AMD reveals plans to retire ATI graphics brand

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
AMD, the exclusive provider of discrete graphics chips in Apple's latest refresh of the Mac desktop lineup, will phase out the ATI graphics brand name this year.

AMD is prepared to make the change because it believes having two brands is unnecessary, and the company plans to offer both CPUs and GPUs combined in its forthcoming Fusion product, according to ZDNet. Existing products such as Radeon will maintain their names, but will be labeled as AMD products rather than ATI.

AMD said it conducted research that found its brand is stronger than ATI, and that consumer preference toward ATI triples when they are aware of the ATI-AMD merger. AMD acquired ATI for $5.4 billion in 2006.

Apple partners with AMD's rival, Intel, for all of the CPUs in its line of Macs. However, AMD and Apple do have a close relationship when it comes to graphics processing in the Mac lineup.

In July, Apple updated its Mac Pro and iMac desktops, and the new machines only offer ATI graphics. But soon, those same products will be labeled AMD.

AMD, in justifying the change, highlighted its relationship with Apple, noting that the company continues to "secure new design wins with major OEMs -- e.g. Apple iMac and Mac Pro." The company said it has the "momentum and data to make this change with confidence."

The chipmaker also said that with the AMD Fusion chip set to debut in the fourth quarter of 2010, it is "perfect timing" for the branding change. AMD said its "Ontario" model, which will be its first to offer a CPU and GPU in a combined package, will be a "watershed moment" for the company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AMD said its "Ontario" model, which will be its first to offer a CPU and GPU in a combined package, will be a "watershed moment" for the company.

Huh. A combined CPU and GPU. And a resurgent Mac marketplace. This could prove vereee interesteeeng....
  • Reply 2 of 54
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Could it be that Apple prompted the Intel move so they could offer AMD CPUs in future Mac products while not cutting too much of the revenue stream that Intel enjoys?
  • Reply 3 of 54
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Huh. A combined CPU and GPU. And a resurgent Mac marketplace. This could prove vereee interesteeeng....

Good pair of articles today about Intel's Sandy Bridge as well. Sounds like the gpu in one of the new i5s will be better (in most tests) than an ATI 5450. Yes that's an entry level card, but it showed good results at lower resolutions and quality settings. You won't be playing anything high end that way, but it might but the space needed to also fit a discrete card so their graphics switching solution can fit into 13" notebooks
  • Reply 4 of 54
    Smart Move, IMO.

People don't really care about ATI vis-a-vis nVidia. However, the AMD brand has a lot of loyalty and good will attached to it, because they have always been looked at as the David in front of the Goliath, Intel. They are also, quite rightfully, credited with making Intel move towards better chip designs after the disasters that was Pentium 4, and moving the industry towards 64 bit.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    I just got rid of a 5870 for a 480GTX. Too many issues with the 5870 on my machine. 2nd display corruption when viewing certain movie formats, crashes different games. Switch to nvidia relieved all those issues.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Smart Move, IMO.

People don't really care about ATI vis-a-vis nVidia. However, the AMD brand has a lot of loyalty and good will attached to it, because they have always been looked at as the David in front of the Goliath, Intel. They are also, quite rightfully, credited with making Intel move towards better chip designs after the disasters that was Pentium 4, and moving the industry towards 64 bit.

As far as graphic hardwares concerned, ATI has a heck lot more brand recognition than AMD. Especially in the descreet graphic cards market, people look for ATI, not AMD. This is going to cause very much unncessary confusion and errosion of value. Another stupid marketing move from AMD.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    ArtX has come a long way! Now they're part of AMD.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    the first video card I ever got was an ATI Radeon 32MB All in Wonder lol. That brings back some memories :/
  • Reply 9 of 54
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

As far as graphic hardwares concerned, ATI has a heck lot more brand recognition than AMD. Especially in the descreet graphic cards market, people look for ATI, not AMD. This is going to cause very much unncessary confusion and errosion of value. Another stupid marketing move from AMD.

I don't think so. ATI, while known in the graphics market, is a much lesser-known brand than AMD. This will actually help raise AMD's brand awareness in my opinion, as even Intel-based computers will many times contain AMD/ATI chips in them. This will put that branding side-by-side and help raise it into higher prominence.

All in all, I think this is a smart move.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In July, Apple updated its Mac Pro and iMac desktops, and the mew machines only offer ATI graphics. But soon, those same products will be labeled AMD.

Mew machines? Like the Pokemon?

In any case, I wonder if Apple will actually label their Radeon's as AMD parts. As those logo pictures in the article show, AMD is providing 2 sets of GPU logos, one with AMD branding and one without AMD branding specifically for OEMs who are using AMD GPUs with Intel CPUs to avoid conflicting AMD/Intel branding. Apple may well just stick to the AMD-less logo/branding and call them Radeons which are recognizable enough.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    To me, this just reaffirms my problems in recent years with ATI cards. Not as much of a problem with nVidia. However, since nVidia is left alone trying to do more with graphics chips, wouldn't be surprised to see them go away by being bought, and incorporated into that "big chip that has everything on it", and all us old guys will wax nostalgic about buying separate hard disc controller cards, wifi cards, ethernet cards, audio cards, video cards, etc, etc to show off our superfast new PC.

Just like cars, you can't tweak computers anymore once you make the purchase (not easily, anyway).
  • Reply 12 of 54
    I don't really but it. ATI does indeed have a strong brand name.

Reminds me of the whole Coors-Molson takeover. Yet another example of how foreign ownership is destroying Canada.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:

"vereee interesteeeng...."

Arte Johnson, Laugh-in reference?

Is the correct response, "You bet your sweet bippy?"

I wonder how big the club of fellow oldster Mac users is these days.

Here's a double whammy blast from the past. I had and ex whose friend retired in their youth because they were one of the original AOL grunts with stock that went through the roof. One of the things they bought to keep themselves amused since they won't have to work for the next 50 years of their life was one of the original amphibious ATVs from the old Banana Splits show. I was jealous. That's like being able to smoke ganja from the "magic flute" from the HR Puff -n-Stuff prop department.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Bravo on someone realizing the marketing brand should be AMD across the board.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    newtronnewtron Posts: 705member
    Quote:

Do you think that apple is going to upgrade the graphics in Macs? They have a lot of potential for vast improvements there. And it seems Apple is trying to finally get some traction in the gaming market.

Maybe we'll finally see good graphics?
  • Reply 16 of 54
    newtronnewtron Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

As far as graphic hardwares concerned, ATI has a heck lot more brand recognition than AMD.

From the story:

"AMD said it conducted research that found its brand is stronger than ATI, and that consumer preference toward ATI triples when they are aware of the ATI-AMD merger."
  • Reply 17 of 54
    WTH is a watershed moment?? why do people talk like this!
  • Reply 18 of 54
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    I had always secretly hoped they would rename the whole thing DAAMIT.

Darn.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayparry View Post

It means they get a bunch of cold water dumped on their heads.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayparry View Post

To cause consternation among people who write WTH.