New Apple TV, iPods to debut today, won't ship immediately - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple will introduce a new Apple TV and fourth-generation iPod touch today, but none of the products introduced at the company's keynote will ship immediately, a new rumor claims.



Via its official Twitter account, Australian MacWorld revealed Wednesday the alleged product code for the Apple TV refresh set to be introduced. It is claimed that the code is USA MC572 LL/A, but the product is not yet shipping.



A source also told the publication that "it doesn't look like anything will be shipping immediately." That person also indicated that a fourth-generation iPod touch is "definitely coming."



On Tuesday, AppleInsider first reported that the new, smaller iPod nano will not ship immediately either. The new device will be built around a 1.7-inch display, and will retain the 30-pin iPod dock connector.



Reports have indicated that Apple is set to introduce its new Apple TV, perhaps, running the iOS operating system, at today's event. Bloomberg reported Tuesday that the new set top box will ship with the ability to stream instant content available from Netflix.



Apple has also allegedly brokered deals with major networks Fox and ABC, which will allow 99-cent rentals of TV episodes through iTunes.



In April, Australian Macworld correctly stated that Apple would release new MacBook Pros. In May, it revealed a part number it believed would be tied to a MacBook Air refresh, but instead turned out to be an updated MacBook.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 43
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Because of this





    I expect them to be available, at least online, on the 8th though.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    ... Apple has also allegedly brokered deals with major networks Fox and ABC, which will allow 99-cent rentals of TV episodes through iTunes....



    For the life of me I cannot figure out why this little nugget keeps getting repeated again and again as though it was actually something good.



    99 cent TV show rentals my be cheaper than what they offer now, but it's still a horrendous deal. Anyone who avails themselves of the opportunity (unless it's some kind of dire emergency) is a fool.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    If the new iOS based Apple TV only runs existing iOS apps (extremely unlikely), it could ship immediately. If, like the iPad, it requires a new SKD, we're more likely to see the pre-release SDK released today and the device shipping in a few months, after developers get their apps together.



    Just like the iPad announcement/release.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I don't get the Netflix tie in. Doesn't that ruin the iTunes movie rental model? Or maybe Apple is buying Netflix? Either way it doesn't yet make sense to me.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post


    If the new iOS based Apple TV only runs existing iOS apps (extremely unlikely), it could ship immediately. If, like the iPad, it requires a new SKD, we're more likely to see the pre-release SDK released today and the device shipping in a few months, after developers get their apps together.



    Just like the iPad announcement/release.



    and will apps run native on my 1080p TV or run at 720p, or iPad's 1024x768?

    i'm not a programmer - does the SDK currently allow scalable graphics or just support the three existing iOS resolutions used?
  • Reply 5 of 43
    ""The source also said that it doesn't look like anything will be shipping immediately, and 4th gen touches are definitely coming too."" - Article



    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...3&postcount=24



    ""So it appears that this might be a unique ipod announcement where not many of the items are available immediately.""
  • Reply 7 of 43
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    I can see this being true, even though rumors persisting when the actual event is merely hours away amuses me to no end.



    Hopefully we will see an iTunes X release today and the iPods etc.. released in a week or so.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post


    and will apps run native on my 1080p TV or run at 720p, or iPad's 1024x768?



    Your TV takes whatever source you feed into it and scales it to 1080p. It may display that it's receiving a 720p signal, but it still has to be scaled to fit the native resolution of the display.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post


    I don't get the Netflix tie in. Doesn't that ruin the iTunes movie rental model? Or maybe Apple is buying Netflix? Either way it doesn't yet make sense to me.



    Streaming Netflix is a "me too" feature. I already have two boxes that do that very well (plus an iPhone app), won't be a sales point for this new Apple box, at least for me.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    For the life of me I cannot figure out why this little nugget keeps getting repeated again and again as though it was actually something good.



    99 cent TV show rentals my be cheaper than what they offer now, but it's still a horrendous deal. Anyone who avails themselves of the opportunity (unless it's some kind of dire emergency) is a fool.



    How is it a horrendous deal? If I can skip cable and only rent the shows I want to watch, I guarantee you I'll be coming out ahead of someone who's subscribing to HD digital cable or satellite service with a HD PVR. And I get little to no repeat viewing out of the TV I watch, so why would I want to spend more just to archive data I don't want?



    Just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    The only reason I can see for the delay would be either not enough product in stock, or they just didn't want any leaks.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post


    and will apps run native on my 1080p TV or run at 720p, or iPad's 1024x768?

    i'm not a programmer - does the SDK currently allow scalable graphics or just support the three existing iOS resolutions used?



    Oversimplification:



    The iOS and Mac OS X, essentially support unlimited size -- you just need the RAM to buffer (and manipulate) what you are displaying. The streaming API determines what size(s) to stream based on target device and bandwidth.



    You may have a target device with a size n, and, say 3 available source streams of size a, b and n.



    The streamer will try to maintain a stream of size n, but gracefully fall back to size, b, then a-- if the bandwidth is limited. As bandwidth improves, the size is upgraded, accordingly.



    In any case, what is displayed remains the same size-- it is just a smaller size scaled up (contains coarser pixels).



    .
  • Reply 13 of 43
    2 hours to go before we know for sure.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    Your TV takes whatever source you feed into it and scales it to 1080p. It may display that it's receiving a 720p signal, but it still has to be scaled to fit the native resolution of the display.



    Also FYI if you watch ABC or FOX on cable or OTA you only get a 720p signal anyway because that's what they broadcast in. The quality should be on par with the cable signal you get now. (assuming you have enough bandwidth)
  • Reply 15 of 43
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post


    Streaming Netflix is a "me too" feature. I already have two boxes that do that very well (plus an iPhone app), won't be a sales point for this new Apple box, at least for me.



    Very few people at all have boxes that stream Netflix, let alone multiples. Early adopters forget that the vast majority of people still have no more than a cable box and dvd player, if that.

    That said, I too find the Netflix addition puzzling but welcome.

    Too often I have to tell my family, 'oops... guess ATV doesn't have that movie'. Latest was Bottle Shock. What I'm not sure of is whether Netflix is that much better. From what I understand, their streaming selection is equally crippled.



    None of this is the fault of Apple or Netflix... its all on the providers who would rather go out of business than lose control.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post


    I don't get the Netflix tie in. Doesn't that ruin the iTunes movie rental model? Or maybe Apple is buying Netflix? Either way it doesn't yet make sense to me.



    Some people want a subscription service, and some people won't. If you take Apple at their word that the whole iTunes and appStore architecture is primarily a driver for hardware, then why wouldn't apple provide a product which allows people to access content in whatever way works for them?



    Doesn't the value proposition for the appleTV increase exponentially if you can get content from iTunes, Hulu+, Netflix, ABC app, etc., etc...?
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post


    and will apps run native on my 1080p TV or run at 720p, or iPad's 1024x768?



    I STRONGLY doubt that the 1080p would be supported.

    Most HDTV installed based is 720p only. Affordable 1080p is only 1 year old.

    Also, unless you have a 55" screen (at 10ft) or are sitting 5 feet away from your TV (32"), 1080p has no added value over 720p (your eye can make out pixels, like on the iPhone 4 Retina Display at 1 feet).

    At last, 1080p requires more memory and computing power than 720p.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post


    i'm not a programmer - does the SDK currently allow scalable graphics or just support the three existing iOS resolutions used?



    You don't target screen sizes, you target devices : the iPhone/iTouch or the iPad.

    The iPad happened to be able to load and display iPhone/iTouch apps.

    I think the AppleTV will be a new device category.



    Now, I STRONGLY doubt that the AppleTV would be able to load iPhone/iTouch and iPad apps.



    1st, displaying those would be a nightmare.

    You can't rotate your TV from landscape to portrait.

    Also, a flat TV is 16/9 while iPad is 4/3 and iPhone is 3/2. iPad and iPhone are rather close while TV is much wider.



    And most important, on touchscreen devices, you directly interact with the content displayed. You can't do that on a TV. You'll need a remote control and touch based UI won't work with that.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post


    I don't get the Netflix tie in. Doesn't that ruin the iTunes movie rental model? Or maybe Apple is buying Netflix? Either way it doesn't yet make sense to me.



    Apple is much more interested in selling hardware and extending their ecosystem than selling video rentals. Video rentals are high volume/low margin, Apple hardware is moderate volume/huge margins. So if they can make the iPad more attractive with the Kindle app, or the iTV more attractive with Netflix it is a win-win (and on the other end, Amazon wants to sell ebooks, not Kindles, and Netflix wants more distribution channels, not a hardware business). If they take little or no profit from the content, the content is ultimately cheaper, and the device that provides the cheap content is more attractive.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post


    The only reason I can see for the delay would be either not enough product in stock, or they just didn't want any leaks.



    Another possibility-- they want to get the SDK into the hands of all developers before the product delivers.



    My intuition tells me that the iTV SDK will be available today, and iTV device delivery on Sept 23.



    iPods, maybe sooner, with current iOS 4.



    I also hope that the iPad iOS 4 SDK release will be today (maybe combined with iTV) and both available by Sept 23.



    .
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post


    If the new iOS based Apple TV only runs existing iOS apps (extremely unlikely), it could ship immediately. If, like the iPad, it requires a new SKD, we're more likely to see the pre-release SDK released today and the device shipping in a few months, after developers get their apps together.

    Just like the iPad announcement/release.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Another possibility-- they want to get the SDK into the hands of all developers before the product delivers.

    My intuition tells me that the iTV SDK will be available today, and iTV device delivery on Sept 23.



    This is EXACTLY what I wanted to say.
Sign In or Register to comment.