Apple expanding iAd creative agency staff

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After acquiring Quattro Wireless and converting its conventional mobile ad banner network into the immersive, app-embedded iAd experience, Apple appears set to expand its creative staff in new job postings.

The move positions Apple as not just a broker of mobile advertising, but also as a creative ad agency itself. The company's job postings, for craft and conceptual Art Directors, will join its "iAd Creative & Strategy team" based in New York City.

The conceptual position "requires a proven track record of digital design, particularly in the marketing of major brands; a strong knowledge of interactive creative development processes; and experience developing creative solutions with a relatively high level of autonomy."

Apple asks applicants for the proven ability to "develop innovative and on-strategy concepts and designs which are highly resolved from a formal perspective, and which meet the objectives of the assignment," "to solve problems conceptually in collaboration with the broader interactive team, including writers, other designers and information architects," and the "ability to art direct photographers, illustrators or motion artists as necessary."

The position also asks for "excellent skills with design software used in the design process, including, but not limited to, [Adobe] ]Illustrator and Photoshop," along with "proficiency in [Adobe] CS4/5 application Suite and [Apple] Keynote."

The scope of duties listed for the position include the ability to "co-develop, manage and oversee all visual/aesthetic design related to branded iAd executions," to "contribute to ongoing conceptualizing, generating and bringing to bear, brilliant and beautiful ideas," and to "demonstrate conceptual as well as strategic thinking, and be responsible for consistently sophisticated design."

Apple also notes the position will "serve as point of collaboration for agencies; kickoffs, concept cogency, design reviews, etc," indicating that the company doesn't plan to entirely take over the role of ad agencies it works with. The company also asks that the applicant can "ensure Apple design and communications ethos are well represented and carried forward in each and every iAd."

A secondary craft job position is also listed as someone who "creates and executes content and interface assets under the limited direction of a Creative Director."

Apple also has open job positions for iAd traffic managers "responsible for configuring, monitoring, analyzing and optimizing advertiser and publisher activity on the iAd network" in both Los Angeles and New York; a corporate counsel position "focused on providing legal support for all marketing, advertising, and privacy issues," an iAd project manager, a network analyst to "publish regular inventory reports to advertising and publishing teams" and a global iAd sales finance position "responsible for driving financial performance in Apple's dynamic iAd business" (all located in Santa Clara); and an European account manager position based in London.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Hmm so iAds in UK/US but no Canada .

Good to see iAds growing though.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamsburnred View Post

Hmm so iAds in UK/US but no Canada .

Good to see iAds growing though.

Canada is most likely covered by the US. UK has about double the population of canada, so is more important.

Edit: more important for ad revenues that is.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I?m glad to see some growth here. I wonder how well it?s actually doing or how it takes for these endeavors to show if they will be successful or not.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Edit: more important for ad revenues that is.

I hate that we have to qualify such statements because you know someone will use that to start an argument. \

PS: Unrelated and off topic, but Dropbox is also hiring.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?m glad to see some growth here. I wonder how well it?s actually doing or how it takes for these endeavors to show if they will be successful or not.

I hate that we have to qualify such statements because you know someone will use that to start an argument. \

PS: Unrelated and off topic, but Dropbox is also hiring.

He was right to qualify it given that Canada is the U.S.'s largest trading partner by far. That said, until recently a great deal of Apple's in-store signage for all of its North American stores was produced in California. Those productions have now moved, likely to either a NY based agency with the ability to ship world-wide, or to a U.K. based Agency with similar capabilities.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Great advertising is more art than science as the best of the best presents new ideas to consumers in exciting new ways they haven't been presented before. Does anyone seriously think we'll be seeing an iAd for 7-11 Slurpees or Hair Club for Men anytime soon? I can't see it, but at some point iAds will have to take on the crap work also when they need to keep the employees fat and happy.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    It seems to me that Apple sustaining this complete control over the ad content is going get difficult as the program grows. They will eventually need to let it out to the mainstream advertising community so that regular creatives, who are already familiar with the brand, can work on the ads. It is just counterproductive to have to reinvent the wheel every time.

It should be easier to teach the existing creatives/developers the requirements of the code behind iAd than it would be to teach new creatives in some distant office the nuances of the brand identity and the marketing message of the campaign. There needs to be consistency with the rest of the company's collateral.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

He was right to qualify it given that Canada is the U.S.'s largest trading partner by far.

And without his edit it would have been unknown to the reader that his use of ?more important? was referring to ad revenue?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Great advertising is more art than science as the best of the best presents new ideas to consumers in exciting new ways they haven't been presented before. Does anyone seriously think we'll be seeing an iAd for 7-11 Slurpees or Hair Club for Men anytime soon? I can't see it, but at some point iAds will have to take on the crap work also when they need to keep the employees fat and happy.

I can see it for 7-11. I think a large convenience store chain with deep pockets could find iAds a good way to generate business. For example, they could have an ad that comes with a coupon code in it. Or, since these are generated from a server, they could have short term deals that get pushed to all devices that are accessing the ad during a set timeframe (perhaps even with a countdown timer), which could also may generate word of mouth to get your butt to a 7-11 for a Big Bite and Slurpee.

Actually, I think I’ll go get me a Slurpee. Damn you, Spam!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

I can see it for 7-11. I think a large convenience store chain with deep pockets could find iAds a good way to generate business. For example, they could have an ad that comes with a coupon code in it. Or, sense these are generated from a server, short term deals that get pushed to all devices that are accessing the ad during a set time (perhaps even with a countdown timer), which could also may generate word of mouth to get your butt to a 7-11 for a Big Bite and Slurpee.

Actually, I think I?ll go et me a Slurpee. Damn you, Spam!

Hee, hee!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

I can see it for 7-11. I think a large convenience store chain with deep pockets could find iAds a good way to generate business. For example, they could have an ad that comes with a coupon code in it. Or, since these are generated from a server, they could have short term deals that get pushed to all devices that are accessing the ad during a set timeframe (perhaps even with a countdown timer), which could also may generate word of mouth to get your butt to a 7-11 for a Big Bite and Slurpee.

Actually, I think I?ll go get me a Slurpee. Damn you, Spam!

Quote:

Hee, hee!

So APPLE is now directly attacking googles only real money maker >> ?? ADS??

My god the battle of the century is heating up !!!

• Reply 11 of 17
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

It's awesome brucep. Not only is Apple getting into mobile advertising they're actually going to be an agency of sorts! Rather than the Google do-whatever-the-f*k-ads-you-want-boring-text-bollocks, iAds should be hopefully at least of a certain class. Or at worst, mobile advertising won't suck as much.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

...but at some point iAds will have to take on the crap work also when they need to keep the employees fat and happy.

Well, at least we'll have a few good years (or year) before everyone desperately jumps onboard and iAd standards start going, uh, down. But at worst, they won't be total nonsense.

I freelanced at ad agencies for a few weeks several years back, terribly challenging industry. I would rather be a fat and happy in-house designer at a client company rather than at an ad agency trying to keep all the clients happy.

Mad Men is not pure fiction!

But for all that endeavour to blend creativity and business, more power to you. Spare a thought for moulding some intelligence out of the audience though, will ya.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It's awesome brucep. Not only is Apple getting into mobile advertising they're actually going to be an agency of sorts! Rather than the Google do-whatever-the-f*k-ads-you-want-boring-text-bollocks, iAds should be hopefully at least of a certain class. Or at worst, mobile advertising won't suck as much.

1) I hope Apple can start a trend in the way ads are presented. We can?t expect ads to go away but it would nice to have more elaborate and interesting ads that took actual development to make.

2) Apple?s iAds could be the tip of the iceberg. It?s made in HTML5 so there is no reason why they couldn?t expend their ads to work outside of App Store apps, being a potential part of the entire internet. They could even have fallback to older browsers for HTML4 or even Flash, though I believe they are pushing their same business model of trying to control the smaller, but more profitable end of this market, not the majority of customers.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    They probably need to hire people to replace those from Quattro Wireless who don't want to uproot and move from Boston to Silicon Valley.

Real Estate Prices out there are rather prohibitive, especially if you have a family.

I knew this would happen as soon as I heard Quattro was acquired by Apple (I was working as a contractor at Quattro when the acquisition happened).

M8R
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

I... I hate that we have to qualify such statements because you know someone will use that to start an argument. \ ...

No offence but isn't that exactly what *you* are doing with this comment?
    Quote:

And without his edit it would have been unknown to the reader that his use of ?more important? was referring to ad revenue?

... and the back and forth begins ...

And yeah, I know it's ironic to continue an argument by referencing your arguments about how arguments start in the context of an argument about not creating arguments.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Hey give Don Draper the Slurpee account and you'll see some magic. Some campaigns completely transcend the brand. Who knew milk was so important, for example...!
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

1) I hope Apple can start a trend in the way ads are presented. We can’t expect ads to go away but it would nice to have more elaborate and interesting ads that took actual development to make.

2) Apple’s iAds could be the tip of the iceberg. It’s made in HTML5 so there is no reason why they couldn’t expend their ads to work outside of App Store apps, being a potential part of the entire internet. They could even have fallback to older browsers for HTML4 or even Flash, though I believe they are pushing their same business model of trying to control the smaller, but more profitable end of this market, not the majority of customers.

Interesting if iAds went beyond apps into the general web. Boy, then would Google be really spooked. And Apple being an ad/media agency of it's own... That could be really interesting... If advertising/ media buying/ planning became an important growth area for Apple. You do get the sense it's naturally a part of Apple's culture.