iOS 4.2 for iPad coming in November, adds wireless printing and Air Play

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday showed off iOS 4.2 for the iPad, including folders, multitasking, support for wireless printing, and streaming of audio, video and photos through the new Air Play feature.

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs showed off the new printing capabilities in iOS 4.2. When printing, tasks will be included in the "Print Center" icon in the multitasking bar, accessed by double tapping the Home button.

Jobs showed off the ability to include multiple icons in folders, as can be done with iOS 4 on the iPhone and iPod touch. He also showed off the multitasking capabilities that will come with the new software.

Jobs also mentioned that Air Tunes has become Air Play, which will allow users to stream audio, video and photos over Wi-Fi.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    November!
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Spectacular!!
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Yay! New stuff for the iPad!
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Of course November just in time for the holiday season\
  • Reply 5 of 34
    It wasn't really clear if the 4.2 update will be available for other iOS devices in November as well. He said that you'd be able to stream from your iOS device at one point and didn't specify iPad only, so I assume it will. However, he seemed to be having an off day and misspoke a few things.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Why is Apple fragmenting iOS? I thought they avoided that sort of foolishness.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    now my issue will there be a developer beta/build of 4.2 for iPad for the Registered Developers?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Because they have to.

iPhone/iPad are somewhat different and merging the two OSs takes some time. Even more so, since the iPad was super secret, and even most members of the iPhone team didn't have access to it during development.

Yes, they could have taken their time to do the merging of the two featuresets in advance, but then, they would have delayed the iPad launch.

Oh, and it's not really fragmented from an end user perspective: apps made for iPhone can run on both, and iPhone/iPad hybrid apps are also possible.

Still, 4.2 will probably be the converging release. Who said otherwise?
  • Reply 9 of 34
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Making releases monolithic increases risk of a blown schedule. My guess is that they had originally hoped that iOS 4.1 would go to the iPad but a few months ago realized it wasn't going to happen and branched it so they wouldn't risk the iPod release.

It's pretty clear the new Nano runs iOS, and I'd bet dollars to donuts the AppleTV runs iOS, but neither of them even have an app store (yet?). So Apple's just trying to minimize risk to the release schedule and product integrity.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Jobs also mentioned that Air Tunes has become Air Play, which will allow users to stream audio, video and photos over Wi-Fi.

Don't mean to sound anal butt - on the slides it said AirPlay not Air Play. Makes more sense when you try to trademark it (if its at all possible).
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Because they have to.

iPhone/iPad are somewhat different and merging the two OSs takes some time. Even more so, since the iPad was super secret, and even most members of the iPhone team didn't have access to it during development.

They explicitly said the 4.2 November release is for all iOS devices.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    What I'd really like out of iOS for iPad is a better way to sync files. I just find iTunes so utterly klunky. Apps that have their own wi-fi interface are great but this should be a system service, not something you have to pray a developer will include.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_cazorp View Post

What I'd really like out of iOS for iPad is a better way to sync files. I just find iTunes so utterly klunky. Apps that have their own wi-fi interface are great but this should be a system service, not something you have to pray a developer will include.

That plug it in and let it sync is so damn clunky.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

They're not fragmenting the OS. They're trying to merge them, takes a little time. I believe he said iOS 4.2 will be available for all devices.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Yes, when you transfer files between multiple computers, it's klunky. Waiting for apps to sync is klunky. Being unable to transfer files to any instance of iTunes other than the one you sync that single iThing to is klunky.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    I want to know if the printing feature is system wide (Safari and Apps) or is it just for iWork apps only. We just got a iPad and sometimes my wife has to print out coupons from websites. Is it going to work for that or not?
  • Reply 17 of 34
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MALFEITOR View Post

I want to know if the printing feature is system wide (Safari and Apps) or is it just for iWork apps only. We just got a iPad and sometimes my wife has to print out coupons from websites. Is it going to work for that or not?

Yes! No! Yes!
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MALFEITOR View Post

I thought I saw an extra icon in safari near the bookmark button? Maybe printing is possible from Safari.

I was hoping for iPhone/iPad tethering
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Tethering, if made available, would cost you a monthly fee from ATT, and force you to drop your unlimited data.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    They aren't. The video states that iOS 4.2 will be available for ALL iDevices.

Quote: