Apple's iPad order shipping times improve to 24 hours

Comments

• Reply 81 of 103
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

The same users who now deny the massive success of Windows while making futile attempts at telling us why it is so flawed and that people are wrong to buy and enjoy the product, that happy Windows users are somehow deluding themselves. .

What is this argument about? :scratching my head: I have been using Windows since forever and never once I use it because I think it is superior to the alternative. Don't kid yourself, for a very long time Windows was flawed.

Some people believed iPad will fail because it's flawed, Heck, even myself didn't think it'll be this successful, but I never heard anyone predicting Windows will fail.
  • Reply 82 of 103
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
  • Reply 83 of 103
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

If you don't get the point of my reply, then you either have comprehension issues or a low IQ. I'm afraid i can't be of any assistance to either of your issues.

Handbags.

I think rev 1 of the iPad is not really the business just yet. They need to

1) Fix iTunes. Get in the cloud. Allow people to activate without a computer. Otherwise you need a computer. I am not buying an iPad for my Mom ( who can surf and email on it quite easily) until that is sorted. Why? Because it is pointless since she needs a computer anyway, my idea was to give her the iPad and transfer her computer ( really my old - but not very - Mac Book Pro) elsewhere in the family. No go.

2) Get a printer solution working. Drivers can be downloaded so do that. I bet they get to that in 4.2

3) Multitasking, of course. but that is coming.

4) Include an keyboard in some models ( i.e. in the box). My iPhone is ok, as I can thumb type, but I can type much better on a normal sized physical computer.

5) More hard disk.

Fix that, lower the price, and the iPad will sell hundreds of millions.

As for the rest of the report. The US is not the world. Demand may have equalled supply in the US ( or vice versa) but that is not true elsewhere. As Apple goes more global ( which they will announce on Wednesday I presume) the Us delays may return as channel is distributed elsewhere. Delays of 3-5 days I mean.
  • Reply 84 of 103
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

If you don't get the point of my reply, then you either have comprehension issues or a low IQ. I'm afraid i can't be of any assistance to either of your issues.

Or, maybe it was just a dumb and pointless reply.
  • Reply 85 of 103
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Frankly, when I read your posts I would never imagine you to be of any assistance to me in any case.
  • Reply 86 of 103
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Handbags.

The US is not the world. Demand may have equalled supply in the US ( or vice versa) but that is not true elsewhere. As Apple goes more global ( which they will announce on Wednesday I presume) the Us delays may return as channel is distributed elsewhere. Delays of 3-5 days I mean.

Shipping times in Germany have also improved to 24 h.
  • Reply 87 of 103
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Just downloaded SoundPaper. Thanks Onhka!

You're welcome.

FYI, if anybody wants to improve their typing on the iPad, I would highly recommend "TapTyping - typing trainer". It really does work. At $3.99 it's a great investment.

In the meantime, they (Flairify LLC) ) have a "TapTyping - typing speed test" for free will give you an idea if you want to improve your skills.

Now with DragonDictation and SoundPaper, I rarely hook up my Bluetooth keyboard.
  • Reply 88 of 103
    Quote:

1) Fix iTunes. Get in the cloud. Allow people to activate without a computer. Otherwise you need a computer. I am not buying an iPad for my Mom ( who can surf and email on it quite easily) until that is sorted. Why? Because it is pointless since she needs a computer anyway, my idea was to give her the iPad and transfer her computer ( really my old - but not very - Mac Book Pro) elsewhere in the family. No go.

2) Get a printer solution working. Drivers can be downloaded so do that. I bet they get to that in 4.2

3) Multitasking, of course. but that is coming.

4) Include an keyboard in some models ( i.e. in the box). My iPhone is ok, as I can thumb type, but I can type much better on a normal sized physical computer.

5) More hard disk.

1) You can already activate an iPad without iTunes. The Apple Store can do it. After that, she really doesn't need a Mac or a PC to use the iPad, except for OS updates. This is all Apple really needs to "fix" about the way the iPad works in relation to other devices.

2) This is a more complicated problem than anyone seems prepared to admit. We're talking potentially hundreds of drivers that need to be written for the solution to be robust, as opposed to sporadic and frustrating. Wired or wireless printers? Both? I'd bet against printer support in 4.2 or any time soon.

3) Beaten to death and beyond.

4) Why in the box?

5) A questionable need for most people, but all this and make it cheaper besides? Where does realism enter into the equation?
  • Reply 89 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

1) You can already activate an iPad without iTunes. The Apple Store can do it. After that, she really doesn't need a Mac or a PC to use the iPad, except for OS updates. This is all Apple really needs to "fix" about the way the iPad works in relation to other devices.

2) This is a more complicated problem than anyone seems prepared to admit. We're talking potentially hundreds of drivers that need to be written for the solution to be robust, as opposed to sporadic and frustrating. Wired or wireless printers? Both? I'd bet against printer support in 4.2 or any time soon.

3) Beaten to death and beyond.

4) Why in the box?

5) A questionable need for most people, but all this and make it cheaper besides? Where does realism enter into the equation?

1) So, on Christmas Day what happens. Are we going to wait for the Apple Store to open. That would put a dampener of the day.

2) I dunno. Doesn't OS X recognise CUPS aware printers and then download the spefific driver for that printer. As far as I know OS X does not come with every printer driver under the sun.

3) Yes, and will be solved.

4) So I can order one with, and wrap it up. I am thinking gifts.

5) The margin is quite high already. I think they can come down on the margin and increase the hard disk. The question is whether Apple want to go large this christmas, or next.

I see this is a Christmas gift if they fix the issues. Particularly the prining and the cloud. Otherwise, next year.
  • Reply 90 of 103
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

1) So, on Christmas Day what happens. Are we going to wait for the Apple Store to open. That would put a dampener of the day.

2) I dunno. Doesn't OS X recognise CUPS aware printers and then download the spefific driver for that printer. As far as I know OS X does not come with every printer driver under the sun.

5) The margin is quite high already. I think they can come down on the margin and increase the hard disk. The question is whether Apple want to go large this christmas, or next.

I see this is a Christmas gift if they fix the issues. Particularly the prining and the cloud. Otherwise, next year.

Can I address the last two here...

(4) Buy one of those keyboard/dock accessories, and gift that. It comes in its own box. If Apple included it with the iPad, the base price would increase, and many people don't want a keyboard.

(5) What hard drive? You mean the solid state storage of 64GB? Sure, Apple will get around to increasing it (next stop 128 GB) probably in the next rev in Spring 2011. But 64GB is pretty stellar right now. I have all of my photos, music, and 20 movies on one of my iPads. WIth some room to spare. (And I don't even need that many movies full time. Just for road trips with the kids.)

Thompson
  • Reply 91 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Can I address the last two here...

(4) Buy one of those keyboard/dock accessories, and gift that. It comes in its own box. If Apple included it with the iPad, the base price would increase, and many people don't want a keyboard.

(5) What hard drive? You mean the solid state storage of 64GB? Sure, Apple will get around to increasing it (next stop 128 GB) probably in the next rev in Spring 2011. But 64GB is pretty stellar right now. I have all of my photos, music, and 20 movies on one of my iPads. WIth some room to spare. (And I don't even need that many movies full time. Just for road trips with the kids.)

Thompson

64 G is too expensive, I would be happy with that storage but not the price. She would be getting a 16G this year if anything based on cost.

EDIT:

Anyway biggest issues are 1) and 2). Mom prints out boarding passes, and work, all the time. She cant lose that.
  • Reply 92 of 103
    Quote:

1) On Christmas [or holiday of choice] you have either a.) already activated it for them and put it back in the box, b.) had it activated at the Apple Store before you brought it home to wrap, or c.) let them do the activation themselves - it takes what a whole 30 seconds to connect, activate and release?

2) it does, but until Snow Leopard the OX driver library was a signifcant part of the install. Now, the lib rests primarily on an Apple server cluster somewhere and only the most popular drivers are delivered to the machine itself.

3) Already solved - just not released yet

4) - see 1) response above

5) how is the margin "quite high"? Based on what information - or do you assume this to be the case? And who is going to need that much more storage space (not that I don't assume that Apple will increase it over time) not one of the many iPad owners I know have complained about lack of storage. The whole keyboard thing I understand - some people especially "touch-typers" are not comfortable typing on a touch screen, but without a decent market analysis, how many of the current users are touch-typists and need a keyboard? Most people are not and technically do not. My wife for example, is a touch typer, but she tends to use dragon dictation for her longer treatises, obviating the need for an external keyboard. When her fingers get twitchy, she simply parks the iPad on a stand in front of her sleeping computer and links into her computer's bluetooth keyboard for it.

Just sayin'.
  • Reply 93 of 103
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I'm really trying to like my iPad but it seems everyday I become more disappointed. Yesterday I discovered that when you do a Google search and the result list contains a link to (48 reviews) if you click that link you only get a map no reviews. The iPhone works although slightly different but at least you can read the reviews. On the iPad I have yet to figure out how to read the reviews.
  • Reply 94 of 103
    Quote:

1) It is possible, is all I am saying. I wasn't specifically thinking of Christmas morning, only the issue in general, of which I think far too much is made in terms of a criticism.

2) Currently, the iOS has no printer services or interface. The basic support can be added of course, but I'm not sure that CUPS is the answer for drivers. I've never had much luck with it on my Mac. The Mac comes with hundreds of printer drivers preinstalled. You are suggesting I believe that the printer manufacturers are prepared to write new ones for iOS. Do you think so? I'm skeptical. And again, support for wired or wireless printing? These are not trivial issues.

The printing issue on the iPad is very similar to the USB complaint a lot of people leveled at the iPad when it came out. I believe Apple was intent on the making the iPad user experience as flawless as possible, which meant leaving out support for some features that could not be made to work without hiccups. My sense is that Apple is going to be VERY careful about adding new features. If a feature like printing only works some of the time, then they aren't going to add it.

3) Yes, it will become a moot point, but I wonder how many people in Apple's actual market for the product really care. I've got iOS 4 on my iPhone and find that multitasking changes my use of the device not one iota.

4) Wrap two boxes? Sounds like a solution in search of a problem!

5) Apple has said that they plan to be aggressive on price, but the name of the game is keeping margins as high as possible, so I'd expect them to be looking to the competition (of which none currently exists) before cutting into their own margins.

As for going large, since the iPad has already outsold anyone's expectations (including Apple's apparently) and supply is just beginning to meet demand, I think it might be a tad early to suggest a need to rejigger anything much to boost demand. Next year, maybe. New models by then, we all expect. Apple is not asleep at the switch. I hope we all know that.
  • Reply 95 of 103
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm really trying to like my iPad but it seems everyday I become more disappointed. Yesterday I discovered that when you do a Google search and the result list contains a link to (48 reviews) if you click that link you only get a map no reviews. The iPhone works although slightly different but at least you can read the reviews. On the iPad I have yet to figure out how to read the reviews.

That's a problem with Google, not with the iPad. (Although, it provides a strong argument for why a curated ecosystem is necessary, when Apple gets blamed for issues that are so obviously not their fault.)
  • Reply 96 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

5) how is the margin "quite high"? Based on what information - or do you assume this to be the case? And who is going to need that much more storage space (not that I don't assume that Apple will increase it over time) not one of the many iPad owners I know have complained about lack of storage. The whole keyboard thing I understand - some people especially "touch-typers" are not comfortable typing on a touch screen, but without a decent market analysis, how many of the current users are touch-typists and need a keyboard? Most people are not and technically do not. My wife for example, is a touch typer, but she tends to use dragon dictation for her longer treatises, obviating the need for an external keyboard. When her fingers get twitchy, she simply parks the iPad on a stand in front of her sleeping computer and links into her computer's bluetooth keyboard for it.

Just sayin'.

The storage is not the most important for my mom, but it is for me. I am not happy with the 16G, but thats my fault - shoulda gone higher. Sure, on 1, I can can activate and put back in the box, I suppose that is not a huge issue.

The general issue with 1) and 2) is : does the iPad replace a computer or act as a device working in parallel with a computer.

In the cloud case I would like to see purchased items stream over the web, or download, or both. That would work out of the box.

I think they will fix printing using the snow leopard solution. Anyway I will be buying iPads for familly some time in the future, just not the Christmas.

EDIT: To answer MillMoss

Quote:

You are suggesting I believe that the printer manufacturers are prepared to write new ones for iOS. Do you think so? I'm skeptical. And again, support for wired or wireless printing? These are not trivial issues.

No, I think that it should be as simple as a port, a recompile, if on top of iOKit. Then they put their drivers whereever they put their OS X drivers.
  • Reply 97 of 103
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That's a problem with Google, not with the iPad. (Although, it provides a strong argument for why a curated ecosystem is necessary, when Apple gets blamed for issues that are so obviously not their fault.)

Whatever. The link on the desktop brings up Google Maps and it includes the reviews. The link on the iPhone brings embedded Google Maps and the reviews, however a link on the iPad brings up the native Maps app without reviews. I don't care who is to blame, the iPad just doesn't fulfill my needs in this instance.

Edit: Actually it appears that Safari on iPad is hijacking the url. It should be going to
    Code:

http://www.google.com/maps/place?...

not to the native Maps app.
  • Reply 98 of 103
    Quote:

No, I think that it should be as simple as a port, a recompile, if on top of iOKit. Then they put their drivers whereever they put their OS X drivers.

You could be right, I really don't know. So what about wired vs. wireless? I'm thinking most people who have just an iPad for their computing are not going to own a networked printer, they're going to want to use an inexpensive USB inkjet.
  • Reply 99 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You could be right, I really don't know. So what about wired vs. wireless? I'm thinking most people who have just an iPad for their computing are not going to own a networked printer, they're going to want to use an inexpensive USB inkjet.

Yeah, has to be wireless. Good point. not sure if my Mom's printer is wireless.
  • Reply 100 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Its not a Google problem when it works on everything else other then the iPad.