Apple's shrunken 6th-gen iPod nano to retain 30-pin dock connector

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    I've said this before in another post, but applies here also:

Shuffle and nano merged into the new 3 x 3 device.

New ipod touch "mini" will be the device that falls into the current nanos price point.

iPod touch mini will have much smaller bezel than full size iPod touch, and the screen will be same res as current iPod touch, but with a slightly higher pixel density due to a slight reduction in size (3" or 3.2" compared to full size 3.5")

Ipod touch mini won't have as good a camera or screen as the new ipod touch will, and also won't have a gyro, and will be limited to 8 & 16 gb models, whereas the new full size iPod touch will be 32gb, 64gb & a 128gb to be released later this year.

The basis for my guess being that apple wants it's biggest selling iPod to be able to run ios apps - at nano prices they would probably collect more in app sales revenue from an average buyer than the profit margin from selling the device itself.

I had considered the 3G option for the ipod touch, but thought it unlikely - would be amazing if it did!! I can just imagine a bunch of people buying a touch, thereby bypassing having a voice plan with the wireless carriers all together, and just relying on facetime & Skype for their telephony requirements.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Hoping the 6th gen nanos go on-sale on the 1st!

Most likely not because of this but hopefully right on the 8th:

• Reply 23 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IOSWeekly View Post

I've said this before in another post, but applies here also:

iPod touch mini will have much smaller bezel than full size iPod touch, and the screen will be same res as current iPod touch, but with a slightly higher pixel density due to a slight reduction in size (3" or 3.2" compared to full size 3.5")

Ipod touch mini won't have as good a camera or screen as the new ipod touch will, and also won't have a gyro, and will be limited to 8 & 16 gb models, whereas the new full size iPod touch will be 32gb, 64gb & a 128gb to be released later this year.

To the first paragraph, no. They are not going to be changing the screen size of any ipod touch. Bet on it. To the second paragraph, if the iPhone 4 storage gives us any clue, the capacity is going to stay the same maxed out a 64gig. I'm betting on 128gig next year.
  • Reply 24 of 74
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?d like that, or at the very least a GPS chip in Mac notebooks with Find My Mac built in and apps that work with the GPS chip in the device, which is now a part of HTML5.

Yup. I think HP is doing this now so you can tell where your HP and grab directions pretty accurately, without the need for wifi. All you need is offline maps.
  • Reply 25 of 74
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I'm betting it's the Shuffle that's getting the touch screen. The current Shuffle was a flop.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

Proofreader?

Thanks for the tip!
  • Reply 27 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnlyShawn View Post

[/center] tags are necessary in the original post, btw.

Thank you as well.
  • Reply 28 of 74
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    3G touches would really heat up the idevice domination. They should have done this earlier.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    I think the new Nano will basically be a half sized Touch with a streamlined/optimized UI. Probably something more widget driven instead of full blown apps. It'll be just big enough to emulate the old style iPod click wheel via touch and just big enough for semi-usable soft keyboard. (not going to want to write an e-mail on it but maybe ~140 characters with generous auto-compltion/correction. Wifi + Bluetooth plus a decent resolution screen.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    I do not think this is going to be an iPod nano. It is going to be an iPod Shuffle, or may be a "new" iPod.

If they will really make this their iPod Nano, then I guess they are crazy to do so! Why would they ever cut the size of the screen to almost half of its original size?!?!

can't wait for Sept. 1.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    or... if the small screen is not meant to be actually the device's screen, then it would be the click-wheel, but more digitized with touch-controls.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Kewl. Even kewler if they would enable ...

You know it would be even cooler if you learned to spell and didn't corrupt the English language.

Look up Kewl in the urban dictionary and you'll realize that people will just think you are stupid.

Now back on topic. I find my 2G nano a little on the small side for holding. I would had to hold this. I think I'd be afraid that I would lose it...
  • Reply 33 of 74
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    From the article: ..."the device will have buttons on its side, perhaps for volume control"...

Or for adjusting the time. I think the square form factor is a hint that this isn't going to be "the new iPod nano" after all. No TV shows or movies are square, and all Apple devices with screens have rectangular shapes, with a clear preferred "bottom edge."

Just add a wrist strap to a small square iDevice and voila: iWatch. And iWatch.com is conveniently being parked by someone. Perhaps by a well-disguised holding company owned by Apple?

I hope it is, in fact a wrist-mounted watch-like device. The Asian company that already made some small square rubber cases (and leaked pictures to generate publicity for themselves) would be screwed. Which would be a good thing.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    If the small square screen really is the only screen on the device, then it's going to be far too small to run iOS and App Store apps comfortably. Apple would not want to add another species of app to the existing three types (iPhone only, iPad only, and iPhone + iPad universal.)

That means it would run a variant of the Pixo-based iPod OS. And for controlling playback and choosing songs, a virtual click wheel could be superimposed on the touch screen when needed. A new "watch" app could be the default display, with a few other basic apps including the iPod app.

All of this means that the real iPod nano could keep roughly the same form factor, possibly with a virtual click wheel on the touch screen to replace the separate click wheel. I wouldn't be surprised if this were the last iPod nano, so Apple can see how it sells compared to the "iWatch" before canceling it.

And one last crazy idea: the iWatch could be cheap enough to be a killer remote. For the next-gen Apple TV. Just a thought...
  • Reply 36 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

3G touches would really heat up the idevice domination. They should have done this earlier.

Um yeah they did..back in 2007 it's called the iPhone duh

Why the hell would apple put a 3G radio chip in the iPod touch!?

Get a iPad
  • Reply 37 of 74
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

You know it would be even cooler if you learned to spell and didn't corrupt the English language.

Look up Kewl in the urban dictionary and you'll realize that people will just think you are stupid.

Now back on topic. I find my 2G nano a little on the small side for holding. I would had to hold this. I think I'd be afraid that I would lose it...

You know what would be cooler? If people stopped being grammar nazis! BTW, maybe you should follow your own advice (you said "I would had to hold this.") I won't correct it but you know what is wrong with that sentence.

• Reply 38 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Um yeah they did..back in 2007 it's called the iPhone duh

Why the hell would apple put a 3G radio chip in the iPod touch!?

Get a iPad

Skype.

I've got an iPad and I'd buy a 3G Touch, especially if I could use the same SIM card in each. There are times when the iPad is too big.

I don't need a cell phone any more so a 3G touch would be perfect.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    I also would doubt that this is going to be the new Nano. It obviously fits the form factor for a Shuffle and would make the Shuffle a lot more practical than it has ever been. Not having a screen on the Shuffle has always made it very limited and if you think about it, it is the one iPod that really hasn't changed all that much since it was first introduced (Except for more memory and voice prompts). I'm not sure what the new Nano will be, but I'm guessing this is the new Shuffle.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I'm with the people who think it's the new shuffle.

What's in a name?

If Apple effectively brings out a touchscreen shuffle and calls it the Nano, does it not smell as sweet?

If the replacement, in essence, for the current Nano is called a Touch, is it not a Nano replacement just the same?

And if a new top end iPod comes with more screen real estate, do we get a new name and the one more thing Jobs needs for his presentation on Wednesday?

There does appear to be a lot of repositioing going on and that suggests to me that something like a 5" Touch is about to see the light of day. One can always hope.