I won't have this issue.

Fingers crossed.

You'll be ok. We had a new MacBook Pro arrive today and did the updates, There were no EFi firmware updates in that list so it's likely not applicable to your model.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I just updated a 17" i5 last night and the only thing I noticed was after installing the updates it took more than 15 minutes for the machine to shut down and restart. I watch the blue screen with spinning icon with angst but figured as long as the icon's spinning it must be doing something. Sure enough it restarted, beeped, installed the firmware update, restarted again and all was well. Wasn't noticing any problems before anyway.