Mexico's Telcel claims iPhone 4 antenna hardware fix in the works

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An executive with Mexican carrier Telcel has suggested that Apple plans to release a revised iPhone 4 with a tweaked antenna design after the company's free case giveaway expires at the end of September.

Marco Quatorze, director of value added services at Telcel, said that his country will initially receive the same iPhone 4 model that was released in the U.S. and resulted in the "antennagate" controversy. But, in comments he made last week, and discovered by MacRumors, he claimed that revised hardware with an improved antenna design will become available after Sept. 30, when Apple's iPhone 4 Case Program expires.

It's likely that Quatorze's comments are merely speculation rather than inside information, as the notoriously secretive officials at Apple would not likely to share such information with a carrier partner. For example, earlier this year before the iPad was announced, an executive with France Telecom implied that Apple's forthcoming tablet device would have a webcam, a conclusion based on rumors and speculation.

When the iPhone 4 launched, users discovered that they could reduce the reception of the device and, in areas of weak reception, cause dropped calls by covering the bottom left of the handset. Apple was forced to hold a press conference in July and state that all phones experience reception issues when held incorrectly.

The company also announced the iPhone 4 Case program, through which free cases will be shipped to every iPhone 4 purchase made through Sept. 30. After the deadline, the company plans to reassess the situation and conclude whether or not it will continue the giveaway.

But Quatorze's comments, if they are in fact based on legitimate information and are not purely speculation, could suggest that Apple is quietly working on a hardware revision that it plans to release by the time the iPhone 4 Case Program concludes. Before the case giveaway was announced, various reports indicated that Apple was working on a hardware fix for the issue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    Oh no. Here we go again \
  • Reply 2 of 62
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Total BS IMO! Of all the Apple carriers a small (in comparison) Mexican carrier is privy to Apple's plans... ya right.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    Not going to happen. Apple still hasn't technically said the phone is flawed, only that many phones can be affected by signal attenuation. To release an updated phone would essentially be admitting the phone was flawed or defective, and they'd likely have to replace the phones of everyone who previously bought one and wants the "fixed" model.

-kap
  • Reply 4 of 62
    newtronnewtron Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It's likely that Quatorze's comments are merely speculation rather than inside information, as the notoriously secretive officials at Apple would not likely to share such information with a carrier partner.

This estimation of likelihood makes sense ONLY if the notoriously secretive officials at Apple would not be likely to share such information with ANYBODY.

Sheesh. As if none of the recent leaks ever happened. Yeah. As if.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaplanfx View Post

Not going to happen. Apple still hasn't technically said the phone is flawed, only that many phones can be affected by signal attenuation. To release an updated phone would essentially be admitting the phone was flawed or defective, and they'd likely have to replace the phones of everyone who previously bought one and wants the "fixed" model.

-kap

Totally Agree!
  • Reply 6 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Ireland's signature is full of shit.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The problem of blocking the antenna is an industry-wide problem, and if Apple truly has found a solution that would be remarkable. I think this Mexican is telling porkies.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    I'm sure that if there is a design issue, however minor it is, it will be designed out in a minor revision. I'm sure that previous iPhones have had minor revisions throughout their lives - a product that is being made in the millions each month is bound to get tweaks where it will save money or fix minor issues. I doubt that Apple will even mention it, however they achieve it.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii;

The problem of blocking the antenna is an industry-wide problem, and if Apple truly has found a solution that would be remarkable. I think this Mexican is telling porkies.

But blocking the signal is not the issue, the issue is detuning. Apple held the press conference and gave free cases to play it safe and reassure potential customers they would be looked after. They even say you can return it free of charge within 30 days, to clear themselves legally.

Detuning is not industry wide and it needs a case or a hardware fix. These guys are obsessive, Steve won't sleep right until they provide a hardware fix to remove that weak spot.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I'm not buying this rumor. As a new iPhone owner (almost 2weeks), I would definitely consider returning my phone if a fix to the signal loss issue looked likely. It is persistent enough to be a PITA, and I can only imagine the number of people who feel the same way. Apple would be flooded with returns of phones that are in the 30-day period.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    This is pretty thin gruel, even for an AI story. You guys are trying too hard to get those extra ten clicks a week. How about doing some Apple product satisfaction surveys instead?
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Total BS IMO! Of all the Apple carriers a small (in comparison) Mexican carrier is privy to Apple's plans... ya right.

iphone 4 antennae can pick up a surprising amount of chat south of the border, besides

wolfman jack on XERB!

to wit:

"i'm on a mexican radio

i wish i was in tiajuana

eating barbeque iguana

i take requests on the telephone

i'm on a wavelength far from home." -- stannard ridgeway, wall of voodoo
  • Reply 13 of 62
    Yes, Apple may piss people off with this improvement, but what are they to do? Not improve their product as soon as possible? And if so, how long is a good time to wait?

Also I ask: if you are one of those pissed off people then will you speak up with your wallet and not buy an iPhone next time?

Unfortunately Apple's got the upper hand--what can you do...we always make impetuous choices, we sometime try and save money and end up spending more....move on....it happens
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

America Movil (Telcel in Mexico) is one of the 3 or 4 largest mobile carriers in the world with subscribers in México, Brasil, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Argentina, Uruguay, Honduras, Paraguay, Chile and Perú.

Everything but "small in comparison"
  • Reply 15 of 62
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaplanfx View Post

To release an updated phone would essentially be admitting the phone was flawed or defective, and they'd likely have to replace the phones of everyone who previously bought one and wants the "fixed" model.

No they wouldn't. They could improve the design for any reason they want and wouldn't have to explain or replace anything.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Different problem. The problem actually relevant here is the problem caused by touching the antenna. Apple has many options to solve this, most falling far short of 'remarkable'. Putting the antenna back inside the case would be on obvious option, but I for one really like the design of the external antenna and it does seem to make it a more sensitive, better antenna. Putting it inside wouldn't be remarkable or even desirable. They could choose one of many coatings available. Most wouldn't be 'remarkable'. They could start packing a bumper into every iPhone 4 box. Again, not remarkable.

If they could solve the attenuation problem caused by wrapping your meatbox hands around any antenna, that would be remarkable. But that isn't the topic at hand.

You are right that Telcel is talking out of their asses though.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    That would be total BS, and it would piss a lot of people off who have bought the phone with the flawed antenna, that is if apple doesn't create a reasonable return policy.

I bet the Mexican version of Gray Powell is testing the new iPhone in a bar with his amigos.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    C'mon AI! Are you buying this shit? No way is Apple going to come out with a new revised phone so soon after launch. Do you know how many people that would piss off? Must be a slow news day huh?
  • Reply 19 of 62
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

No they wouldn't. They could improve the design for any reason they want and wouldn't have to explain or replace anything.

They could. But if they break their self-imposed cycle of annual refreshes and introduce a new model that just happens to address this issue, it isn't like people wouldn't know. The media would obviously put the question forward, was this refresh to address the antenna issues. If they remain silent or deny that it was, they will be crucified in the media and in public relations. If they admit that it is, they are going to face class action lawsuits from people demanding their iP4's get replaced.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roktheworld27 View Post

That would be total BS, and it would piss a lot of people off who have bought the phone with the flawed antenna, that is if apple doesn't create a reasonable return policy.

I bet the Mexican version of Gray Powell is testing the new iPhone in a bar with his amigos.

What right would they have to be pissed off when Apple gave them the chance to return their phones?