Apple unveils new iPod touch with Retina Display, forward-facing camera

Comments

• Reply 41 of 110
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evil Monkey Creative View Post

Can someone confirm this? I looked all over the apple site and it would appear that the new iPod Nano has lost its video playing AND TAKING capabilities. Seems like a step backward since it was the first iPod to be able to take video!

That does indeed look to be the case.
  • Reply 42 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I wanted an answer to that as well.

I assume that when the stock runs out its gone ... so its not updated but they aren't going to stop selling it while they still have some.
  • Reply 43 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

Steve said "all new designs for every model". Is the classic not considered an iPod?

Nope. I'm sure they'd love to discontinue it, but it must sell a few here and there to justify continuing it but not bothering to update.
  • Reply 44 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

And still no GPS...come on.

There are third-party GPS add-ons for the Touch. I expect they will be updated for the latest version. My understanding is that GPS is power hungry, but somehow my ancient Magellen 320 can go all day on a pair of AAs. *shrug*

I am also surprised at the low resolution on the camera. Like someone else said, "1280x720 video but only 960x720 stills??" That's not even enough for a desktop background.

I am glad to see the A4 and that they did away with different CPU powers for the different storage capacities. Levels the field and gives developers one target to aim for. Nintendo & Sony should be worried.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 45 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

If you want GPS, then buy an iPhone. I'm frankly surprised they are coming this close to the iPhone with these latest models. The only thing separating them now is the GPS and a cell phone chip.

And spend 299 plus 3 year contract or 799 unlocked for a 32GB...no thanks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

There are third-party GPS add-ons for the Touch. I expect they will be updated for the latest version. My understanding is that GPS is power hungry, but somehow my ancient Magellen 320 can go all day on a pair of AAs. *shrug*

I am also surprised at the low resolution on the camera. Like someone else said, "1280x720 video but only 960x720 stills??" That's not even enough for a desktop background.

I am glad to see the A4 and that they did away with different CPU powers for the different storage capacities. Levels the field and gives developers one target to aim for. Nintendo & Sony should be worried.

- Jasen.

Problem is the GPS for iPod Touch is prohibitively expensive (more like 200 bucks)...when GPS chips are plenty cheap right now...

I guess 499 overall is less expensive than 799...
  • Reply 46 of 110
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    I agree with the others who have mentioned. he said they were making drastic changes to the entire lineup. If the entire lineup consists of the 3 products he discussed, that would seem to imply the Classic is no longer current. I expect if it wasn't just him being forgetful, they will sell thru current stock at normal price or discount it soon, then knock any remaining into clearance and quietly discontinue it.
  • Reply 47 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

The only thing separating them now is the GPS and a cell phone chip.

Don't forget the monthly subscription charge. $299 is nothing compared to $2400 for a two year contract.
  • Reply 48 of 110
    omg you guys still complaining about no 3g or gps on the ipod touch....really!!! buy a damn iphone. WTF do you need 3g on a ipod touch for? do you intend on paying for data charges? get a iPhone..and stop complaining
  • Reply 49 of 110
    Records will be broken. will be another awesome quarter for iPods. Forget about classic, Touch is the where the puck is going to be.
  • Reply 50 of 110
    Now it has a both a mic and speaker. Don't want an iPhone with a contract? Get one of these and run the Line2 VOIP app with your own number for $15/month (WIFI only).
  • Reply 51 of 110
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Somewhat of a lackluster day as far as expectations we were given. I was hoping for at least a 3MP camera with a flash on the touch as that would make it the perfect work gadget for my job out in the field. Planned on buying a new iPod touch this morning before the announcement, instead I just bought myself a nice new rug for my living room.
  • Reply 52 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

omg you guys still complaining about no 3g or gps on the ipod touch....really!!! buy a damn iphone. WTF do you need 3g on a ipod touch for? do you intend on paying for data charges? get a iPhone..and stop complaining

I'm not complaining about no 3g...it's the lack of GPS. there are tons of GPS enabled apps now...

but again I guess 499 (299 + 200 for GPS cradle) is better than 799 for an unlocked iPhone here in Canada.
  • Reply 53 of 110
    Will one of the staff call Apple PR and ask them what each camera's specs are? Thanks in advance.

I see the mic next to the backside camera and a new improved speaker on the bottom.

Very disappointed in no capacity doubling this year and no 4GB Shuffle. Bummer for me.
  • Reply 54 of 110
    jsnjsn Posts: 1member
    The still camera resolution is sufficient for uploads to Facebook, which is what I'll primarily be using it for. I certainly won't be using the new touch to take pics of my kids school concerts or sporting events. That's why I have a decent digital camera. And my digital camera doesn't allow me play music or games, surf the internet, check my email, or make Skype calls.
  • Reply 55 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evil Monkey Creative View Post

Can someone confirm this? I looked all over the apple site and it would appear that the new iPod Nano has lost its video playing AND TAKING capabilities. Seems like a step backward since it was the first iPod to be able to take video!

You are correct sir. It is no longer available. I didn't think it was a heavily used feature.
  • Reply 56 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

I'm not complaining about no 3g...it's the lack of GPS. there are tons of GPS enabled apps now...

but again I guess 499 (299 + 200 for GPS cradle) is better than 799 for an unlocked iPhone here in Canada.

I agree. I was hoping for GPS - at least in a top-end model. The chips are cheap, and Apple already has support in the OS and the know-how to put one in. Perhaps GPS chips are closely packaged with cell-phone radio chips and the antenna would complicate (read add expense & size) to the design.

Magellen, TomTom, and Dual have jumped on board to augment their own stand-alone hardware devices with receivers for the Touch & their own software & maps. Why compete with Apple's gorgeous multi-touch display & CPU? Let Apple do all that engineering and R&D. I wonder if Garmin will get the message or if they'll fade from the handheld space.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 57 of 110
    putting the same shite chrome back on it kills it for me. i was ready to pull the trigger but the chrome back ruins it for me. give us glass, give us brush aluminum, hell i'd take a plastic backing over the damn chrome. call me petty but i'm waiting another year (or 2)
  • Reply 58 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I wanted an answer to that as well.

Classic is dead. You got the answer.
  • Reply 59 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Classic is dead. You got the answer.

The classic is not dead it's still alive and kicking
  • Reply 60 of 110
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Will one of the staff call Apple PR and ask them what each camera's specs are? Thanks in advance.

I see the mic next to the backside camera and a new improved speaker on the bottom.

Very disappointed in no capacity doubling this year and no 4GB Shuffle. Bummer for me.

It'll be torn apart and the specs will be posted within 24 hours of release.

Be patient.