Palm unveils webOS 2.0, SDK available to developers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I'm kind of interested to see that as well. I've not played much with Web OS, but what I have seen I've quite liked, and as an Apple fan I would hope that some good quality competition will spur them on.

Web formats & HTML5 are going to drive apps of the future for all platforms. The day of a single platform controlled by Microsoft are over.

Microsoft's counter to HTML5 is silverlight, which they hope to get embedded in everything. Basically they are attempting same strategy they did with Windows and following in the footsteps of Adobe to try & own a piece of the web via a plugin. In short, they can't seem to do anything original.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

My kid won a free Pre Plus from a Palm promo booth at a festival. He used to have an iPhone. In his opinion WebOS blows away his old iPhone.

He does ultra-cool stuff with it. I'm interested in a WebOS tablet as well. It seems like it would be even better on a tablet than on a phone.

LOL....this is a total troll post if I've ever seen one.......kids, if you have never seen a troll post this is what it looks like......."The kid does Ultra-cool stuff with it (he uses all 4 apps!!)"........Palm sold out for a reason, unfortunately it was because it WASN"T "ultra cool".....LOL. Remember, Rubenstein and Jobs had a falling out, the Palm Pre was the lackluster prototype that Jobs did NOT want. The PRE-iPhone if you will. Go with IOS4 or Droid. Adobe bought Flash and HP bought.....well....WebOS...Yawn.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I dunno what to think really. WebOS was amazing, but the hardware flopped a bit. Palm could not build on the scale and rapidness of HTC. If they went in HTC instead perhaps Android would not be as huge right now.

That said HP phone does not sound very exciting to me, even with these "smart" stacks. I don't imagine many new developers will be lining up aside from those that made apps for current WebOS. It sucks, but I think people are pretty locked in with the apps they own, and moving to WebOS would not be as easy as it was when it first launched.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    WebOS is such a great OS. Too bad it's stuck in a bad device. With all of HP's resources and money, maybe they'll do wonders with WebOS.

Now that's a true multitasking. Just wished Apple thought of it first.

Great looking UI.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member
    I don't know how 'stacks' will work, but I actually liked the way they handled multitasking in their previous version. I will never give up my iPhone, but I would like to see a large improvement to iOS 4's multitasking, which is a bit convoluted in that you can scroll and see every app you ever launched since the phone was booted. That's just silly, its like an alternative view to all the pages of apps in one long horizontal scroll. Show me just the apps that are truly running a background thread, not everything else that's suspeded.

I also agree that notifications can use an update as well...
  • Reply 26 of 64
    newtronnewtron Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwj View Post

I really hope Apple delivers for iOS 5, and then I think they will easily have the most compelling product on the market

How many times was this statement made about iOS 4? Do we expect it to be said about iOS 7?

What was that PT Barnum quote again? Or was it Lincoln? Something about fooling some of the people all of the time?
  • Reply 27 of 64
    This looks really good to me... this is just developer stuff. The end user features have still not been released... I like webOS better than iOS. I get plenty of time with it on my iPod Touch. Apps are where it is at, but on my phone (me, personally), I only need a few location-based apps, like weather and news, and a good twitter and facebook app (the palm facebook app was total garbage until the last few releases).

For games, I do use my iPod touch, but I am using my iPod touch much less lately with an iPad and my Pre...

So, maybe Apple will need to 'wow' me tomorrow with the iPod touch announcement to get me to upgrade...
  • Reply 28 of 64
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwj View Post

YES!

I personally think that the iPhone's single greatest weakness is its notifications system, since it really hasn't progressed beyond WIndows-style dialogue boxes.

Happily, Apple has plenty of good models. webOS and Android both have solid notification systems. I really hope Apple delivers for iOS 5, and then I think they will easily have the most compelling product on the market

Apple just re-hired that dude who was responsible for the design of WebOS' notification system. I'm expecting a revamped and much improved notification for iOS soon, iOS5 more likely.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Because there was so little software available for the Mac?

Naw. I think that Apple is where it is today because the iPod was followed by the iPhone, and both were huge hits. They never did much as a computer company.

You forgot the iMac. then iPod, then phone and now the pad.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

(he uses all 4 apps!!)".

He reports that the app supply is fine. That was my biggest concern when he got it.

But pretty much every popular app seems to be avialable for it. He has no complaints in that area. Indeed, there seem to be lots of good free apps that are unavailable on the iPhone, like turn-by-turn GPS.

Are you aware that WebOS apps are available from a variety of sources? Do you think app availability is a static phenomenon? These things ebb and flow along with market share.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You forgot the iMac. then iPod, then phone and now the pad.

The iMac never got much market share. It still doesn't.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"webOS 2.0 automatically stacks cards for you when it makes sense, and you can also drag and drop cards to manage stacks for yourself," the company said.

Wonderful! I need more levels to dig through and more ways to waste time tweaking.

By the way, what are the odds of a straight flush?
  • Reply 33 of 64
    0yvind0yvind Posts: 55member
    Quote:

It certainly doesn't sound like anything that the Apple target customer would want.

Indeed, it sounds like almost the opposite of the Apple "App" approach. Palm's approach seems to group stuff based upon the object of your desire - if you have a document with a separate graphic embedded int it, the two objects will be stacked. Apple seems to group stuff based upon the app that they recon should be assign to the object.

Very different approaches. Palm's approach is very Microsoft-like.

Not exactly Microsoft-like... If what you say about WebOS is the case - it sounds to me more like the old "OpenDoc" philosophy that Apple was working on in the mid-90's. Document-centric, not app-centric. Anyone remember "Cyberdog" the Apple browser?

Would be exciting to know what Daniel Eran D thinks about this...
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:

My kid won a free Pre Plus from a Palm promo booth at a festival. He used to have an iPhone. In his opinion WebOS blows away his old iPhone.

He does ultra-cool stuff with it. I'm interested in a WebOS tablet as well. It seems like it would be even better on a tablet than on a phone.

Agreed.

I think Apple was foolish to not make a serious bid for Palm. It seems to me that it was most likely a "Steve decision" to only offer a paltry "take it or leave it" cash offer for just the patents. It's really the second best mobile operating system out there IMO.

A blending of Palm WebOS and iOS would have all of the advantages of both and none of the drawbacks of either. They also seem to each do rather well what the other does poorly so the blending would be both easy and complimentary (again, IMO).

HP is famous for squandering opportunities and ruining products so probably Apple will get away with it in the end, but this was not a good decision in my book.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Wonderful! I need more levels to dig through and more ways to waste time tweaking.

Then don't buy it. Apple makes drop dead simple products that you might enjoy better.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    I have a Palm Pre, and I can't wait for this to come out. I'm more excited about the Touchstone "Exhibition" and the "Just Type" feature, which from what I read seems more like QuickSilver than anything else, allowing us to do all sorts of quick things with out ever having to open an app. The stacks thing doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but the rest of what they are promising does impress me a lot.

I have an iPod Touch and the Palm Pre. Hands down, I'll take the webOS over the iOS any day. What the Palm Pre lacks in hardware, the OS greatly makes up for the flaws. The Palm devices will never outpace Apple iPhones in sales, but as long as Palm (er, HP) continues development, then I'm a happy customer.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 0yvind View Post

Not exactly Microsoft-like... If what you say about WebOS is the case - it sounds to me more like the old "OpenDoc" philosophy that Apple was working on in the mid-90's. Document-centric, not app-centric.

Not document centric. That is kind of the entire distinction - perhaps "intended task-centric"? Or "whatever you need to do what you want to do" centric? I'm thinking of their search function in particular with that last one.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I have an iPod Touch and the Palm Pre. Hands down, I'll take the webOS over the iOS any day. What the Palm Pre lacks in hardware, the OS greatly makes up for the flaws.

You sound just like my kid.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

I don't know how 'stacks' will work, but I actually liked the way they handled multitasking in their previous version. I will never give up my iPhone, but I would like to see a large improvement to iOS 4's multitasking, which is a bit convoluted in that you can scroll and see every app you ever launched since the phone was booted. That's just silly, its like an alternative view to all the pages of apps in one long horizontal scroll. Show me just the apps that are truly running a background thread, not everything else that's suspeded....

Regarding present iOS multi task funkiness and proposed solution - Exactly, agree, ditto, x2, concur
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Quote:

Because there was so little software available for the Mac?

Naw. I think that Apple is where it is today because the iPod was followed by the iPhone, and both were huge hits. They never did much as a computer company.

You completely missed my point, didn't you? Especially considering the point that you were making before.

(Not surprising, since you avoided addressing the substance of most my questions on the patent suit front).

Btw, the second part of your post is sheer nonsense.