Apple unveils new iPod touch with Retina Display, forward-facing camera

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

The classic is not dead it's still alive and kicking

Alive? Sure. Kicking? Not so sure. My guess is they are probably ramping down and draining inventory. At best it's a placeholder for only a little while longer.
  • Reply 62 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

It'll be torn apart and the specs will be posted within 24 hours of release.

Be patient.

No need to be patient, all the specs have been on Apple's website for the past 2 hours.
  • Reply 63 of 110
    how does it happen that it can take 30x 1280×720 per second and cannot take more than 960 x 720 as pic ??? This is the only thing that stoppes me from buying it cannon imaging buying something with little better VGA camera ... agian ... as I did 5 years again.
  • Reply 64 of 110
    Isn't there always a but.. Still no FM radio? Doesn't anyone here listen to NPR? Local news etc? I podcast quite a bit, but I refuse to Podcast every program and internet radio streams drain battery, and tax the cpu rendering it an unacceptable alternative. I HATE that Apple does this. I know I am the minority but damn, damn it.. not interested in the Nano.
  • Reply 65 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Isn't there always a but.. Still no FM radio? Doesn't anyone here listen to NPR? Local news etc? I podcast quite a bit, but I refuse to Podcast every program and internet radio streams drain battery, and tax the cpu rendering it an unacceptable alternative. I HATE that Apple does this. I know I am the minority but damn, damn it.. not interested in the Nano.

I know they do it all in the name of product differentiation, but I would also like to have the FM radio in the touch. It's like a 5 cent tuner chip by this time.
  • Reply 66 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribou123 View Post

No need to be patient, all the specs have been on Apple's website for the past 2 hours.

No camera specs on the Apple website.
  • Reply 67 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

As someone else mentioned, rear camera is 960x720 for stills. Disappointing, but hardly deal-breaking.
  • Reply 68 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

The classic is not dead it's still alive and kicking

More like life support and a coma.

Dead? No.

Vibrant? Hardly.

Same price, no upgraded specs? It's as good as dead.
  • Reply 69 of 110
    Quote:

Copy and pasted from Apple website, ipodtouch specs page

""still photos (960 x 720) with back camera""
  • Reply 70 of 110
    iladilad Posts: 39member
    What gets me is while the nano retains the fm radio why doesn't the new touch get it. I really wanted the fm in the touch. I wonder if it can be added or is the touch missing the fm hardware. Also leaving out gps is just dumb. I'm glad about rentals for tv shows but I still want the purchase option. I don't like how apple always likes to take away user choice. I hate the it's their way or no way attitude. So what happens to older appletv? Does it continue to function as normal? They should add visualizer to the appletv interface.
  • Reply 71 of 110
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    I'm guessing the classic is on the road to being discontinued and they're trying to sell off the remaining stock.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

Steve said "all new designs for every model". Is the classic not considered an iPod?

• Reply 72 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

Once again no GPS in the iPod Touch? Guess I wait another year.

GPS and 3G is what I wanted and figured I'd never get it so I finally gave up and got an iphone. Apple and ATT win. But I'm not complaining too much because the iphone 4 is pretty darned awesome. After reading all the FUD, it's amazing to see firsthand how great an iDevice it really is and how silly the complaints are.
  • Reply 73 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evil Monkey Creative View Post

Can someone confirm this? I looked all over the apple site and it would appear that the new iPod Nano has lost its video playing AND TAKING capabilities. Seems like a step backward since it was the first iPod to be able to take video!

Yes, it is a step backward in that regard - but it has a tiny little screen now. If you want to watch video, the Touch is the way to go - it seems the nano is heavily music oriented now.

Not a bad thing I think!
  • Reply 74 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EnAhe View Post

how does it happen that it can take 30x 1280×720 per second and cannot take more than 960 x 720 as pic ??? This is the only thing that stoppes me from buying it cannon imaging buying something with little better VGA camera ... agian ... as I did 5 years again.

Heck, it's got cameras, enough for me! And even that still cam is better than my cell phone camera which I use for spontaneous memories photography. If your goal is to make impressive photographs, get a real camera - and the Touch at whatever it is (they say it's HD, over 1000 pixel wide res) video is more than enough for YouTube quality video.
  • Reply 75 of 110
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    The best MP3 player on the planet just got better.
  • Reply 76 of 110
    Is it just me or new the iPod Touch comes with the standard earphones not the Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic??
  • Reply 77 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-Cheese View Post

Yes, it is a step backward in that regard - but it has a tiny little screen now. If you want to watch video, the Touch is the way to go - it seems the nano is heavily music oriented now.

Not a bad thing I think!

Apple likely has lots of data on usage and likely know how much the cam was being used as well as how much people would prefer a smaller form factor. The latter seems to have won the day and they produced a very nice little device. The wife wants one and I might "borrow" it to try out the pedometer while trying to lose a pound or two or three or...
  • Reply 78 of 110
    Hmmm, I was relieved when I read this article thinking that the new device had the same camera but now I'm hearing it's a less capable more compact component, likely without autofocus capability. This will probably limit the device's usage for OCR (E.g. On-the-fly lookup of words in a book's text by pointing the video camera at it). So this may mean that quite a few visual recognition apps (OCR, bar-code readers, etc) that work on the Iphone 3S/4 won't work on the new Ipod Touchs.

But wowee, who cares that it can't be used for any of this stuff right when we get a device 2.1mm even thinner than the iPhone4 (which was already pretty thin)?

All I can say is I hope the camera at least has AF.
  • Reply 79 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribou123 View Post

Copy and pasted from Apple website, ipodtouch specs page

""still photos (960 x 720) with back camera""

I know but what pixel count each and does the back camera have a backside illuminated sensor like on the phone?
  • Reply 80 of 110
    Quote:

I know but what pixel count each and is the back camera backlit LED like on the phone?

960 x 720 is the pixel count. There is no mention of a LED flash because there is none. They only list features that is has, not ones that it doesn't.