New Apple TV with Netflix streaming to be unveiled Wednesday - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The new Apple TV, complete with Netflix Instant Watch capabilities, is set to be introduced at Apple's media event Wednesday, according to a new report.

Three anonymous sources reportedly told Bloomberg that the new Apple TV will include "programming from Netflix," which will be available as part of the new set top box platform from Apple. Like the current streaming options available for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, the Apple TV-based software would require a monthly subscription with the Netflix service.

The report also reiterated the rumor that the new device will cost just $99, which would be $130 less than the current Apple TV product.

The report did not indicate whether the Netflix functionality would be built-in to the new Apple TV, or it if will be available via the App Store as it is for the iPhone and iPad. Recent rumors have suggested that the new Apple TV, perhaps dubbed iTV, will run the iOS operating system and have access to the App Store.

While Apple is widely expected to introduce a new, smaller iPod nano, and an iPod touch with two cameras and a Retina Display, the awaited Apple TV update was considered less of a certainty. However, the latest report would suggest the hardware is likely to appear.

Apple's "special event" will begin Wednesday at 10 a.m. Pacific Time, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will have full live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    Roku will be bummed.
  • Reply 2 of 69
    It's a little weird that evert device in the house can stream Netflix: TV, Blu-ray, iPhone, iPad, computer, my watch, eyelids, ice dispenser... hell, even my dog will stream Netflix soon. Too bad most new releases aren't available when the DVD/BD is.
  • Reply 3 of 69
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

hell, even my dog will stream Netflix soon.

I am pretty sure my dog can stream netflix.
  • Reply 4 of 69
    boy, it didn't take long for AI to pilfer this news off engadget.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    This must be true. I just bought a Roku box yesterday
  • Reply 6 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Too bad most new releases aren't available when the DVD/BD is.

Too bad recent releases aren't available for streaming, period. While I like the Netflix streaming service, the selection so far is pitiful.
  • Reply 7 of 69
    troehltroehl Posts: 31member
    I think what this rumor is saying is that the iTV will be a small box running a version of iOS that will support apps. In other words, it won't by itself stream Netflix movies but I bet Netflix will have an app ready to go for the new device that will stream it's movies.

Think of it like an iPod Touch without the screen but with HDMI out. You will be able to buy/download apps and run them on your TV set. Take away the touch screen and battery and it's seems very reasonable to make the device for the rumored $100. The only real question is how the box will be controlled... I don't think an Apple Remote is going to cut it and requiring a separate iPod Touch or iPhone to control it makes it a much more expensive device than at first glance...
  • Reply 8 of 69
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    lets see support a competitor???

why not apple BUY netflix that makes more sense

apple has the muscle to make this happen doesn't need netflix

roku doesn't have apps,

everything has netflix streaming including new TV;s and bluray everything

isn't necessary, why garbage up ATV?

app store already has netflix (which on my 3g is buggy, slow, and crashes) as above states well

its another way of pushing stocks
  • Reply 9 of 69
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

Too bad recent releases aren't available for streaming, period. While I like the Netflix streaming service, the selection so far is pitiful.

Haven't you heard? Streaming is the future! And in the future, we'll all just watch VHS-quality streams of unpopular movies no cable channel or broadcast network is willing to pay for the right to air. It'll be magical!
  • Reply 10 of 69
    Wow, a "me too!" feature....<yawn>.
  • Reply 11 of 69
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Haven't you heard? Streaming is the future! And in the future, we'll all just watch VHS-quality streams of unpopular movies no cable channel or broadcast network is willing to pay for the right to air. It'll be magical!

its already here and i have 156 channels to prove it

basically most families would do better with alacart cable or sat,

we watch perhaps 10 channels the rest is just to overcharge the consumer
  • Reply 12 of 69
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troehl View Post

I think what this rumor is saying is that the iTV will be a small box running a version of iOS that will support apps. In other words, it won't by itself stream Netflix movies but I bet Netflix will have an app ready to go for the new device that will stream it's movies.

Think of it like an iPod Touch without the screen but with HDMI out. You will be able to buy/download apps and run them on your TV set. Take away the touch screen and battery and it's seems very reasonable to make the device for the rumored $100. The only real question is how the box will be controlled... I don't think an Apple Remote is going to cut it and requiring a separate iPod Touch or iPhone to control it makes it a much more expensive device than at first glance...

Maybe the 3cm touch screen that is rumored to be for the 6th gen iPod nano is actually for the new iTV remote?
  • Reply 13 of 69
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Quote:

The quality of Netflix streaming is better than many of the digital cable channels...
  • Reply 14 of 69
    newtronnewtron Posts: 705member
    Quote:

Will I be able to subscribe to that?
  • Reply 15 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

The quality of Netflix streaming is better than many of the digital cable channels...

Agreed. Netflix HD streaming is good quality. It's not blu-ray but close enough for me...better than standard DVD.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    It's looking likely that I will be proven wrong tomorrow, but I still find the ITV rumour fishy. Especially as it emanates from Bloomberg. Those looking for a disappointment may just have one.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    Any rumors out there in the ethers regarding the status of current models of the device? With this new upgrade to a streaming model and different OS, will present AppleTVs be just another plastic and metal sculpture resting on the shelf of technological landfill?
  • Reply 18 of 69
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:

"Bitter, party of one."
  • Reply 19 of 69
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I wonder if the current AppleTV will be upgradable to the new iOS? I think its an intel Atom inside
  • Reply 20 of 69
    This Bloomberg piece has a good explanation of why the networks have been reluctant to provide content for a cable-killer subscription package:

Quote:

A subscription service with Apple would have jeopardized the TV networks? chances of getting higher retransmission fees from TV-system operators, RBC Capital?s Bank said. The four big broadcast networks -- Fox, NBC, CBS and ABC -- receive about $250 million a year in so-called retransmission fees industrywide, he said. That number will balloon to several billion dollars within five years, Bank said.

?If you?re running a TV network, you don?t want to upset the existing ecosystem broadly by starting a rival subscription service with Apple,? he said. ?You want to look for ways to drive incremental revenue.?