Bush: Less Principled Than Clinton?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ouch! BRussell's loving this topic header but I have to say, as far as this issue goes I agree. This is a bad decision.

(Tariffs, now that's a spine-tingler of a subject. I predict that this thread will quickly drop to the bottom of the page with less than 5 replies. )

<a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A51906-2002Mar6.html"; target="_blank">Bending For Steel</a>

By George F. Will

Thursday, March 7, 2002; Page A21

[quote]Proving himself less principled than Bill Clinton regarding the free-trade principles that are indispensable to world prosperity and comity, President Bush has done what Clinton refused to do. In the name of providing "breathing space" for the U.S. steel industry, which has been on the respirator of protection for decades, Bush has cooked up an unpalatable confection of tariffs and import quotas that mock his free-trade rhetoric.

Do not read his lips, read his actions, which will incite protectionist clamors from other industries (timber and textiles, for starters) and invite retaliation from penalized nations. Bush's measures probably will neither force nor facilitate the restructuring the industry needs. Economically indefensible, these measures will destroy perhaps 10 jobs in the steel-consuming sector of American manufacturing for every steel-making job they save. Some manufacturers will move out of the country to avoid the tariffs...<hr></blockquote>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    I guess this is the second time he's done this. Tried to spilt the issue. Stem Cells before and now steel. He seems to try to cut these political hot potatoes in half.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Why doesn't he really put a spin on things and legalize to production of hemp? Not the kind you smoke but the kind you grow and produce a miriad of products. From paper to clothing to almost anything.

This "law" is over 70 years old and should be repealed. Imagine the companies (even the lagging tobacco companies) who would jump at the chance. Including other small farmers and producers too.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I hope we get taken to the WTO over this and get spanked like naughty schoolchildren.

Bad move, Dubya.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i thought there was evidence that Asian steel makers were dumping steel in the U.S. below cost, an illegal procedure.

i also thought that the tarrifs didn't effect canadians or mexicans.

if foreign steel makers are dumping steel into this country at below cost, i think that the president or whoever else is in charge has the duty to impose tarrifs.

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    steel industry in europe in the seventies where old and improductive, a very important crisis arrive, there where many jobs loss, but the steel industry reborn. Now she is more productive and is competitive.

I've heard but i don't know if it true, that the Steel industry in US is not in a very good shape. If it is true, it will be better that she evolve even at the cost of some jobs to be competitive again. I know the aluminium industry better because my father work in this aera and have sold some machines in arkansas ( a certain Bill Clinton inaugurate the Reynold's plant at this time). That's why i went in Arkansas when i was 14 and i hear of the speciality meal : the catfish. I remember also at this time that one of the favorite joke in spectacles was to ask if there where people coming from the same state than Carter, nobody ever replie or they get conspued. It was in 1980.

I've heard also (correct me if it is wrong) that Bush did this for inside politics, because there will be soon some elections there in US for the congress.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    [quote]That's why i went in Arkansas when i was 14 and i hear of the speciality meal : the catfish.<hr></blockquote>

Catfish is awesome, did you eat any?

[quote]I remember also at this time that one of the favorite joke in spectacles was to ask if there where people coming from the same state than Carter, nobody ever replie or they get conspued.<hr></blockquote>

I assume Carter = Jimmy Carter... other than that, I have no clue what that sentence means.

"Joke in spectacles"?

"conspued"?

[quote]I've heard also (correct me if it is wrong) that Bush did this for inside politics, because there will be soon some elections there in US for the congress.<hr></blockquote>

Absolutely, that's how politicians work.

The steel states were "swing" states for the Republicans during the '00 elections. (A "swing" state is a state that could potentially go either way in the voting.)
  • Reply 7 of 23
    unfortunately i did not eat catfish, my parents did not bring me at the restaurant who cook this meal.

Carter : Jimmy Carter. I was in a show, in Durango Colorado, one of the showman asked to the crowd, where do you come from, is there german ?

- yes we are

- is there is people from texas here ?

- yes

- congratulations

- is there people from georgia here ?

- no answer

- is there somebody sell peanuts around here ?

- laughs;

That's all i remember but it was 22 years ago (i was in USA before you where born

and for the politics , they are all the same, ready to do many things in order to obtain a few votes ...French election for the President and then the Deputy are coming, and are boring . No french candidate for the Presidence worth a vote. . I don't understand why in a countrie of 60 millions of habitant we canno't find better candidate ?

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: powerdoc ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 23
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    This is from an European perspective: Like Powerdoc said the steel industry in the 70s was old and inefficient. When they started rebuilding it it was very expensive but was done without any protection from import or subsidies. Result: It lost a lot of money in the period until it had modernized itself.

Now its the american steel industry that is in for modernization but unlike in Europe Bush is protecting it until its rebuild.

Result: European steel industry pay both for its own and the US modernization.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    [quote]unfortunately i did not eat catfish, my parents did not bring me at the restaurant who cook this meal.<hr></blockquote>

If you ever come to Texas, I'll set you up with the best catfish around.

Catfish: Eek, I have been conspued!

groverat & powerdoc: You will be our dinner!

Catfish: Oh no! I am truly a joke in spectacles now!

[quote]That's all i remember but it was 22 years ago (i was in USA before you where born<hr></blockquote>

And I haven't even been to France, such the upper hand on me you have!

[quote]No french candidate for the Presidence worth a vote. . I don't understand why in a countrie of 60 millions of habitant we canno't find better candidate ?<hr></blockquote>

Millions of Americans had the exact same problem during the 2000 presidential elections.

Anders:

You are dead-on in your assessment.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    This fish has a sympathic face, especially the mustaches, but two, to eat a such big animal isn't it too much ?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Perhaps it looks nice, but catfish are mean fish. I have been bitten by them before, especially when I was very young.

[quote]but two, to eat a such big animal isn't it too much ?<hr></blockquote>

Everything is bigger in Texas, especially the meals!

You can take the left-over meat home to France and impress your neighbors with the tale of eating a whiskered-fish with a Texan.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Perhaps it looks nice, but catfish are mean fish. I have been bitten by them before, especially when I was very young.

Everything is bigger in Texas, especially the meals!

You can take the left-over meat home to France and impress your neighbors with the tale of eating a whiskered-fish with a Texan.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes this fish is very dangerous, now, i understand why you ask Anders to swim with this fish

Futhermore, i would be proud to eat a catfish with a Texan, but you will certainly have a stronger appetite than mine (if i believe what you wrote in a previous post) I only weight 200 pounds

Last point the author of this thread must be certainly happy, because his thread is still at the top with the help of a catfish.

It's time now for me to go to bed. Have a good day.

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: powerdoc ]

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: powerdoc ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by roger_ramjet:

<strong>Ouch! BRussell's loving this topic header but I have to say, as far as this issue goes I agree. This is a bad decision.</strong><hr></blockquote>BRussell, suddenly filled with existential doubt about his entire online existence, stutters and stammers, and finally says:

Hey, don't be mean to my man like that! He's just fulfilling a campaign promise!

• Reply 14 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    "Mr. Bush, let me introduce you to my friends, Messrs. Smoot and Hawley. I think you'll have a lot in common."
  • Reply 15 of 23
    I wouldn't go so far as to say he's less principled than Clinton... he hasn't lied in court yet.

(yet)

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 23
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    That's a nice picture of that catifsh, Groverat. I never imagined it was so big and scary looking. It doesn't look the least bit frightening when I buy it at the supermarket.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Ugggggg. I'm glad I didn't vote for that fool.

Of course, I didn't vote for Gore either, who I'm guessing would have done the same thing.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>BRussell, suddenly filled with existential doubt about his entire online existence, stutters and stammers, and finally says:

Hey, don't be mean to my man like that! He's just fulfilling a campaign promise!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I almost passed this thread by until I saw that roger_rightwing ( ) posted it. I must say that I never really followed these developments, but it seems to me to be politics as usual.

I'm glad I voted for Nader I actually didn't care that there was no way he would win, I just wanted the 5% of the popular vote so that the next election would be less of "lesser of 2 evils" thing. Of course, it didn't happen. I hate politics.

[edit: I forgot to mention that I am from Georgia (Carter's state) and that I knew that vote for anyone but Nader would have been a throw-away. Bush won the election down here before it even started... Stupid electoral system but that's a topic for another thread...]

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 23
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    he he, i was in Madison at the time. i think Madison WI was one of the highest, if not the highest turnout for Nadar. i really didn't mind Nadar, he's a smart guy, and i don't think he's sold out, but he has some conflicting ideas as to how things work.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 20 of 23
    You Naderites need to get a clue. This decision by Bush would be celebrated by you, if you knew what your guy stands for. You obviously don't. Nader is as solidly protectionist as Pat Buchanan. <a href="http://www.time.com/time/community/transcripts/1999/112899buchanan-nader.html"; target="_blank">Here's</a> a transcript of an online conversation they had back in 1999 about the WTO.