Owner of location-based advertising patent targets Apple's iAds

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple and its fledgling iAds mobile advertising service are the target of a new lawsuit from a company that owns a patent related to location-based ads.

Apple was named along with a host of other wireless advertising companies in the lawsuit from StreetSpace, including Quattro Wireless, which was purchased by Apple earlier this year and is now being phased out in favor of iAds. Other defendants include Google, AdMob, Nokia, Navteq, Millenial Media and Jumptap.

StreetSpace is headquartered in Malaysia, and the company is the creator of a remote Internet terminal known as the Web Station. Users can walk up to one of these terminals to access the Internet, and are delivered targeted advertisements in the process.

Related to that invention is U.S. Patent No. 6,847,969, which StreetSpace has alleged Apple and others are in violation of. Named "Method and System for Providing Personalized Online Services and Advertisements in Public Spaces," it was granted on Jan. 25, 2005.

The lawsuit notes that StreetSpace's mobile terminal products were available in the late '90s at bookstores, retail stores, cafes and restaurants in Berkley Calif., and had more than 30,000 registered users. The "Street Line" terminal, as it was then known, was also used during in the Olympic Village at Salt Lake City, Utah, during the 2002 Winter Olympics.

Now known as the Web station, the product is said to be used by a number of leading banks in Malaysia, including Maybank, CIMB Bank and AFFIN Bank.

The suit alleges that Apple's iAds service, launched in iPhone applications on July 1, is in violation of its patent because it delivers personalized advertisements based on a user's location, profile and usage history. The delivery of ads on the iPhone, iPod touch and (eventually) the iPad is infringing on the '969 patent owned by StreetSpace, the company claims.

The complaint was filed last week in a U.S. District Court in the Southern District of California.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    I patented a way for lawyers to sue rich companies over patents. Now, lawyers, pay up.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Does Apple ever sue to protect its patents? God knows they file a lot of them. Seems like the only time they sue is a countersuit in response to someone else. Just wondering.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    You know it's nice to see someone starting a patent infringement action when they themselves actually have a product based on the patent. What I can't stand is people who have a patent, have done nothing with it, then sue to make money.

That said, this does seem to be a spectacularly broad patent, which irritates me as well.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Does Apple ever sue to protect its patents? God knows they file a lot of them. Seems like the only time they sue is a countersuit in response to someone else. Just wondering.

Um...yes. HTC (or, the "Google phone maker" according to most media outlets so that it appears that Apple sued Google) comes to mind. Psystar as well.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

In addition to the aforementioned HTC and Psystar suits, Apple has recently filed a number of design-related suits against various accessory manufacturers.

Their lawyers probably send a lot of cease-and-desist letters which presumably are complied with.

You can see a select list of litigation right here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_lawsuits

When Apple is listed first, they are the plaintiff.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

Um...yes. HTC (or, the "Google phone maker" according to most media outlets so that it appears that Apple sued Google) comes to mind. Psystar as well.

Yeah not very often. It doesn't mean that they are not protecting their patents through closed door negotiations. There is no doubt that is how the HTC thing started. Unlike most of these companies that start lawsuits, Apple isn't in the business to sue other companies so it doesn't happen very often.

Personally, I hope this is thrown out. Apple isn't in the Internet Kiosk business. Not to mention that this is an overly broad patent.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    How can you patent location based advertising in the first place? Posting an ad in a local newspaper is effectively the same thing as the people who read the newspaper are likely from the area. What about a bulletin board? The only people that it targets are the ones standing in front of it.

Edit: If you wish to point out that you can patent the method of delivering targeted advertising, others have already done so. Refer to post #14.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    every article is about lawsuits and patents lately.

i'm looking forward to wednesday when we have some mac hardware [and software?] news
  • Reply 9 of 37
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

How can you patent location based advertising in the first place? Posting an ad in a local newspaper is effectively the same thing as the people who read the newspaper are likely from the area. What about a bulletin board? The only people that it targets are the ones standing in front of it.

i agree with you, and i'm sure every lawyer will too, but here's the issue: "Method and System for Providing Personalized Online Services and Advertisements in Public Spaces"
  • Reply 10 of 37
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    What's Good For The Goose...
  • Reply 11 of 37
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

It appears that you're/the media are unaware that HTC also manufactures numerous handsets than run other (than Android) mobile operating systems.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Geez, what's next? Maybe the map makers will sue all the GPS device makers for "providing maps based on the user's location". Then we can all trash our GPS devices forever, and go back to folding and unfolding paper maps. I love one of the local law firms, which ends its ad (true ad) with this clever phrase: "Lawyers you'll like" (what?...as opposed to all the others?) which implies what everyone already thinks of the "profession" in general.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i agree with you, and i'm sure every lawyer will too, but here's the issue: "Method and System for Providing Personalized Online Services and Advertisements in Public Spaces"

I'm no lawyer, but I just looked (briefly) into their method and I fail to see how it applies to today's internet advertising at all. They identify users by a different means (smart card), and they determine location through a different means (kiosk identification number). The only thing remotely similar is that they maintain a database of a customers usage history. I'm not sure how they could claim ownership to that (some stores have been asking for personal information for ages). They also limit the patent to public spaces and specifically exclude the home. Their focus is on things like kiosks and bank machines.

I do wish that AI would link the patents in question.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Anyone else notice the DEMAND FOR JURY TRIAL notation? Isn't that done all the time by patent trolls to get a gullible jury that doesn't know anything about technical issues to vote their way?
  • Reply 15 of 37
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:

As has been stated many times before in patent suits, you do not get a patent for the idea. You get a patent for a specific implementation of an idea. So, this company patented a specific way of doing location based advertising or something similar.

The company is suing Apple because they believe that Apple is using their specific method (or parts of their method) in iAds.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Perhaps we worry about these sorts of suits too much only because they are reported so often. We rarely hear about what the outcome was in most of these instances.

Studies show that the person claiming to be the 'patentor' wins less than 25% of the time (i.e., the supposed infringer wins 75% of the time) in such suits.

Moreover, the odds of the patentor win are correlated with the plaintiff's size and whether they are a corporation: large corporations such as Apple are more likely to win than smaller corporations or an individual.

Here's a cite: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...ract_id=960633
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

As has been stated many times before in patent suits, you do not get a patent for the idea. You get a patent for a specific implementation of an idea. So, this company patented a specific way of doing location based advertising or something similar.

The company is suing Apple because they believe that Apple is using their specific method (or parts of their method) in iAds.

I briefly outlined their methods in my previous post. They seem unrelated to how the companies they sued deal out location based advertising. Given that they sued so many companies, I can't help but think that this is anything but patent trolling. They must have hit some rough financial waters. Maybe they do have case, I only skimmed their patent and I'm not an expert, but it certainly doesn't look like they do.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The complaint was filed last week in a U.S. District Court in the Southern District of California.

Wonder what took so long to file?
  • Reply 19 of 37
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:

I briefly outlined their methods in my previous post. They seem unrelated to how the companies they sued deal out location based advertising. Given that they sued so many companies, I can't help but think that this is anything but patent trolling. They must have hit some rough financial waters. Maybe they do have case, I only skimmed their patent and I'm not an expert, but it certainly doesn't look like they do.

We must have posted at about the same time, as yours about the patent was not there when I posted.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

It appears that you're/the media are unaware that HTC also manufactures numerous handsets than run other (than Android) mobile operating systems.

Appearances can be deceiving. I am fully aware that HTC produces handsets that run WinMo and the like. If you search for Apple sues HTC, several of the "headlines" read Apple sues Google phone maker...

Apple sues Google apparently gets more clicks than Apple sues HTC.