Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 241 of 378
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    I think it's running iOS, I just don't think we can tell, yet.
  • Reply 242 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peteo View Post

Do not like the New apple TV. I have the old one and its hacked with XBMC & Boxee witch make it WAY more functional. No way I'm going to pay $1 to rent an episode when can get hulu on computer for free,or even hulu on ipad for $10 a month.

What apple needed to do was Bring IOS to apple TV (and make the interface work on tv) and let you download apps. That way I could chose the content provider. Also plays games, use Pandora ETC.

This is a Let down. I guess ill pick up a boxee box when it comes out. (maybe it will cost $99 to compete)

It's not for everyone. Then again, many things are not for everyone. They are making a strategic business decision and for Apple, it must be what makes sense right now.

When they eventually buy Netflix.... we'll see.
  • Reply 243 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

If we do not express what we want in a product how will they ever know? If it had the features I wanted and would use I would buy it, but it doesn't.

Having only 2 channels on board means it still can't replace peoples cable/sat/fios bills. I'm sure more will get on board.

Saying it's built for you is no more or less narrow than saying it's useless for me. I didn't say for all it is useless. Just for me.

It's great that you get what you want but others have additional needs. Are you not being narrow minded as well?

If they expanded their codec support, increased to 1080p and supported HD audio and 7.1 i'd buy it. HDMI 1.3 which it has supports that audio, it supports 1080p, so it's just software for them to add it. Software to add codec support.

I'd like to see apple add those features. But i'm sure once the community gets a hold of it and starts hacking we may just see that.

I think how I see this is that quite a few consumers are asking for too much too quickly. I don't know if the iPod is a good metaphor but let's see if this works. When the iPod came out there was only one. Same for the AppleTV. It was until there was a fourth hardware version of the iPod that a new piece of hardware was introduced, the iPod Mini. Each, improving on it's predecessor. This hardware release is really only on it's second hardware release, yes updates have happened, but not enough to call them true hardware upgrades. We won't see as many improvements to the hardware and software until the entire industry catches up and is more cohesive. 1080p downloads are simply not affordable right now. My provider would kill my wallet if I go over 60Gbs in a month.

We can ask and complain and suggest and bitch until the cows come home, but we have to be logical. I want I want I want is not going to get us what we want. But patience? Aha. Is a virtue.

Saying 'no' I think can be narrow. Saying 'yes' I think is not.
  • Reply 244 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

The product is "built for you" and not so appealing to some others. Granted. But then calling others selfish (narrow view of hate, lol) for wanting something different or saying it wasn't "made for them" is, well, selfish.

I wish all the best to those who want more. But too much too quickly can be a bad thing.

Selfish

1. devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.

2. characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives.
  • Reply 245 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teunis View Post

I think how I see this is that quite a few consumers are asking for too much too quickly. I don't know if the iPod is a good metaphor but let's see if this works. When the iPod came out there was only one. Same for the AppleTV. It was until there was a fourth hardware version of the iPod that a new piece of hardware was introduced, the iPod Mini. Each, improving on it's predecessor. This hardware release is really only on it's second hardware release, yes updates have happened, but not enough to call them true hardware upgrades. We won't see as many improvements to the hardware and software until the entire industry catches up and is more cohesive. 1080p downloads are simply not affordable right now. My provider would kill my wallet if I go over 60Gbs in a month.

We can ask and complain and suggest and bitch until the cows come home, but we have to be logical. I want I want I want is not going to get us what we want. But patience? Aha. Is a virtue.

Saying 'no' I think can be narrow. Saying 'yes' I think is not.

Oh, I didn't say 1080p downloads, i'm talking about streaming, across my network from my computers. The hardware is already there. Supporting more containers/codecs is just a software update.

See there are many devices that can do this already. Have been for years. I'm not asking for anything new here. Just asking for apple to catch up to what others are doing. I don't personally care about any online content. Or rather most. I'm interested in the network streaming of content I already have. All my movie/tv rips.

Patience gets us nothing if they don't know what we want. They just continue on with business as usual. We tell them. And then have patience and hope that they'll do it.

Saying yes is narrow minded when you're saying you have everything YOU want but anything anyone else wants is whining. Or at least that's how it came across in your initial post.
  • Reply 246 of 378
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

Except the Roku HD is 30% cheaper than this.

Is the Roku HD really the best Ruko to compare to the AppleTV? It doesn?t even have 802.11n which the AppleTV has had since 2007 and something that may be pretty important in todays and tomorrow?s home, especially if these devices are designed for streaming content.

So let?s look at specs of the Roku HD-XR. It has 802.11n and it costs $99? just like the AppleTV. they both do a max of 720p over HDMI and have optical audio so the features look pretty even for what can be compared. So why not choose this one?

And how does the build quality of the device and remote compare? Are there any cost differences in the HW, like environmental considerations, that could make the AppleTV cost more? How do the OSes compare in it?s ability to work reliably? What about the user interface? How about service and support?

We?ll have to wait and see a detailed review, but between getting a $99 Roku and $99 TV i know what I?d go for.
  • Reply 247 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wondering View Post

I read and watch all my news online. I subscribe to the major sports online tv (mlb, nhl, etc) packages since I don't live where my teams are (STL btw). I don't currently have HBO etc and have very little inclination to sign up for it.

And yes this is a small sample size, but the majority of people that I work with and play with watch as little TV as I do. For me (perhaps them) this is a great bridge the few times that I want to park my butt in front of the TV and veg out.

I think the vast majority of people have about a $100 cable bill... and it's more cost to get HD and premium services on top of that. and DVR rental. but I think they watch probably 1-3 shows a night (~10 a week).

The issue is that most will still have a $60-$80 cable bill if you get basic and HS Internet (29+29/39/49). Toss in 15-20 for each movie me and the lady go to, it's $100-110 a month.

Apple TV should be for those people who are 1)movie fans, 2) watch Expanded Basic TVs shows (mad men, breaking bad, Real Housewives of X) or 3) those who want premium 'series' content (Tudors/Weeds/Curb/Tara)

My 20mb DSL is $55.00/month. If I get 5 shows a week that are non broadcast (no cable no phone), then my cost at $.99 is roughly 55+25 = 80. Toss in a couple movies saving me hours driving/standing in line, eating crap at $10/unit at $4.99, or netflix, my total entertainment budget of again... probably ~100. BUT... as low as $55 when everything is in re-run, and or I'm happy just airplaying Comedy Central (the only real shows I watch) for free from CC.com

So... spending over 188/month for premium plus HD [my last full bill]to < $100 a month, by buying a $99 box. ROI. 1.1 months.

Seems to work for me.

So... I think the model works for most Americans (my sample is limited to that), but it requires cutting the cord from the cable companies. If the networks/producers get a better cut of the deal this way [I can't see how they can't, especially for good/watched shows], I can't see how this won't disintermediate cable companies.
  • Reply 248 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ortal View Post

I was gonna say, isnt this just a glorified DVR? and on those you can keep the episode indefinetly, no?

broadcast content is actually 1080i or 720p, and since 720p is better don't see the big deal there. For those of us who have used streaming services like Netflix we know that HD to streaming content providers is not really HD but only about same quality as 480p.

If you have Netflix already this is a very attractive little device, you could easily take it with you on a trip & have netflix wherever you go to any HDMI capable TV. Add to that the fact that you can rent HD content from iTunes (as Netflix doesn't have to many titles in HD and even their SD selection is very limited).

Also, 99 cent SD rentals means direct competition with redbox. For our family we are weighing whether to keep Netflix or go back to Redbox as we don't really watch enough movies to justify the $10 a month. This is even better than Redbox since I wouldn't have to drive anywhere and I would have a much larger selection to choose from (not locked to what's in the machine).

Only way for all this to really work well is for other studios to get on board with SD 99 cent rentals, and I think they eventually will. From a bandwidth perspective this is more attractive to ISPs as people who have unlimited instant play like Netflix service are the heavy bandwidth users. If you pay for Cable internet I doubt they will restrict the bandwidth, they'll just start raising the intro price & cutting prices on packaging.

My hope is that they will upgrade the current AppleTV OS to include these features as well, I'm guessing they will & that this is a transition device that will be upgradable with far more features in the future and the current ATV will go the way of the Dodo.
  • Reply 249 of 378
    Damn you Apple! Why do you have to be so frickin' stubborn!

Why did you limit the AppleTV to streaming only? Why, oh gawd, why?

LOCAL storage. Listen, I know the streaming thing is cool for renting and for keeping the costs down, but you've already put a USB port on the back.

Would it be so hard to make it a full size USB that can power a portable drive?

I don't have an extra computer to feed streams to my TV all day.

I don't want disk and network activity constantly on my main computer.

I want to be able to take the AppleTV up to the cottage for the weekend.

I don't want to feed the AppleTV with my iPad. That would mean iPad -> AppleTV -> TV = Watching movie. Three devices! The iPad becomes useless as it feeds the TV.

The least you could have done is let me plug in a portable CD drive or USB stick.
  • Reply 250 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I think the vast majority of people have about a $100 cable bill... and it's more cost to get HD and premium services on top of that. and DVR rental. but I think they watch probably 1-3 shows a night (~10 a week).

The issue is that most will still have a $60-$80 cable bill if you get basic and HS Internet (29+29/39/49). Toss in 15-20 for each movie me and the lady go to, it's $100-110 a month.

Apple TV should be for those people who are 1)movie fans, 2) watch Expanded Basic TVs shows (mad men, breaking bad, Real Housewives of X) or 3) those who want premium 'series' content (Tudors/Weeds/Curb/Tara)

My 20mb DSL is $55.00/month. If I get 5 shows a week that are non broadcast (no cable no phone), then my cost at $.99 is roughly 55+25 = 80. Toss in a couple movies saving me hours driving/standing in line, eating crap at $10/unit at $4.99, or netflix, my total entertainment budget of again... probably ~100. BUT... as low as $55 when everything is in re-run, and or I'm happy just airplaying Comedy Central (the only real shows I watch) for free from CC.com

So... spending over 188/month for premium plus HD [my last full bill]to < $100 a month, by buying a $99 box. ROI. 1.1 months.

Seems to work for me.

So... I think the model works for most Americans (my sample is limited to that), but it requires cutting the cord from the cable companies. If the networks/producers get a better cut of the deal this way [I can't see how they can't, especially for good/watched shows], I can't see how this won't disintermediate cable companies.

For me it's the opposite. My satellite bill is low but we watch an average of 3 shows per night. Renting them from apple would cost me 3x more than we pay to Dish(gotta love the HD only packages!) and apple only has 2 channels on board so far.

Most people I know have bills averaging $50/month for cable/sat/fios. Lot's of bundle packages around here and if you call and say you're going to leave they give you another bundle for another year at the promo price.

I'm only talking prices of the TV services here, not internet prices as well. To better compare cable/sat/fios to apple tv.
  • Reply 251 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That's pretty funny. You don't have "right" to any of this stuff. It costs money to make, and the content providers have to find a way to make it work for them so they can continue to provide their content. Everything costs something.

If I own something I do indeed have the "right" to do whatever I want with it.
  • Reply 252 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guytoronto View Post

LOCAL storage. Listen, I know the streaming thing is cool for renting and for keeping the costs down, but you've already put a USB port on the back.

I don't want to feed the AppleTV with my iPad. That would mean iPad -> AppleTV -> TV = Watching movie. Three devices! The iPad becomes useless as it feeds the TV.

The least you could have done is let me plug in a portable CD drive or USB stick.

Not that I don't agree with you, but it seems the new aTV isn't for you. I'd suggest picking up a current one while you still can. It'll cost you an extra 50 bucks (go figure), but its listed under the Clearance area.

There are also other options like the WDTV (Western Digital) that is built exactly for using a Hard Drive or USB stick.
  • Reply 253 of 378
    meh...
  • Reply 254 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guytoronto View Post

Buy a current AppleTV, I'm sure they'll have some great sales on it. Hey, you can buy mine!
  • Reply 255 of 378
    60% of households now have video game systems. Every major console being sold already supports Netflix.

http://games.venturebeat.com/2009/12

/14/video-gamer-population-surges-as-60-percent-of-households-now-have-game-consoles/

An overwhelming majority of the individuals who will even consider this device fall under that category.

That aside, Apple cannot conquer the world by turning all media into a dollar store. I will never pay to rent a television show. Period, end of story. Especially considering I can see 90% of them on an affiliates website, on local HD television, or via Hulu all for FREE.

They need to work out advertising or bring content to the television via a cheap subscription model or this will simply be another all around fail.

The last thing I want is ANOTHER box to plug in to the wall next to my television. Also, you can get plenty of media boxes with storage for the same price range or ones without storage that support several different venues of consumption (eg Amazon Marketplace, etc) for even less.

This is extremely disappointing.
  • Reply 256 of 378
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

It's always nice to see the morons who talked about the "iOS" coming to the Apple TV and "how great it would be" to have touch TVs or some kind of pointer device that worked with the TVs, now scrambling with disappointment that Apple didn't abide to their insane designs!

Where's their apology right now? Well in the same place where their pride is ahah.

FYI, there was an Apple event today which showcased a new AppleTV that is ¼ the size and is using an A4 ARM processor. That is iOS sans CocoaTouch just as all the non-morons have been stating, over and over, and you have been denying, over and over. You?re the only one that thinks the UI is the OS. You need to apologize to everyone on this board, but I would much prefer you tuck your tail between your legs and give this forum the silent treatment.
  • Reply 257 of 378
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Hrm. I just pre ordered. People don't realize how handy the Apple TV really is. If you are the type of person that keeps stuff on your computer, i.e. movies, music, podcasts, etc., it gets old watching on small screen a lot. A majority of my day at home is me busy but listening to music. I love the fact that I can walk around, stream music to or play from apple tv, over the entire house with airport express and the apple tv. other than the crappers.....i can walk through the entire house and not miss a beat while listening to music. All the while controlling it with the iphone in my pocket.

Now that this is only $99 I can put the old one in our bedroom and rent movies without having to sit in living room to watch.

I wonder if they are going to lower the price of airport express now? It can't remain $99 now.

I've had an Apple TV for years and use it to rent movies occasionally, and to stream content (ripped DVDs usually) from my iTunes library. I favour renting blu-rays mostly though as the picture and sound quality is so much better, and for TV content I just use my HD cable PVR. It's cheaper (I'm paying for the subscription anyway), and the quality again is miles better than ATV offers. Plus the selection on the UK iTunes store is hilariously bad, meaning chances are I couldn't find what I wanted on the store anyway.

Even for media streaming I generally prefer my PS3, truth be told. The interface is just so much snappier, and it supports 1080p. ATV is still half baked, actually not even that much Apps would have made all the difference, and I can't for the life of me imagine why Apple passed this opportunity up.
  • Reply 258 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

There are so many TV shows on ITS it's ridiculous. Most you can't stream? OK, well the flipside the crux of my problem with the device in general. I guessing that in about 6 months or so we'll see a solid upgrade to the software for the "missing" app support.

1) this will allow networks to write apps for subscription plans

2) It will allow for gaming which it seems Apple is finally warming up to (silly it took them so long and continues to do so)

My biggest bitch is that without local storage I can't make purchases directly from the ATV which then synch to the server. That's one of the best features.

I suppose I would have to buy from my server now? I don't want to have to go to my laptop and screen share every time I want to purchase something. (I'm definitely keeping my old ATV's)

Also, not having local storage bites because I like to synch content and not rely on the server at all times. Especially for music which takes up hardly any space.

Waiting for an update even though the potential is there and the price is right.

BTW why does everyone think Netflix is going to be free? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to have a netflix account first guys.

I agree with most of what you say!

I think the lack of storage for ATV purchases can be resolved by an iTunes setting-- designate a target computer's iTunes for all purchases. Then, regardless of what device you use for purchase, everything gets downloaded to a single iTunes on a single computer.

I am less patient than you, however...

Let me say it this way:

If Apple is not working on apps and games for the New AppleTV, they are crazy.

If Apple is working on apps and games for the New AppleTV, they should have announced the SDK today, and busted their butt to get it to developers ASAP!

Not doing so, is ceding a critical competitive advantage. Hell, If they can [pre]announce an AppleTV with only two streaming networks, they can [pre]announce an SDK.

I am as much an Apple fan/supporter as there is, but I am beginning to question whether Apple has sufficient numbers of technical talent to accomplish what they set out to do!

Also, as a developer, I am pissed that an iOs 4.x SDK for the iPad is nowhere in sight-- developing apps, right now, is a PITA!.

• Reply 259 of 378
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

The fact that they've eliminated the ability to purchase digital movies and tv shows on the Apple TV is a testament to just how few people are buying digitally. When it comes to owning movies or tv shows, physical media is here to stay.

One problem with digital downloads that many people don't talk about is how they are going to store those downloads. Get external hard drives and juggle them? Well, Apple took care of that problem.
  • Reply 260 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

Hmmm, Airplay reminds me of Zune squirting.

I believe the popular term was Zune ejaculating