iTunes 10 now available for download

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
After minor delays, Apple's latest version of iTunes is ready for download.

iTunes 10, announced Wednesday by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs, includes the new Ping music social networking feature, AirPlay for wireless media streaming, a redesigned interface and a new logo.

The new iTunes logo keeps the prominently displayed musical notes, but no longer contains a CD in the background, a fitting change given that Jobs expects Apple to surpass all CD sales in the U.S. by next spring.

During Wednesday's keynote, Jobs said the new version would be available starting Wednesday, but users were unable to download the software for most of the day. Instead, a "Coming Soon" button redirected users to iTunes 9.2.1. Some users have reported trouble downloading the file, although increased traffic to Apple's website following Wednesday's announcements may be the cause.

The 82mb file can be downloaded at apple.com/itunes/download/.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 153
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Cool - downloading now.

I didn't think it would be out until next week? Oh well!
  • Reply 2 of 153
    Still does not work on my Windows machine. Says 9.2.1 is the most current version
  • Reply 3 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Still does not work on my Windows machine. Says 9.2.1 is the most current version

Direct Links

Mac OS X

Windows 32 Bit

Windows 64 Bit
  • Reply 4 of 153
    yea, I guess this is not an update therefore it doesn't work through the Apple Software Updater, it requires a manual download and install.
  • Reply 5 of 153
    Quote:

yea, I guess this is not an update therefore it doesn't work through the Apple Software Updater, it requires a manual download and install.

Still, a bit weird that it has to be done through Apple's website rather than Software Update.

Downloading right now....
  • Reply 6 of 153
    Quote:

Same for me when I select 'Check for updates' on my Windows XP
  • Reply 7 of 153
    Maybe since its a major update its considered a seperate object therefore not included in Software Update, but i'm just speculating. I think in the past they did the same thing, and required you to download new versions via apple.com.
  • Reply 8 of 153
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Windows 64 bit version available.

OS X version still 32 bit.

Wonderful. I know, I know, it's not that big of a deal but it's the principal of the thing don't you know.
  • Reply 9 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Wonderful. I know, I know, it's not that big of a deal but it's the principal of the thing don't you know.

It's a big deal when your library has over 200,000 items of various sorts. (not illegal music, just sound effects, clips, pdfs, on top of years of music collection from CD and purchasing, etc.)
  • Reply 10 of 153
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post

Direct Links

Mac OS X

Windows 32 Bit

Windows 64 Bit

Thanks Scuba!
  • Reply 11 of 153
    Where's Ping? Not obvious.....
  • Reply 12 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Where's Ping? Not obvious.....

Inside the iTunes store. Once in the store, it should either be in the top right corner, or scrolling through the Features.

Once you opt-in and accept the terms, you should see a Ping option underneath the iTunes Store tab on the left sidebar.
  • Reply 13 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post

Maybe since its a major update its considered a seperate object therefore not included in Software Update, but i'm just speculating. I think in the past they did the same thing, and required you to download new versions via apple.com.

It's up in Software Update now!
  • Reply 14 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshong View Post

Inside the iTunes store. Once in the store, it should either be in the top right corner, or scrolling through the Features.

Once you opt-in and accept the terms, you should see a Ping option underneath the iTunes Store tab on the left sidebar.

Very cool. Thanks!
  • Reply 15 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yeah, still 32 bit, but it does run much faster. Remember 64 bit Snow Leopard can run 32 bit applications. I don't think 64 bit Windows is capable of such a feat.
  • Reply 16 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

Yeah, still 32 bit, but it does run much faster. Remember 64 bit Snow Leopard can run 32 bit applications. I don't think 64 bit Windows is capable of such a feat.

It sure is. I know Snow Leopard is the greatest thing since sliced bread (I love it on my MacBook), but not everything it does is a "feat."

Besides, 64-bit Windows (or OSX) would be practically useless if it didn't support 32-bit programs, since 99% of the programs out there for both OSes are still 32-bit.
  • Reply 17 of 153
    I have iTunes 10. I used to have folders than contained all my various playlists. Now I just see the folders and the songs are inside, but not organized by playlist. Any idea how to fix this?
  • Reply 18 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trentonkyle23 View Post

I have iTunes 10. I used to have folders than contained all my various playlists. Now I just see the folders and the songs are inside, but not organized by playlist. Any idea how to fix this?

Odd, I'm not experiencing this problem. The icons have changed, but all my playlists, smart playlists, and folders of such, are still arranged just as they were before. Maybe try repairing permissions?
  • Reply 19 of 153
    It's so....gray.
  • Reply 20 of 153
    I actually like the UI - I haven't in the past.