CDMA inventor Qualcomm seeks 'iPhone developer guru'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    baba3baba3 Posts: 5member
    Honestly, I think if the iphone was available for every carrier would be untouchable. I say this because I'm french and here it is available to every carrier and iphone dominates the market, Android is relegated to cheap phone, in December 2009 79% of phone, not smartphone sold with a new plan was an iphone 3gs. Android does not start because many complain that the market is in English.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

cdmaOne was developed by Qualcomm and uses CDMA. CDMA is a broad term and was around a long time before cell phones (and cdmaOne, which is digital cell phone standard).

But whatever...

All you did is say exactly what I said, but added "But whatever...", was there a point to that?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

All you did is say exactly what I said, but added "But whatever...", was there a point to that?

You seemed to want to be argumentative and I'm not interested.

I made a simple statement; "Actually, CDMA was not invented in/during WWII. Spread spectrum patents issued during WWII are used as the basis for CDMA" which you responded with irrelevant info.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'm not. It's QUALCOMM, not Verizon.

QUALCOMM bulk of carrier numbers is outside the US. More importantly, they are talking about a future project [ala 18-24 months away].

This is speculation, by Appleinsider.

When Verizon iPhone hits next summer you will see I was right. Just because a project is a future project does not mean that there has not been any work on it. Perhaps they just need to put finishing touches on the current version, and the new hire will work on software 2.0 for the chip.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

You seemed to want to be argumentative and I'm not interested.

I made a simple statement; "Actually, CDMA was not invented in/during WWII. Spread spectrum patents issued during WWII are used as the basis for CDMA" which you responded with irrelevant info.

They were quite relevant actually, but as you said, you aren't interested
  • Reply 26 of 33
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

This is the first I'm hearing of such a lawsuit. Could you explain what that's actually about? What precisely are they trying to sue over and what chance do they have of winning?

Check out

The complete story behind Oracle vs Google
  • Reply 27 of 33
    This is about as close to irrefutable proof of a CDMA iPhone existing or at the very least about to exist. It doesn't mean too much regards to a Verizon iPhone per say but quite honestly Apple would be foolish to go to Sprint over Verizon. True this could also mean for the Chinese market as China Telecom will eventually have more CDMA users than Verizon but coupled with all the other chatter about a Verizon deal as well as the Apple-Google war and I'm sure it chaps Apple's ass that Verizon and Google have been getting close.

Jobs is no fool, he knows iPhone is reaching saturation on AT&T and that a big reason for the success of Android has been no Verizon iPhone. You know he wants to show/prove that once a VZW iPhone is available Android use will drop.

Also China Telecom's 4G network won't be ready for sometime where as Verizon will be deploying theres is deploying theres shortly. There's a good chance the 4G iPhone will be cross compatible with both AT&T and Verizon as a single unit by using Qualcomm's MDM9600 chipset. Although there could be an issue supporting AT&T 2-2.5G use using the MDM9600 which given the "There's a Map for that" issue could be mean there will be two different handsets.

Time will tell, but this is definitely good news for VZW folks who want an iPhone
  • Reply 28 of 33
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    There already is a CDMA iPhone -- the normal iPhone runs W-CDMA, which as you may realize is a Qualcomm invention. Verizon runs CDMA2000, also a Qualcomm invention. EVDO/HSPA is a higher level technology, but ultimately all of these technologies refer to the original Qualcomm patent.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Get the facts staright Qualcomm is not CDMA inventor. It owns US patent for CDMA as it got it in a sneaky way. The history of CDMA invention is from WWII.

Fast frequency hopping was invented by some Germans before WWII to be used in torpedo guidance. The design was brought to USA in an unusual way (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamar). CDMA uses frequency hopping, but that patent was expired by the time Qualcomm filed. CDMA, and particularly the Qualcomm patents, do much more than just fast frequency hopping.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Check out

The complete story behind Oracle vs Google

That one is a pretty miserable analysis of the situation, IMO. The idea that Google could pay higher damages than Microsoft was awarded is a joke.

Groklaw has a better write-up here:http://groklaw.net/article.php?story=20100813112425821
  • Reply 31 of 33
    I would think that if this position was related to working on a CDMA iPhone, the job description would include more job requirements for device driver and system type skills. This position sounds more like the department is creating or maintaining an iPhone app. Qualcomm does do a lot more than just CDMA & Snapdragon processors.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Get the facts staright Qualcomm is not CDMA inventor. It owns US patent for CDMA as it got it in a sneaky way. The history of CDMA invention is from WWII.

This is similar to the situation of first flight - no it was not Wright and no it was not on dunes of Kitty Hawk. It was in Connecticut almost two years before Wright by Whitehead and it was not some 800 feet jump but real flight for miles with monoplane.

Stop lying yourself at last!

(An Euro in the USA)

REGARDLESS THIS IS THE SMOKING GUN. They would be the one to MANUFACTURE if this was ever CREATED. Yes, you are correct. It was invented in ww2.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

Goodbye Android.

i love Android!