Apple introduces iTunes 10 with Ping social network

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

So I suspect maybe you're trying to be a smart ass. OK. Fine.

So you suspect wrong.

I think syncing should have been seperated from iTunes a long time ago, iSync has existed for years, and would have been a good application to tie the syncing to, it would have solved the issue of having to download 100Mb just to enable a new iPod to sync.
  • Reply 62 of 105
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So you suspect wrong.

OK. Cool. Sorry. Always hard to read "tone of voice" in text.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I think syncing should have been seperated from iTunes a long time ago, iSync has existed for years, and would have been a good application to tie the syncing to, it would have solved the issue of having to download 100Mb just to enable a new iPod to sync.

Agreed. And that might be the technology platform they would use. Not sure. I guess my point was that what I'm talking about is more than just breaking out the syncing.
  • Reply 63 of 105
    And they add yet another "feature" to iTunes, one that I probably won't every use. I hope that iTunes 10 won't be slower than 9 (which for me was pretty slow already). Don't like the "traffic lights" and in my opinion the new itunes icon is horrid. Going to stick with iTunes 9 for the time being... On another note I am still waiting for the next iteration of iLife.
  • Reply 64 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by initiator View Post

What's up with the UI? They seemed to have gotten rid of all color (everything is gray).

And, what's with the window buttons? They're now vertical on the left side? That just looks weird.

If you minimise the main window in iTunes 9, the button arrangement is the same - i.e. vertical.

But agree it's strange to see on a full sized window!
  • Reply 65 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Ping.... Bing... Really?

It's good to see that Apple is finally adopting a few of the ZUNE Marketplace's social networking features, though admittedly, iTunes is looking in serious need of an aesthetic makeover, especially when compared to the elegance of MS' Zune Marketplace.

Really dude? Zune? You're kidding right?
  • Reply 66 of 105
    At least here in germany "today" or the 1st of september is over. Well I have to sleep now. Then wake up and check out iTunes 10.

Nice update for the iPods but they actually raised the price while keeping the same storage space.

Not enough reasons to through more money at apple. But as I said, updates are nice.
  • Reply 67 of 105
    I find this very interesting. People with similar musical tastes tend to have other things in common; it's definitely a better measure of social compatibility than going to the same high school. If you want to find out what losers your classmates turned into, Facebook is nice. If you want to find some new people to socialize with who are on the same wavelength, then iTunes might be the new stop . . .
  • Reply 68 of 105
    can we Poke someone with Ping? or Bing?
  • Reply 69 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHead75 View Post

More people will download iTunes which will mean millions more accounts which will result in more music, movies and app downloads. Word of mouth on facebook and twitter will help Ping to grow. Marketing throuth Artist, etc. I can see it now.... "Follow me on Ping"!

Nah.

"Ping me"

"Ping us for more information"

etc.
  • Reply 70 of 105
    What's the hold up? Is iTunes 10 having issues even before they release it? It's 4:40 p.m. here on the west coast and they still haven't released the software. Just once, I'd love to get that software update prompt while Steve is talking about the software. It'd make sense that we be able to actually use the stuff he's talking about rather than watching it online and wondering how it'll work.

I also know that the patented answer is, "Patience.", but there's got to come a day when things are actually available when we're told they would be. This goes back to the Magic Trackpad I wanted to buy from the Alderwood Mall Apple Store in Lynnwood, WA, on the day they were supposed to come out, only to be told, "We don't have them yet." It's not like I was there in the morning.

iTunes 10 should have been available at the end of the Keynote, at least. The fact that it isn't leads me to be suspicious of it. Like something's already wrong.
  • Reply 71 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

why it's still called iTunes is beyond me. it's music, movies, podcasts, tv shows, books, apps and [shudder] ringtones.

No kidding. iTunes needed a new name at like... version 6? It should be iMedia or just iStore or something.

I do feel like there's getting to be a little bit of feature bloat though, I'd kind of rather have an option to do device management in its own app. I didn't mind this so much until iPad - but now it seems like kind of a big deal. It feels awkward and almost inappropriate to be managing your tablet computer through a music player...

It's funny to me that Apple insists on keeping Mail, Calendar, and Address Book as separate apps, but puts every single iOS + Store function into one program. I'd argue that my music library and the documents I write on my iPad are MUCH less related than my calendar and email inbox!
  • Reply 72 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

I dont want a new social network or care aboy showing people wht i listen to. and I dont care about "following" artists. Somehow I feel as if I am kissing their a$$ by doing that.

What I want is for my itunes to sync and manage my music. AND to share my playlist through MY network to my iPhone. Is this possible yet?

It's been turned off specifically for you because you are a troll.

I've been able to do it fine for... well for years now.
  • Reply 73 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I actually think this is a real dilemma for Apple and I suspect they may be trying to find some way to address it in the future. Here's my totally wild-ass prediction:

Let's zoom out and take a look at iPhoto and iTunes (particularly original music-only iTunes) side-by-side. These are basically the same app targeted at different media (pictures vs. music).

However, iTunes became the main conduit for syncing with your iDevices so they felt they had to continue bolting all sorts of non-music things onto the side of iTunes. The Rube Goldberg-ness of this is starting to show.

iPhoto content is also synced with your iDevices but through iTunes.

Apple quietly made a move a while back to completely restructure the underlying organization of the iTunes folder/file structure into the new "iTunes media format" organizing things along their types.

It's all a bit of an inelegant mess.

But what if Apple did this:

- break apart iTunes into its component parts along media lines (e.g. iGames, iApps, iBooks, iVideos, iTunes, iPhoto)

- create a new centralized "home base" application that "contains" all of these "sub-applications" and handles the syncing centrally but allows you to click off to a sub-application to deal with the specific media/content type you need to deal with at that moment.

I actually think they may already be doing this sort of quietly, in baby steps within iTunes. The next major step is really just a UI restructure where "iTunes becomes a part of this larger umbrella application.

It's just a wild-ass guess. But I suspect they will need to address a major refactoring soon. This would also likely coincide with a store refactoring too. Once you break iTunes into its separate "apps" it becomes easier to present the different sections of the store as well (e.g., iBooks presents you the book store, iTunes presents you the music store, iApps the app store, etc.)

Great idea!
  • Reply 74 of 105
    What's weird is that there's a link to download iTunes 10 from the Apple site, which then offers iTunes 9 and says that iTunes 10 is "available soon".

What I'm wondering is whether this is still Carbon app or if it's now a Cocoa app.
  • Reply 75 of 105
    I've thought for quite a while it should be called iMedia, with all of the media it deals with. I'm sure that's too obvious, though. It isn't as elegant and creative as say... I dunno... "Ping"? >sarcastic<

Now people will get confused with that good ol' networking tool "ping".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by burlesona View Post

No kidding. iTunes needed a new name at like... version 6? It should be iMedia or just iStore or something.

I do feel like there's getting to be a little bit of feature bloat though, I'd kind of rather have an option to do device management in its own app. I didn't mind this so much until iPad - but now it seems like kind of a big deal. It feels awkward and almost inappropriate to be managing your tablet computer through a music player...

It's funny to me that Apple insists on keeping Mail, Calendar, and Address Book as separate apps, but puts every single iOS + Store function into one program. I'd argue that my music library and the documents I write on my iPad are MUCH less related than my calendar and email inbox!

• Reply 76 of 105
    But what if Apple did this:

- break apart iTunes into its component parts along media lines (e.g. iGames, iApps, iBooks, iVideos, iTunes, iPhoto)

- create a new centralized "home base" application that "contains" all of these "sub-applications" and handles the syncing centrally but allows you to click off to a sub-application to deal with the specific media/content type you need to deal with at that moment.

I actually think they may already be doing this sort of quietly, in baby steps within iTunes. The next major step is really just a UI restructure where "iTunes becomes a part of this larger umbrella application.

It's just a wild-ass guess. But I suspect they will need to address a major refactoring soon. This would also likely coincide with a store refactoring too. Once you break iTunes into its separate "apps" it becomes easier to present the different sections of the store as well (e.g., iBooks presents you the book store, iTunes presents you the music store, iApps the app store, etc.)[/QUOTE]

I see one problem with this: it would severely complicate things for windows users. True, Macs could use iSync (as someone already mentioned) to sync content, but Windows doesn't have that option. Syncing would need to be built into the apps. Thus, a one program strategy is really the only option that makes sense. Apple needs to be able to maintain the software on windows and mac as easily as possible
  • Reply 77 of 105
    Does anyone know of a notification service that will let us know when iTunes 10 is finally ready for download?
  • Reply 78 of 105
    never mind! i am downloading right now!
  • Reply 79 of 105
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercivic View Post

never mind! i am downloading right now!

I just checked and it said 10 was available for download. I clicked download and it was downloading 9. Then I reloaded the download page and it went to saying 10 was coming soon. Reloaded a minute later and now I'm downloading 10!
  • Reply 80 of 105
    Downloaded iTunes 10 and encountered an issue with the installer. Now Apple's website has iTunes 9 only available for download again. I think someone is in trouble at Apple.