Apple introduces iTunes 10 with Ping social network

Comments

• Reply 81 of 105
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    The interface does seem a lot more color-less. I also noticed the artwork in Album List view is a lot smaller than before.
  • Reply 82 of 105
    I just had the same thing happen to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

I just checked and it said 10 was available for download. I clicked download and it was downloading 9. Then I reloaded the download page and it went to saying 10 was coming soon. Reloaded a minute later and now I'm downloading 10!

• Reply 83 of 105
    So, should one update to iTunes 10 or just stick to 9.2.1?
  • Reply 84 of 105
    I refreshed twice more and now I've installed 10 and everything seems fine.
  • Reply 85 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I refreshed twice more and now I've installed 10 and everything seems fine.

Yep just hit refresh a few times, seems to default to 9, but a few refreshes shows the 10 download.

Thanks.
  • Reply 86 of 105
    does anyone know if the 16mb video ram requirement is real?
  • Reply 87 of 105
    Just got it downloaded and its running. No bugs so far except there is still no 64-bit version on Mac OS. With exceptionally large libraries (such as with stock sound effects libraries in addition to video and music, and piles of PDF as ebooks) it gets sluggish as 32-bit and i was hoping 64-bit would give it a bit of a boost due to the additional registers that offers. But apparently still no 64-bit mac version of iTunes.
  • Reply 88 of 105
    Anyone know how to enable ping? I don't see it in the sidebar in 10.0
  • Reply 89 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gcarswell View Post

Anyone know how to enable ping? I don't see it in the sidebar in 10.0

Nevermind, it's under the STORE in the sidebar when you login to itunes
  • Reply 90 of 105
    ... and using ping. Does anyone else feel like its Just a public "History" page? Meaning your profile is just a history of what you have downloaded or rated on iTunes, with the option to follow your favorite artists. Am I missing something here?
  • Reply 91 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

The interface does seem a lot more color-less. I also noticed the artwork in Album List view is a lot smaller than before.

You can resize the Album artwork with the little slider at the top of the page, right hand side. Also, if you have album artwork being displayed in the left hand bottom corner try clicking on it while its playing. It now has play options!
  • Reply 92 of 105
    Did anyone ever notice that after iTunes 9 was released, when you pause your music then skip to the next song, the song/artist/album go blank?

I used to like to pause my music and have it on shuffle, then skip through until I found a song that I liked, then press play. Since iTunes 9, I've had to have the music playing while skipping through songs, resulting in me hearing the first split second of every song.

A small thing, but one of those things I had gotten used to ever since early versions of iTunes.
  • Reply 93 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Ping.... Bing... Really?

It's good to see that Apple is finally adopting a few of the ZUNE Marketplace's social networking features,

this was a major feature on lala.com. probably one of the main reasons Apple bought them.

and it's one peeve I have. I had several follows and followers on lala but I don't know their facebook etc to find them again. it would have been great if I could put in my old lala.com info and be linked together. so if they start up Ping we'd connect again.

as for those saying 'they should have gone with twitter' give them time. Remember they can't just put in the links without the other side agreeing to it. give it a month or so and we'll have itunes 10.1 'now with twitter too'
  • Reply 94 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azjay View Post

... and using ping. Does anyone else feel like its Just a public "History" page? Meaning your profile is just a history of what you have downloaded or rated on iTunes, with the option to follow your favorite artists. Am I missing something here?

Actually, it will be really cool to see what everyone's listening to. The artist pages seem pretty cool. It's another way to interact with them. If you ask me, this replaces myspace/twitter for artists. It will also lead to more music downloads.
  • Reply 95 of 105
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird View Post

...is iTunes 10 on OS X 10.6 64 bit yet?

Nope \
  • Reply 96 of 105
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercivic View Post

The artist pages seem pretty cool. It's another way to interact with them.

All 12 of them?

Am I missing the list of artists with Ping pages? All I see are the same recommended artists, over and over again
  • Reply 97 of 105
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Ping.... Bing... Really?

It's good to see that Apple is finally adopting a few of the ZUNE Marketplace's social networking features, though admittedly, iTunes is looking in serious need of an aesthetic makeover, especially when compared to the elegance of MS' Zune Marketplace.

Actually, when you look at some of the announcements, it almost seems like Apple is a bit afraid of MS and Windows Phone 7, or at least concerned about WP7.

Today, Apple announces Ping, which as you point out is very similar to the Zune social networking that was present in 2006.

Today, Apple announces Game Center, which seems to be very similar to Xbox Live which has been around for several years.

MS is shelling out a lot of money to promote the WP7, and both the Zune and Xbox Live integration are major selling points.

You gotta wonder.
  • Reply 98 of 105
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercivic View Post

Actually, it will be really cool to see what everyone's listening to. The artist pages seem pretty cool. It's another way to interact with them. If you ask me, this replaces myspace/twitter for artists. It will also lead to more music downloads.

might want to give it more than 24 hours to call it a twitter replacement
  • Reply 99 of 105
    Ping is absolute crap! One can only select profiling music from one's Library if it has been purchased via iTunes. I have 1000's of CD's burned to a HDD using Apple Lossless and about 30 tracks purchased from iTunes store. Ping profiles my music taste based on these 30 or so purchased tracks only! How can this limitation possibly reflect my taste in music, artists and culture?

Many of the bands which help to nail my musical tastes aren't even available on iTunes!

Ping's parsing recommendations and networking is thus rendered absolutely useless.

So, that's Genius and Ping which are complete failures. The Genius algorithm always produces the most absurd selections. I had hoped 10 would improve this shortcoming but it obviously hasn't been tweaked.

iTunes is Bloatware in the worst tradition of Microsoft apps and Steve Jobs should be thoroughly ashamed of the way in which this core app is developing into a hideous 32Bit monster on tortoise legs.

I can't believe just how awful iTunes has become.
  • Reply 100 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Ping is absolute crap! One can only select profiling music from one's Library if it has been purchased via iTunes.

Not true. You can manually select any music that's available on iTunes, not just what you've purchased. Have you tagged your music properly?

Of course this doesn't help when the artist isn't available. Fortunately, even my most obscure favorites are. The one I was looking for that isn't is a band called "Balloon" from 1990.