Rumors of 7-inch iPad persist; Apple parts with developer of tablets

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Another report has claimed Apple plans to build a smaller, 7-inch iPad, and the company has severed ties with a California design firm after nearly a decade, because the company publicly showed off its own iPad-competing tablet prototype.

Samsung hopes to compete with 'mini iPad'

Taiwan-based tech industry publication DigiTimes reported Friday that Samsung plans to unveil its new tablet PC in September. The report said that Samsung decided it would not make a 10-inch model, to compete with Apple's 9.7-inch iPad, but would instead release a device with a 7-inch display.

That size, sources allegedly indicated, was chosen to compete with a 7-inch "mini iPad" that Apple is rumored to release.

"Since Samsung skipped the 10-inch panel format and jumped directly to 7-inch panel, the sources believe the company is actually aiming at Apple's upcoming 7-inch iPad for competition and not the current model," the report said.

The publication has repeatedly said that Apple plans to offer a new, smaller iPad with a screen size of 7 inches, and other reports have indicated the same. Earlier this month, the Chinese-language newspaper Economic Daily News indicated that the device would have a weight of 500 grams, reduced from the current hardware's 700 grams.

Apple severs ties with developer of tablets

Surface Ink, a small design firm based in Silicon Valley, has lost Apple as a customer, according to The New York Times, after the company publicly showed off a 12.1-inch tablet prototype. The company's relationship with Apple is unknown, but SurfaceInk indicated that the parties had "gone in separate directions."

Apple decided to move on, the report said, because SurfaceInk's latest business moves apparently "unsettled" the iPad maker. It indicated that SurfaceInk's showing of a 12.1-inch tablet prototype in June at an electronics trade show was enough to shoo Apple away.

"The device was meant to showcase SurfaceInk's design capabilities to potential clients... (but) Apple viewed those capabilities as a potential threat," the report said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Now they're REALLY small.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Surface Ink, a small design firm based in Silicon Valley, has lost Apple as a customer, according to The New York Times, after teh company publicly showed off a 12.1-inch tablet prototype. The company's relationship with Apple is unknown, but SurfaceInk indicated that the parties had "gone in separate directions."

Apple decided to move on, the report said, because SurfaceInk's latest business moves apparently "unsettled" the iPad maker. It indicated that SurfaceInk's showing of a 12.1-inch tablet prototype in June at an electronics trade show was enough to shoo Apple away.

"The device was meant to showcase SurfaceInk's design capabilities to potential clients... (but) Apple viewed those capabilities as a potential threat," the report said.

OOPS!

"It didn't mean anything honey. I swear. I just f#%ked her. I love you. Please take me back"
  • Reply 3 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Now they're REALLY small.

maybe MS has thrown money at them?
  • Reply 4 of 71
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    This insinuates that one division of Samsung shares Apple information with another (also suggested here: http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100819101200). Isn't that illegal?
  • Reply 5 of 71
    What I want to know is if the 7-inch model would be replacing the existing iPad or just supplementing it. If it's a replacement that's one thing, and makes plenty of sense even though I'd be a bit ticked off about the decreased size (but increased resolution might be very nice if a 7-inch screen means they can reach Retina Screen resolution or 720p or something).

Because if it's SUPPLEMENTING the existing iPad, presumably at a cheaper price point, then Apple's pricing system, between the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and iPad Lite (?) is going to start getting seriously crowded around the $299-$499 area. Probably TOO crowded.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    Now don't tell Apple is being arrogant. Not now. huh
  • Reply 7 of 71
    I still don't buy the 7" rumour. Not yet anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Now don't tell Apple is being arrogant. Not now. huh

Not arrogant... 'serious'.
  • Reply 9 of 71
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    It's just a medium-sized iPod Touch
  • Reply 10 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

This insinuates that one division of Samsung shares Apple information with another (also suggested here: http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100819101200). Isn't that illegal?

I didn't give much credence to this thing being a rip of the iPad until I saw some of the profile pics. Replace the Samsung labels with Apple logos and I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't mistake this thing for a 7" iPad.

I understand people can only stray so far from Apple's design and still be sleek, but this is just a shameless knock off.

For everyone talking about this thing blowing iPad out of the water, with iOS 4 for iPad coming in November and possible launch of new 10" and 7" iPads the galaxy is going to have a short lived lead if it ever achieves any at all.
  • Reply 11 of 71
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I still don't buy the 7" rumour. Not yet anyway.

I still think it's a year away. It's too soon after the original iPad was released. Apple will milk the current model for all it's worth, including selling to those who would prefer a smaller version. Then they'll release a smaller version and get those people to buy again.

I also don't think it will happen until after the iPhone is released on other carriers in the US. That will diminish the importance of the iPod touch since you'll be able to get an iPhone on your preferred carrier, allowing Apple to use a smaller screen. Then the touch will settle down into a slightly lower tier than currently making room for a 7 inch iPad.

I picture a year from now:

- shuffle with a tiny touch screen for controls (this coming next month)

- the touch with a smaller screen takes position where the nano is now (next year's revision, this year will be the same size as the iPhone)

- the nano becomes the high-capacity iPod with old school controls, like today's hard drive based classic which will be discontinued next month, keep the dated (ie, inexpensive) design to be able to up the capacity with more flash

- 7" iPad mini

- 9.7" iPad
  • Reply 12 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Not arrogant... 'serious'.

'Serious' about competition perhaps!
  • Reply 13 of 71
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I didn't give much credence to this thing being a rip of the iPad until I saw some of the profile pics. Replace the Samsung labels with Apple logos and I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't mistake this thing for a 7" iPad.

I understand people can only stray so far from Apple's design and still be sleek, but this is just a shameless knock off.

For everyone talking about this thing blowing iPad out of the water, with iOS 4 for iPad coming in November and possible launch of new 10" and 7" iPads the galaxy is going to have a short lived lead if it ever achieves any at all.

Have you not seen the S(h)am(eless)sung Galaxy? That is a pretty shameless knockoff of the 3GS.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Maybe Apple should just buy SurfaceInk..
  • Reply 15 of 71
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    More likely to see slightly larger iPod Touch than smaller iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

OOPS!

"It didn't mean anything honey. I swear. I just f#%ked her. I love you. Please take me back"

No! Take all yo sh** out my da** house! If I come home and find your punk a** I swear I'm going to catch a murder rap!

LOL!
  • Reply 17 of 71
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Maybe this is iTV?
  • Reply 18 of 71
    Can any of the developers here comment on when all the different options/screen sizes/resolutions starts to become a pain in the tits from a development standpoint?

I believe that there is not too much difficulty in porting from iPhone 4 to iPad (or vice versa) since the resolutions are the same (have I got that right), but if another screen size comes in, does it start to be a bother?

Also, when will developing for the older iPhone hardware cease to be worthwhile?
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

'Serious' about competition perhaps!

Seriousness of purpose is the first step to being a competitor. If you're not serious, stay off the field.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

You ain't lying. Hey I like competition but does Samsung really give a fu** about the consumer? Do they have stores where there are people willing to help with all you questions? No! And a little more, no!

You'll find that Samsung Galaxy crap in Best Buy with the dust bunnies sitting on some dirty display case.

I got the ipad 16 gig with wifi+3G last week. Yeah!!!!!

I downloaded Pages last Friday and I got Number this morning. Does Samsung have anything like that?

HELLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My iphone 4 case is arriving on the 31 of August through that program. Yeah!

And the Apple ipad case is freaking sweet and the quality is beyond reproach. Yeah!

Samsung can go..................

YEAH!!!!