Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 121 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I wish it were also a router so I could buy it instead of an Airport Express. Still, at $99, this has me seriously thinking about dumping cable and getting a netflix account. How many movies a month could I watch via this box for an $8.99 a month Netflix plan? How good are the movies Netflix has available for streaming? The free movies that Comcast has on demand usually suck. They have hundreds available, but it's hard to find one worth watching.

for netflix...its one dvd at a time and a whole bunch of streaming stuff thats decent. (district 9, matrix, benjamin button, star trek, up) and more. its worth it imo
  • Reply 122 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crackedpot View Post

I won't buy this for one reason. No 1080p.

Even if Apple doesn't provide content over 720p, Netflix does.

This version is worse than the last IMO.

Dude - really? 720p is a deal killer for you? You TV or AVR should be able to upscale to the TV resolution supported which should be 1080i/p.
  • Reply 122 of 378
    I would have loved internet access. Also, anyone know if the current ATV will have a software update? Or is it know obsolete? Netflix streaming is pretty cool.
  • Reply 124 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I wasn't being hostile. I was just pointing out a simple fact that everyone seems to miss.

I can understand that people may want one device to rule them all, but bashing something for what it's not or ever intended to be is in fact whining. However, the "whining" comment wasn't directed at you, it was directed at all the posts. These comments and the attitude in general are the exact same as when the original AppleTV came out. It doesn't do this, it doesn't do that, it can't do whatever, it's useless, blah, blah, blah. "It's going to FAIL because it's not what I want or need." Makes me think people are just spoiled and have some unjustified sense of entitlement. If you don't like it, don't buy it! Who really cares one way or another?

Personally, looks like a great little device and I can definitely see how it could be useful to some people. I doubt I'll ever buy one as I don't own a TV anymore.

I'm actually really ticked it off that it doesn't slice bagels was really hoping for that option, maybe my iphone will do it next year
  • Reply 125 of 378
    If the new Apple TV was going to have iOS and TV specific apps on it, THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL it'll be priced at $99. C'mon people, you're expectations were way too high. The rumored $99 price should've been a clear clue.

The $99 rumors have been going on for weeks and no one should've expected it to be an iOS device. I sure didn't. I think Apple is still playing the waiting game to see if the set top box market really takes off. Many have tried including Apple, but no one has been able to breakthrough. As long as the networks cling on to the Cable/Satellite providers...
  • Reply 126 of 378
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

You can already stream anything to AppleTv has long has you convert it to .m4v format before then drag it into itunes. Handbrake will do this for free. You can also tag your files with identify complete with dvd covert and description.

This is going to be the best HTPC out there, but HTPC's are a hobby thing.

You missed my point completely.

As an example, people are dissapointed that it doesn't have hulu. You can't simply convert hulu streams to .m4v and drag them into iTunes to play them on Apple TV. What you could do however is have the hulu plus app on your iOS device and stream the video to Apple TV, if Air Play will support third party apps.

The whole reason I wanted apps on the TV was so that I could add apps from various content providers, but in reality, I don't need the apps on the tv, I just need the video to play back on the TV. The apps can stay on my iPhone (and its nice touch interface) if I am free to wirelessly transmit the video to Apple TV.

Another example would be games where you transmit the video to Apple TV and use your iPhone as a multitouch controller. Air Play support for third party apps would make Apple TV many, many times more useful.
  • Reply 127 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisdf View Post

I would have loved internet access. Also, anyone know if the current ATV will have a software update? Or is it know obsolete? Netflix streaming is pretty cool.

From what I've read previously is the old AppleTV didn't have the hardware capabilities to stream Netflix that's why it was an option on Boxee, etc. But you never know, I would like to know as well because I either have to decide to sell my old one or hold onto it
  • Reply 128 of 378
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FredAppleHead View Post

Dude - really? 720p is a deal killer for you? You TV or AVR should be able to upscale to the TV resolution supported which should be 1080i/p.

If you have a 1080p display, your TV will upscale to that resolution anyway. BTW, no TV upscales to 1080i.
  • Reply 129 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranger_one View Post

I'm curious about this as well. All iTunes HD shows are 720P, but my current Apple TV upscales them to 1080P for my 56" 1080P TV. They look amazing, almost indistinguishable from the "true 1080P" shows on select cable channels that actually broadcast in 1080P. And I am really picky.

For me, 720P is not a problem whatsoever on the current Apple TV...but I don't see 1080P upconversion in the tech specs for the new ATV...

well, I would like a cheap way to run netflix at the resolutions netflix puts out without hogging up my computer. I guess I'll just stick with running boxee on my iMac and feed it into my tv. this new ATV is lame. It would be compelling only if it had 1080p.
  • Reply 130 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I do remember the same being said of Android when it was first announced... Hell, I even said the same thing when I saw the first builds of Android.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing Android. It's a killer OS and will give iOS a run for the money. All I'm saying is a) GoogleTV does not yet have anywhere near the number of iTunes users and b) HW, based on Intel Atom, is currently expensive compared to $99. Maybe Logitech box will drive down prices.
  • Reply 131 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

If you have a 1080p display, your TV will upscale to that resolution anyway. BTW, no TV upscales to 1080i.

Ah mon frere. Early HD displays were only 1080i so some did upscale to 1080i as well as early AVRs. But yes, today, most are 1080p.....
  • Reply 132 of 378
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FredAppleHead View Post

Ah mon frere. Early HD displays were only 1080i so some did upscale to 1080i as well as early AVRs. But yes, today, most are 1080p.....

I've been selling HD displays since they 1st came out and not one ever scaled to 1080i. Don't confuse accepting a 1080i signal with scaling to 1080i. They always displayed video in progressive form and the signal was scaled to the native res of the display. With some Fujitsu displays, that was 1024x1024. With others models, it was 852x480 or 1366x768.
  • Reply 133 of 378
    I do not ever watch anything live on TV anymore and this little guy is just the ticket to cancel my cable and purchase season passes for the three shows I enjoy watching though iTunes.... Hello Apple TV & Netflix; good bye $936.00 a year in cable cost.
  • Reply 134 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

We don't have rentals here in Japan, at least not yet (Steve gave me some hope, but the "system" here will likely block Apple as long as possible)... I am buying one as soon as it's out. Maybe two. One for home to stream stuff from my Mac to the 42" plasma in the living room. One for work to stream stuff for presentations. Might even carry the thing around for making presentations with my iPad.

Awesome.

I understand the home streaming from iDevice or Mac to AppleTV. That's a nice capability.

The at work use: streaming presos from an iPad to a HDTV seems very interesting until you examine it more closely,'

From what I saw demoed, once you hit the stream button on the iPad, the iPad screen turned black. I assume that the iPad (or iPhone, or iPod Touch) is occupied full-time streaming content and can no longer be used as a controller-- or at best a play/pause/stop controller.

So, do you need another remote or iDevice to act as a remote?

• Reply 135 of 378
    ... at least the web designer knows that Serenity Day is this month.

The BDM, right up front and center on the aTV page in the first slide.
  • Reply 136 of 378
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobbyB3 View Post

I'm actually really ticked it off that it doesn't slice bagels was really hoping for that option, maybe my iphone will do it next year

WHAT!?!?!??!?!?? It doesn't SLICE?

[raising fist in phony cliche outrage]
  • Reply 137 of 378
    I think it still misses the mark if you ask me.

What I want is a single unit that is a whole house DVR and allows me to stream media to any device in my house via my home network or coax cable.

The DVR must also be able to record at least 4 shows at one time while also playing back content.

Pretty much just like Uverse or Fios, however where I live neither is available and I am stuck with second rate Suddenlink Cable or DirecTV. We use DirecTV but each TV has to have its own DVR and each DVR can only record two channels and then it has to have two independent coax cables from the dish.

I mean seriously, why cant we have one agnostic DVR device to service the whole house? I understand the tuner thing with each TV provider using its own tech, but that could be easily answered with a single tuner that interfaces between the provider and the DVR. Almost like how you can control an iPod from your car stereo and have all of its info displayed on your car stereo's display.

LOL ok rant off. But that is what I sooo want the Apple TV to be. I don't need yet another box sitting on top of my TV just to watch rented movies. I got a Redbox right down the street in any direction where I can physically have a copy of the DVD in my hand for $1.
  • Reply 138 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Is that supposed to be an apology or a feature? The concerns of storage? WTF?

I have a media library on a Mini with 2 external 2 TeraByte drives (one for backup). They are almost full!

Yes, there are storage concerns, and it takes time to manage that storage!

• Reply 139 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I've been selling HD display since they 1st came out and not one ever scaled to 1080i. Don't confuse accepting a 1080i signal with scaling to 1080i. They always displayed video in progressive form and the signal was scaled to the native res of the display.

I can one up you dude. I market HDTV video chips and my first Sony HD RPTV's resolution was in fact 1080i so it took 480i/480p/520p signals and scaled them to 1080i. Sorry, meant 540p. Too many German beers while camped in Berlin for start of IFA.........I can show you some cool 3D technology if you are here.
  • Reply 140 of 378
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think they got the hardware right but not the software. 1 x power, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Ethernet/Wireless = great.

But the software! I was so excited to hear Steve say "People don't want a computer in their living room." But then the demo starts, and there's this whole row of menus with submenus, and I straight away knew this would remain a hobby.

The software should have been as simple as the hardware. You plug it in and it straight away shows a Coverflow of all the movies available for rent. And that's the whole interface.

But why so simple? Because when will people understand, the TV is for blobbing out! It's the one place in this hectic world that you don't have to think. And here come these tech companies, trying to add multi-layer menus to the only blob-out place we have left.

Which works for movies. What about tv, net content, networked computers? What solution do you propose? Looks very simple, very intuitive to me...