Apple announces new iPod nano with multi-touch display

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple's new iPod nano will have a tiny multi-touch display that allows users to scroll through their music and use features such as FM radio and Nike+.

The new iPod nano, which had been rumored for weeks, was confirmed Wednesday by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs. He boasted that the new device is almost half as small and half as light as its predecessor.

"It's so small, we're able to put a clip on it too, so it's instantly wearable," he said.

Users can swipe through to choose icons including music playlists, artists and Genius mixes. It also has FM radio, podcasts, and the ability to view photos.

Like on other iOS devices, users can move icons and drag them to different pages. The device also allows users to scroll as they do on the iPhone or iPod touch.

The device includes hard volume buttons, voiceover, Nike+ and a pedometer. It works in 29 languages. Multi-touch input can also be used to rotate the screen.

It will be available in six colors, $149 for the 8GB model, and $169 for the 16GB model. The internal battery provides users with up to 24 hours of music playback on a single charge.

"This is the biggest reinvention of the iPod nano since its debut in 2005, and we think users are going to love it," Jobs said in a press release. "Replacing the click wheel with our Multi-Touch interface has enabled us to shrink the iPod nano into an amazingly small design that is instantly wearable with its built-in clip."

iPod nano also features "Shake to Shuffle," giving music lovers the ability to shake their iPod nano to shuffle to a new song in their music library. With its built-in FM radio, iPod nano lets you listen to your favorite radio stations, and live pause lets you pause and resume playing your favorite FM radio shows without missing a beat.

Features:

Multi-touch display: The best things in life have a soundtrack, and that’s where iPod nano shines. The Multi-Touch display lets you experience your music in a new way. Tap to play anything you want to hear. Swipe the Home screen to browse your music by songs, albums, artists, playlists, genres, or composers. You can even rearrange the icons on your Home screen so your music is organized just how you like.

Clip-on design: With the new built-in clip, you can walk, run, ride, or dance with your favorite songs on your sleeve (or pocket, jacket, or bag). The album art of the song you’re listening to fits perfectly on the display.

24-hour battery life: The built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery gives you up to 24 hours of nonstop music. So when you clip on an 8GB or 16GB iPod nano, you’ll have plenty of tunes to make it through your commute, your workout, and beyond.

Shake to Shuffle: Now for something completely random. Give iPod nano a shake and it shuffles to a different song in your music library. Shake to Shuffle is perfect for when you’re not in any particular music mood. You never know what you’re going to hear, and you’ll always be pleasantly surprised.

Genius Mixes: Say you’re listening to a song you love and you want to stay in the groove. Just tap Genius. It finds other songs on your iPod nano that go great together and makes a Genius playlist for you. For more song combinations you wouldn’t have thought of yourself, create Genius Mixes in iTunes and sync the ones you like to your iPod nano. Then tap the Genius Mixes icon and rediscover songs you haven’t heard in a while — or find music you forgot you even had.

FM Radio with Live Pause: Ride the airwaves on iPod nano. The FM tuner shows the artist, song, or program you’re listening to. Just tap to see the radio controls, flick the radio dial to change stations, and tap to set your favorites.

Fitness: The new iPod nano design actually helps keep you fit. It’s portable and wearable, which makes it runnable, walkable, and workout-able. Clip it on and control your music with just a tap or swipe of a finger, so you can stay focused without fumbling around. For your run, walk, or trip to the gym, a little iPod nano goes a long way.

Technical Specifications

Size and weight:

Height: 1.48 inches (37.5 mm)

Width: 1.61 inches (40.9 mm)

Depth: 0.35 inch (8.78 mm) including clip

Weight:0.74 ounces (21.1 grams)

Volume: 0.614 cu. inch (10,056 cu. mm) including clip

Capacity: 8GB or 16GB flash drive2

Sensor: Accelerometer

Environmental requirements:

Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)

Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)

Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Environmental Status Report:

Arsenic-free display glass

BFR-free

Mercury-free

PVC-free

Recyclable aluminum enclosure

Smaller, more compact packaging (45% smaller, 46% lighter)

Display:

1.54-inch (diagonal) color TFT display

240-by-240-pixel resolution

220 pixels per inch

Audio playback:

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz

Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

User-configurable maximum volume limit

FM radio:

Regional settings for Americas, Asia, Australia, Europe, and Japan

Live Pause feature for pausing a radio broadcast and rewinding (within a 15-minute buffer)

Headphones:

Earphones

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz

Impedance: 32 ohms

Battery and power:

Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery

Up to 24 hours of music playback when fully charged

Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter (sold separately)

Fast-charge time: about 1.5 hours (charges up to 80% of battery capacity)

Full-charge time: about 3 hours

Comments

• Reply 1 of 117
    Hmmm...... Did it seem like it could not play video!?
  • Reply 2 of 117
    For that money I can buy a cell phone that gives me so much more!!!
  • Reply 3 of 117
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SaltWater View Post

Including a $100 a month additional charge for cell service!
  • Reply 4 of 117
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

... sure - With A Contract.

The new iPod Touch is clearly a landmark device, and I'll be ordering a 64gb in a matter of minutes.
  • Reply 5 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmmm...... Did it seem like it could not play video!?

On a screen that small, I don't think so. Don't take my word for it, we'll find out when the page comes back up on their site.

If they didn't allow video, it wouldn't surprise me since they want to push more people to the iPod Touch (and more so iPhone)
  • Reply 6 of 117
    Quote:

And I was called Tekstud just a few moments ago in another thread...
  • Reply 7 of 117
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    No Video, No camera? WTF?
  • Reply 8 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

... sure - With A Contract.

The new iPod Touch is clearly a landmark device, and I'll be ordering a 64gb in a matter of minutes.

I won't believe you unless you post like 4000 pictures with all your devices yet AGAIN. This time I WANT TO SEE THE IPOD TOUCH ha ha ah ha

Cheers mate... Seriously, enjoy your gadgets =D
  • Reply 9 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You're not supposed to buy the iPod shuffle or nano, didn't you get the memo? iPod touch or bust, baby!
  • Reply 10 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1 I was very wrong about this being the new Shuffle, though they did move the Nano closer to the Shuffle in many ways. I don’t care what they call it, it’s exactly the SuperShuffle I’ve been wanting.

2) They clearly want the Touch to be the video player and camera iPod. I forget you suggested that in another thread, but kudos.

3 )It’s still speculation this runs iOS, but I don’t think anything else would make sense.
  • Reply 11 of 117
    FM Radio? How low they can go?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Including a $100 a month additional charge for cell service!

No, prepaid.
  • Reply 12 of 117
    if they took away FM people would complain too. Its nice for people who go to gyms where you have to tune in to a radio station to hear the TVs.

This is a great super-shuffle I hate using my iphone at the gym, I have to swap cases (hard case to arm band), and it always seems to fall. Ill be getting this.
  • Reply 13 of 117
    Wow, this looks like a tiny little iPad. Cute!!
  • Reply 14 of 117
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

FM Radio? How low they can go?

Keep up! Previous gen had FM radio too.
  • Reply 15 of 117
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Ok, so same prices (I think, don't recall the exact price of the previous model) for a much smaller screen, no camera, and no video playback (apparently)? Should have at least kept the same screen size as the previous gen so you can see more than 3 lines at a time in the scroll lists! And the LCD on my camera is twice as big as this screen. Why would I ever want to look at photos on a 1.7" screen?
  • Reply 16 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ortal View Post

if they took away FM people would complain too. Its nice for people who go to gyms where you have to tune in to a radio station to hear the TVs.

I?m sure there are still plenty out there but every gym I?ve been to has had places to plug your headphones in right at that equipment.

Quote:

This is a great super-shuffle I hate using my iphone at the gym, I have to swap cases (hard case to arm band), and it always seems to fall. Ill be getting this.

SuperShuffle is right!
  • Reply 17 of 117
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    This is going to be my new watch
  • Reply 18 of 117
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I think they've made it worse. I welcome multitouch, but they should have kept the screen same size (tall and skinny). We'll see if it will sell as well as the now "old" nano.
  • Reply 19 of 117
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I guarantee this won't sell like the old nano. Runners liked it for the click wheel, the big screen, etc. You know how hard it is going to be to read this thing in an arm band (I have a nano 2gen, i know). It needs to be somewhat visible to change settings while running. How in the hell do you pause the workout while running when you come to a stop light? Apple failed on so many levels here. I'm buying the old one. Lets not even get into the fact they STILL haven't upped the capacity. It's been 16gb max for the last 3 gens.
  • Reply 20 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

It's a music player...we do not need a camera on it.