Apple unveils new iPod touch with Retina Display, forward-facing camera

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    # Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio; still photos (960 x 720) with back camera

# VGA-quality photos and video up to 30 frames per second with the front camera
  • Reply 22 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

# Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio; still photos (960 x 720) with back camera

Let me get this straight... It does 1280x720 at 30 fps but can't even take a photo at that resolution!??!
  • Reply 23 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So, the iPod Classic is officially (and quietly, unceremoniously) gone?\

Nah, looks like they kept it as is.
  • Reply 24 of 110
    So, not as good as the iPhone camera. Hopefully it at least takes sharp photos.
  • Reply 25 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

It's still going strong here on the West Coast/Las Vegas, and he's now discussing PING (PING/BING - oh the irony), which appears to be Apple's way of playing catch-up to the long established social networking features of the MS ZUME Marketplace.

Yeah. I remember squirting songs to my friends all the time with my Zune. Till I realized nobody had one. 160 million iTunes accounts. 15 Zune owners. How is that catch-up?
  • Reply 26 of 110
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

Good idea, I'll take a look when the UK store is back up; thanks

Update: The iPod Classic is still alive an well (at least for another generation), with zero changes.
  • Reply 27 of 110
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Yeah. I remember squirting songs to my friends all the time with my Zune. Till I realized nobody had one. 160 million iTunes accounts. 15 Zune owners. How is that catch-up?

Technologically... It's definitely playing 'catch up'.
  • Reply 28 of 110
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:

No, it's still on the Apple web site for $249.00 for 160 GB's
  • Reply 29 of 110
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

And still no GPS...come on.

If you want GPS, then buy an iPhone. I'm frankly surprised they are coming this close to the iPhone with these latest models. The only thing separating them now is the GPS and a cell phone chip.
  • Reply 30 of 110
    Quote:

Nope, still listed on the apple website. Just no update.
  • Reply 31 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

Once again no GPS in the iPod Touch? Guess I wait another year.

is the deal breaker for me. Would like to get a couple so my wife and I can face time each other, but Trader Joe's doesn't have WiFi, so far as I know.

And 64 gig max is another deal breaker - not nearly enough for very much video storage. (I am a TED freak.)

Oh well, I can still get a 160 gig Classic for $223 from Amazon (and not have to pay shipping or the confiscatory 8% CA sales tax).
  • Reply 32 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

So, not as good as the iPhone camera. Hopefully it at least takes sharp photos.

No, it is to thin. The iPhone 4 camera takes up a bit of space depth wise.
  • Reply 33 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

This really sucks. That means it takes 0.7 MP pictures in back...
  • Reply 34 of 110
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I can't really find anything to knock. These are a fantastic upgrade to the Touch line. I just ordered one for my son for his birthday. He's going to be one seriously happy guy (and he'll stop asking to use my iPhone so I win too...).
  • Reply 35 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

If you want GPS, then buy an iPhone. I'm frankly surprised they are coming this close to the iPhone with these latest models. The only thing separating them now is the GPS and a cell phone chip.

And a slight difference in weight and thickness.
  • Reply 36 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

I can't really find anything to knock. These are a fantastic upgrade to the Touch line. I just ordered one for my son for his birthday. He's going to be one seriously happy guy (and he'll stop asking to use my iPhone so I win too...).

Definitely nothing to sneeze at. I guess there will always be complainers. No 5mp camera, GPS, 3G... Come on people. This is the biggest change the iPod Touch has seen in years.

Edit: Plus they added HDR to probably help out the iPod Touch camera, a bit.
  • Reply 37 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

Definitely nothing to sneeze at. I guess there will always be complainers. No 5mp camera, GPS, 3G... Come on people. This is the biggest change the iPod Touch has seen in years.

The only two "gripes" here are at least a 2MP camera in back, and a new backing (material). Everything else is awesome. I just don't take HD video as much as I would take pics. Even 1280x800 photos would be better than 960 x 720.
  • Reply 38 of 110
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Steve said "all new designs for every model". Is the classic not considered an iPod?
  • Reply 39 of 110
    Can someone confirm this? I looked all over the apple site and it would appear that the new iPod Nano has lost its video playing AND TAKING capabilities. Seems like a step backward since it was the first iPod to be able to take video!
  • Reply 40 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

Steve said "all new designs for every model". Is the classic not considered an iPod?

I wanted an answer to that as well.