Mexico's Telcel claims iPhone 4 antenna hardware fix in the works

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A predictions are fine, too. It?s the stating a prediction or assumption as fact that I take issue with.

I think solipsism can be banned for his signature. Name calling is forbidden here.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    1. The Antenna design is a real issue. It makes the reception go crazy - all the time, which even makes the phone jump between 3G and GSM, which probably is the main reason why the battery time is so short on iPhone 4. I'm amazed.. battery time is about the same as with my 3 years old iPhone 1.

2. They know this, and I bet Steve Jobs is furious with the team/ guy responsible for the final decision on the antenna design, having to go up on stage and lie and tell us "it's a good design, everybody is having antenna issues, this is just common."

3. Chances are they'll get so many complaints when a revised version is introduced that they'll be forced by law to replace existing handsets. If so.. I think it makes sense to act fast.. to minimize damage, and with a method that can quickly replace the antenna on the existing models, and not having to change the production that much. Like, an identical shaped aluminum frame but with an inlay antenna or something like that.

4. Good luck.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    Quote:

A predictions are fine, too. It?s the stating a prediction or assumption as fact that I take issue with.

Annnnnd you have a problem with others stating and/or assuming facts??.... And you never state and/or assume as a fact anything on here, including that the ip4 hardware issue is a figment of our collective imaginations, rrrright.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    Quote:

Apple didn?t create this, it was in place, at least in the US, long before the iPhone came along.

If there is a new iPhone 4 coming out in October there I predict there will be class action lawsuits filed almost immediately. We may even hear about them that very day.

Aren?t we up to 50 countries now? And this only seemed to be an issue with the US, despite reports from most of the very same reviewers saying they got reception in places they never had it before. Seems to me that making some huge public deal about a new iPhone 4 just three months after its launch would be very, very costly to Apple?s bottom line.

why would there be lawsuits? as you say over and over again there is no problem with the 4 antenna. so if apple chooses to change the design of the iphone sooner rather than later whats it to you?
  • Reply 45 of 62
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Fortunately we will know in 2 months.

FYI:

September 30 is 30 days from today.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

FYI:

September 30 is 30 days from today.

Details
  • Reply 47 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

why would there be lawsuits? as you say over and over again there is no problem with the 4 antenna. so if apple chooses to change the design of the iphone sooner rather than later whats it to you?

Seriously, you can?t imagine why there would be a lawsuit? Maybe you should ask Sarah Jessica Parker to answer that one.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    newtronnewtron Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I think solipsism can be banned for his signature. Name calling is forbidden here.

He often crosses the line.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Tested the death grip thing while in a call... No call drop outs... the bars dropped by 1 after about 20 secs... nothing really noticeable occurred..

Was I just lucky?

• Reply 50 of 62
    Quote:

Seriously, you can?t imagine why there would be a lawsuit? Maybe you should ask Sarah Jessica Parker to answer that one.

the iphone bumper goes on the phone, not around your head. take it off it isn't helping you be clever....try again.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    You never know people. Telcel is not a little company. It is only owned by the richest man in the world Carlos Slim.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macboi View Post

Tested the death grip thing while in a call... No call drop outs... the bars dropped by 1 after about 20 secs... nothing really noticeable occurred..

Was I just lucky?

That is what you should have seen. Generally takes 15-20 seconds to show the drop in the bars, but that may just be how long the algorithm takes to reflect the change in signal strength. If you had been in a marginal coverage area, with 1 or 0 bars, then that drop in signal may have been enough to push you off. I have seen a max of 2 (maybe 3) bars drop. But that is when I at home on the edge of local 3G coverage and my bars can show 1-5 bars depending on where I am in the house, how I am holding the phone (not on the spot) and whether it is a full moon.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Apple didn?t create this, it was in place, at least in the US, long before the iPhone came along.

If there is a new iPhone 4 coming out in October there I predict there will be class action lawsuits filed almost immediately. We may even hear about them that very day.

Aren?t we up to 50 countries now? And this only seemed to be an issue with the US, despite reports from most of the very same reviewers saying they got reception in places they never had it before. Seems to me that making some huge public deal about a new iPhone 4 just three months after its launch would be very, very costly to Apple?s bottom line.

I can attest to the fact that it is possible to reproduce the signal drop in Canada. Hasn't caused a dropped call but it does show in the loss of bars. I don't think I have had any dropped calls at all in the 3 weeks I've had the iP4. My iPhone3G used to drop occasionally, but I attribute that to the network. I usually have the bumper on, but because it won't fit my old Apple iPod USB cable I use at work, I take it off frequently, but haven't really have a problem from it. It exists here, no question, but it hasn't caused any drops for me.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

They could. But if they break their self-imposed cycle of annual refreshes and introduce a new model that just happens to address this issue, it isn't like people wouldn't know. The media would obviously put the question forward, was this refresh to address the antenna issues. If they remain silent or deny that it was, they will be crucified in the media and in public relations. If they admit that it is, they are going to face class action lawsuits from people demanding their iP4's get replaced.

I don't agree. They already offered a 100% no questions asked refund or a free bumper. Those provisions are a tacit acknowledgment that there has been a problem for some users, those in weak signal areas and unable or unwilling to move their fingers a few millimetres away from the gap.

Easy thing to do, say free bumpers or a full refund for all phones bought until September 30th, and after September 30th no free bumpers or refund but a protective coating. Anyone getting angry or upset about such a sensible business decision really needs to get a life, not to mention a different cellular phone!
  • Reply 55 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

And you think this person was privvy to info that very, very few people inside Apple would even know about, because?

Well why else would they stop giving out bumpers suddenly? If the phone still had the issue people should still get the bumper right? So that's why I called because I'm planning on upgrading AFTER Sept. 30th but I don't want to have to pay extra for something that the phone needs to avoid the issue.

But yeah, the guy could just be blowing wind, but it makes sense to me that a fix would be in top priority so they don't have to keep supplementing with rubber parts.

Also everyone: just because they found a fix for the hand on the spot killing signal doesn't mean they found a fix for attenuation in general, just that they found a slight modification to their design that reduced it being caused in this manner.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I call BS for the following reasons:

Mexico will not be the initial launch market, which means that apple would first have to launch this in US. It has not. If apple plans to roll this out in mexico in a month it should already be launched here. Unless of course we will hear about this tomorrow.

Steve did not admit any fault during the press conference, he maintained that this is a problem with all phones and singling out iPhone 4 is unwise. I think that at least half a year should pass before any revision arrives for steve to keep face. Maybe in January.

Putting a free bumper in the box is cheaper then redesigning the antenna, something that will be done for next iteration.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    This is so biased. Users found if they held their phone in any manner, not just in one corner this happened. Also, this does not happy nearly as readily with other phones as with the iphone. Get real here folks.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    While the Mexican telco "seems" to be "privy" to iPhone information, someone ask about the white iPhones... If there is anything in Apple's repertoire that is "Magical", it is the disappearing act of these darn things...

Come out, come out, where ever you are... \
  • Reply 59 of 62
    Leave it to a carrier to spill the beans!
  • Reply 60 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

There probably wont be any antenna revision or recall. Apple Inc has done a fine job of distorting the truth and convincing everyone there is no antenna problem. And like Santa's elves, the Apple Insider forum is helping to spread the lies that the whole thing was "made up by bloggers."

No, my friends. There is a problem with the antenna and Apple needs to address it. Get out the Kleenex. There are going to be a lot of tears on this forum today. Truth always hurts the fanboys.

LOL... So the full five bar signal I'm always seeing on my iPhone 4 is a "lie"? Okay, whatever makes your day.