Apple's iPad order shipping times improve to 24 hours

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
After struggling to meet consumer demand for the iPad since it launched in April, estimated shipping times for new online orders have improved to within 24 hours, suggesting any production problems have been resolved.

New orders for the Wi-Fi-only and 3G-capable iPad, in all available storage capacities, now ship within 24 hours when purchased from Apple's official online store.

For months, customers had to wait an estimated 7 to 10 days for their order to ship. A few weeks ago, iPad shipping times quietly improved to between 3 and 5 days.

The estimated 24 hour shipping schedule would suggest that Apple has managed to catch up with consumer demand for the iPad, which has been a multi-million seller in its first few months on the market. Apple struggled to meet demand, as various component suppliers could not get orders to the company fast enough.

In its first three months of availability, the iPad sold 3.27 million units. Officials with Apple admitted that they were caught off guard by the high demand for the product.

Strong initial demand for the iPad even forced Apple to delay the international launch of its touchscreen tablet by a month. Instead, the device launched in a number of overseas countries at the end of May.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103
    This would seem to be just the opposite of what would be expected by those guessing a refresh on the current iPad (a 2nd generation) although I guess a smaller form factor could still be introduced. I don't see the price going down much for it. I also don't see me having a need (or want) for one.

Now I might just get in line next spring for one with 3G - or a FaceTime capable model (leveraging both WiFi and 3G). I was not patient enough to wait till the 3G's came out - snapped up my 64G WiFi the first day and even get to use it to test with when I can tear it away from my family - my wife figured we would get by with just the one. Boy did she miss that mark, need more like 3. Should make it easier to get the next one though.
  • Reply 2 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

This would seem to be just the opposite of what would be expected by those guessing a refresh on the current iPad (a 2nd generation) although I guess a smaller form factor could still be introduced. I don't see the price going down much for it. I also don't see me having a need (or want) for one.

Now I might just get in line for one with 3G - or next spring a FaceTime version using WiFi and 3G.

That?s what I was thinking.

My usage needs have changed over the past couple months that a dedicated reader would be a useful tool. The Pages update to export to ePub is also nice. However, I will be wait until the 2nd generation 9.7? iPad at this point.
  • Reply 3 of 103
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After struggling to meet consumer demand for the iPad since it launched in April, estimated shipping times for new online orders have improved to within 24 hours, suggesting any production problems have been resolved.

...or that demand has dried up.

It does seem that the possibility has to be accounted for. Do we have any updated sales numbers? Or even estimates from those store-watching analysts?

I suspect it is a combination of both views. Sales could hardly be expected to keep up the torrid pace of the first few months (and the international rollouts have been completed, no?) and it is to be expected that production capacity would be expanded as needed over time. Anyway, I thought I would hit this before a troll can make it into an "issue."
  • Reply 4 of 103
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

It does seem that the possibility has to be accounted for. Do we have any updated sales numbers? Or even estimates from those store-watching analysts?

I suspect it is a combination of both views. Sales could hardly be expected to keep up the torrid pace of the first few months (and the international rollouts have been completed, no?) and it is to be expected that production capacity would be expanded as needed over time. Anyway, I thought I would hit this before a troll can make it into an "issue."

It's possible. People might be waiting and seeing until some of the Android decides come out. But personally I don't think so. Most people I know who own one now want a second one.
  • Reply 5 of 103
    Quote:

This would seem to be just the opposite of what would be expected by those guessing a refresh on the current iPad (a 2nd generation) although I guess a smaller form factor could still be introduced. I don't see the price going down much for it. I also don't see me having a need (or want) for one. ...

Yeah, as much as I would love to see a smaller iPad, I don't see how it's in the works if they aren't testing it yet, and they are still trying to ramp up production on the first model.

Quote:

... - my wife figured we would get by with just the one. Boy did she miss that mark, need more like 3. Should make it easier to get the next one though.

If they don't get out some decent software for the thing soon you can have mine.

I bought it because I wanted to be productive "on the go" sort of speak. iPad is a fantastic slouchy-type device for using around the house, but it ain't no mobile computer (unless you are talking the mobility needed to get from the living room to the kitchen).
  • Reply 6 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, as much as I would love to see a smaller iPad, I don't see how it's in the works if they aren't testing it yet, and they are still trying to ramp up production on the first model.

If they don't get out some decent software for the thing soon you can have mine.

I bought it because I wanted to be productive "on the go" sort of speak. iPad is a fantastic slouchy-type device for using around the house, but it ain't no mobile computer (unless you are talking the mobility needed to get from the living room to the kitchen).

You know, I think I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I'm a college student. I have a MacBook Pro, but I also have an iPad. I use the iPad in class all the time. Between iWork for iPad (which I use to take notes with in my social science classes) and Penultimate (which I use in conjunction with a Pogo Sketch pen for my math and science classes), I find the iPad to be a very productive tool. Throw in a PDF reader (whether it be GoodReader or iBooks or ReaddleDocs) and all of a sudden the iPad is the perfect on the go device. Now granted, if I need to write a 10 page paper, I'm probably not going to do it on my iPad. But, it's a great device to take to the library to do some research with.
  • Reply 7 of 103
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

It was made very clear that this was a media consumption device with the facility for basic/light content creation.

It does what it said it would do - web, email, music, books, games.

If you want to be productive on the go, get a macbook.

And yes, I know some people use this to create content, and for productivity, but that's a good thing.

Seriously, if you need to work with a full file system, full os and keyboard, get a laptop.

It still amuses me that people criticise this product for not being something it was never marketed as being.
  • Reply 8 of 103
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Apple really can't win, can they? Not enough - apple have messed up. Ramp up manufacture to meet demand - obviously no one wants one. It's still 7 days here in the uk, and my local reseller was sold out with a three week delay when I went to get another one this morning. Guy behind counter said they were selling out as soon as they could get them in.
  • Reply 9 of 103
    0yvind0yvind Posts: 55member
    Quote:

The international rollouts have NOT been completeted. We still can't buy them in Scandinavia (I see lots of Norwegians have them on cafes or trains, but they've bought them abroad). I tried when in France in June but it was a ten days wait then. Someone at the Apple store in London told a friend of mine they would start selling them in Norway in September. So still haven't got mine (would very much prefer a 7" one though)...
  • Reply 10 of 103
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Apple really can't win, can they? Not enough - apple have messed up. Ramp up manufacture to meet demand - obviously no one wants one. It's still 7 days here in the uk, and my local reseller was sold out with a three week delay when I went to get another one this morning. Guy behind counter said they were selling out as soon as they could get them in.

Music to my ears (The selling out fast bit I mean).
  • Reply 11 of 103
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

This would seem to be just the opposite of what would be expected by those guessing a refresh on the current iPad (a 2nd generation)

Really meeting current production demand means nothing with respect to an upgraded iPad model. Especially if you believe that upgraded model will address the RAM issue to support iOS 4.x. In my case the only reason i see for an interim upgrade is the need for more RAM. Not only is it needed for the OS but an upgrade will enable far more functional apps.

Quote:

although I guess a smaller form factor could still be introduced. I don't see the price going down much for it. I also don't see me having a need (or want) for one.

Your specific needs are not important here. The question is will such a device generate significant demand in the marketplace? I'm suggesting it will given the right feature set, especially an HD or wider screen.

Quote:

Now I might just get in line next spring for one with 3G - or a FaceTime capable model (leveraging both WiFi and 3G). I was not patient enough to wait till the 3G's came out - snapped up my 64G WiFi the first day and even get to use it to test with when I can tear it away from my family

I've been forcing myself to hold off buying but honestly it hasn't been easy. The problem for me is that lack of RAM which I see as a huge issue once the multitasking IOS 4 features come to iPad. The other issue is with apps that are extremely limited due to the marginal amount of RAM. It is interesting the comment earlier in the thread about productivity apps. While iPad does not appear to be as bad as implied, more RAM would open up the device to a whole bunch of new possibilities. IPhone 4 pretty much proves the point here.

Quote:

- my wife figured we would get by with just the one. Boy did she miss that mark, need more like 3. Should make it easier to get the next one though.

I'm glad the family likes the device. Holding off on another is a very good idea. I suspect that the next one will be highly optimized for iOS 4.x. Possibly with an SMP computational unit.

What truely amazes me is just how good iPad is for a rev one device from Apple. There have been only a few hiccups with the OS and the hardware is proving to be very good. The only hardware problem that really requires comment is the limited operating range temperature wise. I suspect that has a lot to do with the battery. Everyone at Apple should be pleased with themselves. Hopefully they are hard at work on the next rev.

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theAppleMan912 View Post

Is this any sign that supply difficulties are being solved (wasn't the problem with the iPad rumored to be the display, same with the iP4). White iP4, here I come

The iPad was reported to be a a lack of displays to meet demand. The white iPhone 4 was issue in producing the front and back glass with the appropriate white balance.
  • Reply 13 of 103
    Quote:

Ramping production has nothing to do with revving the current model or introducing a smaller unit. Besides leaked info already implies that a revved iPad IS IN TESTING. Info on a smaller pad is admittedly thin, but demand is there.

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean here, much of the software is pretty decent. For advanced productivity needs you would need an iPad with a lot more RAM. So you are limited with the current model but that doesn't mean good apps don't exist now.

Quote:

This last bit is just plain garbage. IPad is a mobile computer with a focus on apps suitable for a low power tablet. Some of those apps are very useful productivity tools. Beyound that it is wishful thinking to believe every desktop app will transfer to the device well. To that end you either need an iPad with more RAM or a laptop.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Really meeting current production demand means nothing with respect to an upgraded iPad model. Especially if you believe that upgraded model will address the RAM issue to support iOS 4.x. In my case the only reason i see for an interim upgrade is the need for more RAM. Not only is it needed for the OS but an upgrade will enable far more functional apps.

Your specific needs are not important here. The question is will such a device generate significant demand in the marketplace? I'm suggesting it will given the right feature set, especially an HD or wider screen.

I've been forcing myself to hold off buying but honestly it hasn't been easy. The problem for me is that lack of RAM which I see as a huge issue once the multitasking IOS 4 features come to iPad. The other issue is with apps that are extremely limited due to the marginal amount of RAM. It is interesting the comment earlier in the thread about productivity apps. While iPad does not appear to be as bad as implied, more RAM would open up the device to a whole bunch of new possibilities. IPhone 4 pretty much proves the point here.

I'm glad the family likes the device. Holding off on another is a very good idea. I suspect that the next one will be highly optimized for iOS 4.x. Possibly with an SMP computational unit.

What truely amazes me is just how good iPad is for a rev one device from Apple. There have been only a few hiccups with the OS and the hardware is proving to be very good. The only hardware problem that really requires comment is the limited operating range temperature wise. I suspect that has a lot to do with the battery. Everyone at Apple should be pleased with themselves. Hopefully they are hard at work on the next rev.

Dave

Eh? Lack of ram for multitasking?

Shall I point you in the direction of the iPhone 3GS? A device with an inferior CPU and similar ram? Multitasks just fine.

I don't think apple is holding off 4.0 for iPad because of lack of hardware - it's just that they are cooking up something a bit special for the iPad version - I'm picking Safari is in for some big changes. And folders will probably look quite different also.
  • Reply 15 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theAppleMan912 View Post

Is this any sign that supply difficulties are being solved (wasn't the problem with the iPad rumored to be the display, same with the iP4). White iP4, here I come

The issues with iPhone 4 White are entirely different than iPads. More so the indications are that production problems on iPad involved more than the screen. Plus all of the iPad problems revolved around not having the capacity to meet initial demand. IPhone 4 White seems to have unresolved quality issues.

In a way the iPad problem is a good thing (to a limited extent). The iPhone 4 White is a very embarrasing problem to have and indicates a quality issue caught way to late.

Dave
  • Reply 16 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IOSWeekly View Post

Shall I point you in the direction of the iPhone 3GS? A device with an inferior CPU and similar ram? Multitasks just fine.

I don't think apple is holding off 4.0 for iPad because of lack of hardware - it's just that they are cooking up something a bit special for the iPad version - I'm picking Safari is in for some big changes. And folders will probably look quite different also.

That may be true but there these are not the same devices. The iPad needs more ram than the iPhone 3GS because of the vast differences in the number of pixels it?s pushing. Add to that the possibility of more complex apps because of the larger screen real estate, I don?t think it?s unlikely that the current iPad will not get multitasking with v4.0. In fact, that might be one reason why we haven?t even seen a single iOS 4.0 for iPad IPSW get released to developers.
  • Reply 17 of 103
    Well jail broken ipads can handle multitasking just fine - so I'm pretty sure if independent developers can do it easily enough, then apple isn't going to have any problem whatsoever enabling it, and enabling it well!
  • Reply 18 of 103
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It's possible. People might be waiting and seeing until some of the Android decides come out. But personally I don't think so. Most people I know who own one now want a second one.

I agree. Anecdotally, I have heard people are still buying. I suspect this is true, but, still, I don't have any numbers to back it up. and I haven't even heard any serious attempts at estimating sales lately...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I didn't mean to be slamming Apple. Clearly, the iPad introduction and rollout has to be one of the most interesting and successful stories in consumer electronics in years. I don't have one yet (maybe next rev) but I want one!

Still, when availability increases, there are clearly two possibilities. The article mentioned increased production as the only reason and it seems fair to at least consider reduced demand (even if only to dismiss it).
  • Reply 19 of 103
    Quote:

Well jail broken ipads can handle multitasking just fine - so I'm pretty sure if independent developers can do it easily enough, then apple isn't going to have any problem whatsoever enabling it, and enabling it well!

And jailbreakers said that the original iPhone could multitask ?just fine? and yet any reasonable user would find the results on the performance and battery life to be less than fine. It?s comment like that that let us that tell us you have not considered the resource limitations of the iPad or understand the difference between technically possible and feasibility.
  • Reply 20 of 103
    Quote:

Yes exactly more RAM. If you don't believe me talk to some local iOS programmers. The fact is iPad has less RAM available to apps than the iPhone 3GS. Much of that RAM is likely going to the frame buffer for video.

Even at that the 3GS isn't exactly a iOS 4 power house of multitasking performance. Rather it is the minimal platform that delivers the performance Apple wants.

Quote:

Yeah OK. Since there is a wide range of what "just fine" means i will give you that. On the other hand iPad is starting out with a significant memory disadvantage to 3GS's crappy multitasking. Crappy may be an overstatement but it isn't an iPhone 4.

Quote:

I don't think apple is holding off 4.0 for iPad because of lack of hardware - it's just that they are cooking up something a bit special for the iPad version

Actually i agree with you here. At least in the sense that a larger screen permits a different user interface and that the more powerful processor can deliver more functionality.

Quote:

- I'm picking Safari is in for some big changes. And folders will probably look quite different also.

Actually I hate the direction Safari is going in!

As to other features that is really a big unknown. However some of the multitasking design decisions made for the iPhones don't really make sense on a larger screened iPad. There is this need to run more than one app at a time and not have to worry about tricky OS multitasking.

Beyound that there are a lot of features needed with respect to iOS. For example:

Printing support.

Better directory support / shared file area.

OpenCL

Of course fuller support of GCD.

Better support of USB.

Scripting support (Ruby or Python)

Better mapping support.

Background support for clocks.

For that matter an Applefied CRON like facility.

Greater support for app access to SD cards.

A lot of items so a few comments are in order.

First about printing. This is often requested and for good reason. However there is no free lunch thus adding orinting to the frameworks and OS will result in bloat. Maybe not wildly so but any RAM on a limited device is RAM that the App could use.

I would expect that bringing OpenCL to iOS would result in even more RAM being used though the trade off is performance.

The other items might not be big RAM users but they do result in some bloat. Some features affect the RAM available to all apps (like printing) while others only have a very modest if any impact on RAM. In general though more features means more bloat. Since iOS 4.x for iPad will have more features there will be more RAM used by the OS. Thus the inescapable conclusion that iPad needs more RAM and the sooner the better.

You can argue all you want about the 3GS or other iOS multitasking platforms but the arguement is not convincing. First look at iPhone 4 which has a similar frame buffer size, it went to 512MB of RAM. Then look at the app make up for iPad and realize it is a slightly different market. Finally consider how apps like Safari and others crash often due to the lack of RAM.

Tie all of these together and i think you will come to the same conclusion i do, iPad needs more RAM. It wouldn't hurt now but is even more important with the arrival of iOS 4.x.

Dave