Palm unveils webOS 2.0, SDK available to developers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    I'd very much like to see Palm do well. They seem to make more of an effort to do good stuff than - pick an easy target - Microsoft for example.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

I'd very much like to see Palm do well. They seem to make more of an effort to do good stuff than - pick an easy target - Microsoft for example.

You realize that Palm is now HP, right?
  • Reply 43 of 64
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Then don't buy it. Apple makes drop dead simple products that you might enjoy better.

Oh, wait, you mean WebOS doesn't run on Apple products? Stupid me.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Btw, the second part of your post is sheer nonsense.

I think he's making a lot of sense. This is not a dig at Apple or anything but how the company that owned around 4% of the market doing much? Yes, Apple made great contribution to computer world. Nobody's denying that. I'm kind of LOL when I just saw, lately (from Youtube), that Apple invented Dock on desktop, my most favorite feature in Windows 7, as long as 10 years ago. But was anyone apart from people in Mac community care? Absolutely not. The Mac sale that exploded at that time was more likely due to the fact the computer market has grown exponentially because of the internet.

iPod, and subsequently iPhone, is the product that people outside Mac community accept and thinks it's cool to own. It raise brand acceptance and recognition that Apple make great products, and help grow Apple sales all around the world.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

iPod, and subsequently iPhone, is the product that people outside Mac community accept and thinks it's cool to own. It raise brand acceptance and help grow Apple sales all around the world.

Wait a minute? You?re saying they Apple?s customers are simply accepting these devices and think they are cool to own but don?t actually use them or like them?
  • Reply 46 of 64
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

The iMac never got much market share. It still doesn't.

..And yet Apple get's the lions share of the profit.

Ask Acer what they would rather have - millions and millions of sales of netbooks and low margin PC's, or Apple's balance sheet.

HP has spoken - their acquisition of the WebOS is a pretty strong indicator they have been paying attention to Apple. It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off and connect the dots.

If market share is your primary indicator of success, your standards are pretty darn low.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 0yvind View Post

it sounds to me more like the old "OpenDoc" philosophy that Apple was working on in the mid-90's. Document-centric, not app-centric. Anyone remember "Cyberdog" the Apple browser?

OpenDoc was the most valuable thing Apple lost when the NeXT people invaded \ It had lots of potential. Microsoft has been dabbling in those concepts with WinFS and a decade later they still haven't delivered on what Apple had in the '90s...
  • Reply 48 of 64
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wait a minute? You’re saying they Apple’s customers are simply accepting these devices and think they are cool to own but don’t actually use them or like them?

No, they're accepting Apple make great products. I'm not sure about "liking them" part because I'm still waiting for my first Apple product (either iPad or iPhone) but looking at iPod and iPhone dominance I'd say they're more likely love them.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

No, they're accepting Apple make great products. I'm not sure about "liking them" part because I'm still waiting for my first Apple product (either iPad or iPhone) but looking at iPod and iPhone dominance I'd say they're more likely love them.

Okay, now I understand.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr underhill View Post

if i was going to commit sin this would be the one i'd go for.

Of all the competitors to ios, webos appears to stick to the principle of form follows function.

Looking forward to the tablet.

Deleted: duplicate
  • Reply 51 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

If i was going to commit sin this would be the one i'd go for.

Of all the competitors to iOS, WebOS appears to stick to the principle of form follows function.

Looking forward to the tablet.

I agree!

• Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:

How many times was this statement made about iOS 4? Do we expect it to be said about iOS 7?

What was that PT Barnum quote again? Or was it Lincoln? Something about fooling some of the people all of the time?

I think it was PT Barnum... and the quote was: "There's a troll born every minute!"

• Reply 53 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You realize that Palm is now HP, right?

Yeah, I know...

Here's hoping they don't kill a functioning self-sustaining good thing like the morons in Redmond did with the Golden Goose, I mean, with Danger's Sidekick.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ows_phone.html
  • Reply 54 of 64
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Good to see WebOS developing. It looks like a really well designed system, less chaotic than Android with some good ideas and concepts. HP should be able to take advantage of it over the next few years, I hope they keep the Palm division at arms length so that large corporate company politics don't drag it down and destroy the good stuff it has.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I'm ready for my HP tablet running Web OS...

LOL - right after I get my enema...
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Some interesting ideas. I would think it would give the Android folks a new place to get ideas from since they don't mind things being a bit disjointed. But really, all in all a nice dog and pony show for Beta-ware.

Also find the timing very interesting as Palm has always tried to one-up Apple. I don't think anything revealed here will steal the thunder from the Apple showcase tomorrow. I suspect Apple has a few tricks up it's sleeve. If the damn parts and case suppliers would keep their mouths shut it could even be an exciting event.

True idiots - they seem to enjoy timing their announcements during a period when they will be drowned out because of Apple's own. How stupid can you really be?
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Quote:

My kid won a free Pre Plus from a Palm promo booth at a festival. He used to have an iPhone. In his opinion WebOS blows away his old iPhone.

He does ultra-cool stuff with it. I'm interested in a WebOS tablet as well. It seems like it would be even better on a tablet than on a phone.

LOL - the trolls jump in. And please do tell us how it blows the iPhone away when they have no apps? Or did you really mean it just blows...
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

wow, i've gotta compliment everyone in this forum for being mature about the competitions offering. There are no mindless posts about how anything done by anyone other than apple is garbage. Good competition can only force Apple to provide more improvements to iOS.

I'm sorry, but didn't you notice that this is in fact an apple focused website? In fact, what you failed to notice is that all the paid trolls are jumping in. Wake up!
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Quote:

The iMac never got much market share. It still doesn't.

Wrong again fool! It dominates the portable / laptop market in terms of total revenue and profits in the premium end of computers by far. Really, what rocks do you people crawl out from under?
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I have a Palm Pre, and I can't wait for this to come out. I'm more excited about the Touchstone "Exhibition" and the "Just Type" feature, which from what I read seems more like QuickSilver than anything else, allowing us to do all sorts of quick things with out ever having to open an app. The stacks thing doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but the rest of what they are promising does impress me a lot.

I have an iPod Touch and the Palm Pre. Hands down, I'll take the webOS over the iOS any day. What the Palm Pre lacks in hardware, the OS greatly makes up for the flaws. The Palm devices will never outpace Apple iPhones in sales, but as long as Palm (er, HP) continues development, then I'm a happy customer.

They rename search "Just type it" and you get excited???? You really need to get a life.