Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs showed off "one more hobby" Wednesday, with a newly redesigned Apple TV that costs less than half of the price of its predecessor -- $99.

The new Apple TV has a built-in power supply, HDMI, optical audio, Ethernet, and Wi-Fi, all packed into a device that is a quarter of the size of the previous generation hardware.

"It's a fourth the size," Jobs said. "You can hold it in the palm of your hand."

Features

The CEO said that the new Apple TV does away with concerns of storage, as it is based on a rental model rather than purchasing. Users can rent first-run HDTV movies for $4.99, while single episodes of TV shows in HD will be available for 99 cents from Fox and ABC.

"We think the rest of the studios will see the light and get on board pretty fast," Jobs said.

Users can also stream content from an iOS device running version 4.2 or later. Jobs demonstrated streaming the movie "Up," instantly from an iPad over Wi-Fi.

The new Apple TV also offers access to Netflix streaming, YouTube videos, and photos from Flickr. Content can also be streamed from a Mac or PC, and from a MobileMe account. The new Apple TV will ship later this month.

Other features, according to Apple, include:

Silent, cool, and small: The new Apple TV is quiet, energy efficient, and so small it fits just about anywhere.

Less clutter with HDMI: Play audio and video though a single HDMI connection.

Apple Remote included: Control Apple TV with the sleek, aluminum Apple Remote.

Integration: Includes access to Netflix, Flickr, Rotten Tomatoes, and MobileMe.

Photos, music and videos: View your own content on the new Apple TV. And stream content wirelessly via an iOS 4.2 or later device using the new AirPlay technology.

Remote app for iPhone or iPod touch . Remote uses the same easy-to-use interface you already use to browse music and video on your Multi-Touch device. So right away, you know how to navigate. If you want to find something specific, use your device’s QWERTY keyboard to quickly tap out the title instead of clicking letters on the Apple TV screen.

"The new Apple TV, paired with the largest selection of online HD movie and TV show rentals, lets users watch Hollywood content on their HD TV whenever they want," Jobs said in a press release. "This tiny, silent box costing just $99 lets users watch thousands of HD movies and TV shows, and makes all of their music, photos and videos effortlessly available on their home entertainment system."

Technical Specifications

Size and weight:

Height: 0.9 inches (23 mm)

Width: 3.9 inches (98 mm)

Depth: 3.9 inches (98 mm)

Weight: 0.6 pounds

In the box:

Apple TV

Aluminum Apple Remote

Power cord

Documentation

Environmental Status Report:

BFR-free

PVC-free (internal cables and components)

Meets ENERGY STAR Version 2.0 requirements for set-top boxes

Processor: Apple A4 chip

System requirements:

AirPort Extreme, Wi-Fi 802.11b, g, or n wireless network (wireless video streaming requires 802.11g or 802.11n) or 10/100BASE-T Ethernet network

iTunes Store account for renting movies and TV shows

Netflix account for streaming Netflix content

For streaming media from a Mac or PC: iTunes 10 or later; iTunes Store account for Home Sharing

Ports and interfaces:

HDMI2

Optical audio

10/100BASE-T Ethernet

Built-in IR receiver

Micro-USB (for service and support)

Environmental requirements:

Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)

Storage temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)

Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Power: Built-in 6-watt universal power supply

Wireless: 802.11n Wi-Fi (a/b/g compatible), 2.4GHz and 5GHz

Comments

• Reply 1 of 378
    Stand by for ISP bandwidth cap announcements later today....
  • Reply 2 of 378
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Cool device overall, but it's a bit nonsensical to expect users to 'rent' TV episodes for US .99 (at only 720p) when it's so easy to simply use a DVR/Tivo type device.

We'll See...
  • Reply 3 of 378
    I was gonna say, isnt this just a glorified DVR? and on those you can keep the episode indefinetly, no?
  • Reply 4 of 378
    I'd be more interested in streaming photos from my iPhone to the atv than from the iPad, which has no camera.

By the time my photos are on the iPad they're probably on Flickr too and thus already on the Apple TV.
  • Reply 5 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ortal View Post

I was gonna say, isnt this just a glorified DVR? and on those you can keep the episode indefinetly, no?

What about people who are sick of paying for overpriced & poor service from the cable companies? Think about how much money you could save by just streaming the occasional movie. And what about the savings from not going to a theater with ridiculous ticket prices and costs for popcorn and soda.
  • Reply 6 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Cool device overall, but it's a bit nonsensical to expect users to 'rent' TV episodes for US .99 (at only 720p) when it's so easy to simply use a DVR/Tivo type device.

We'll See...

That's kind of the thing I was wondering. Where's the live TV integration part? It seems like Apple TV is still just "iTunes for TV" and for watching past episodes.
  • Reply 7 of 378
    I still don't think Apple is being serious about the AppleTV. Just making it smaller with no real storage and only able to stream content and rent content - not impressed. Even though they have dropped the price to $99 - I still think this will continue to be a "hobby". As for 99 cents rentals - I have a DVR. I was really hoping for an iPhone 4.0 type OS with internet access and Apps. I will keep my current model.
  • Reply 8 of 378
    Quote:

No its not a DVR at all unfortunately.

If this is more than $99 its instant fail.
  • Reply 9 of 378
    Quote:

We'll See...

Cable is $60 - $100 a month and Tivo is $13, so depending on how much you watch this could be a great deal. If all our shows were on there we could cancel both and save $40. Not too bad.
  • Reply 10 of 378
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Great device, price it right but lacking iOS style app store so it’s lacking gaming capability. Anyone knows on what OS is it running? Maybe it will be there on future updates.

You can still stream from the PC which is a must for me since I own 1000+ dvds all rip into digital .m4v files.
  • Reply 11 of 378
    Couldn't they have chosen someone with even a modicum of vocal talent to close the show... Martin sounds even crappier than usual here, and should just stick to recording where he can autotune his horrible voice to sound (somewhat) acceptable.

As for the rest of the 'event'... Very Solid Lineup!
  • Reply 12 of 378
    Did I see a USB port on the back of the new Apple TV?

Thoughts on being able to plug in a DVD/Blueray player? Probably not BluRay, but DVD.

Gregor
  • Reply 13 of 378
    Quote:

Yup. I'm underwhelmed, despite going into this expecting little. The whistles and bells of this device are just not important at all to me. The old ATV is a much better device, frankly, I use it pretty much every day. Rentals? Bah. I'll keep my current TV programming sources, thanks.
  • Reply 14 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gbrandt View Post

Did I see a USB port on the back of the new Apple TV?

Thoughts on being able to plug in a DVD/Blueray player? Probably not BluRay, but DVD.

Gregor

Or iPods?
  • Reply 15 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brit120666 View Post

.... I was really hoping for an iPhone 4.0 type OS with internet access and Apps. I will keep my current model.

Pretty surprised about no Apps. There are clearly complications but I thought there would be some kind of intro to Apps.
  • Reply 16 of 378
    Sounds like glorified hotel room PPV to me...
  • Reply 17 of 378
    if the Hulu works on this puppy, i'm going to seriously consider it.
  • Reply 18 of 378
    Quote:

We'll See...

For some it may be more expensive to just rent, however a year ago I went through the numbers and found out that it would be about half the cost per year to just get rid of comcast and buy the episodes from iTunes. I even bought a mac mini to play them on my TV and it's still about 2/3 the cost for the first year. After the first year I'll have saved hundreds of dollars. Now this is only for about 6-8 TV shows in a year, once you start watching 12+ TV shows it might be worth it to just get a DVR etc.

I personally like the idea of making it even cheaper and giving me the choice of buying a show or renting it for cheaper. There are some shows I'd want to keep, but many where I'd only want to watch once and get rid of.
  • Reply 19 of 378
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

We'll See...

Well, I don't have a DVR or even cable for that matter... so, if you had an open mind or an imagination you could see how this device would be useful to some people.

Also at $0.99 I could rent the two weekly tv shows I'd like to watch for $8 a month and not have to pay for 100+ channels of crap I wouldn't ever watch.
  • Reply 20 of 378
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I expected a LOT more from a new ATV. No app store is just mind boggling, what on earth were they thinking? The only addition of note is netflix which is US only anyway, so for the rest of the planet it's just the old ATV with the hard drive removed.

I really can't see this selling.